1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Have been the Biggest Suprises This Year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThrillaNManilla, Dec 9, 2023.

1. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

A lot of negativity and infighting going around in the GARM for far too long. Hopefully, everyone can handle one positive thread.

So, what has surprised you the most about the team and the players?

FVV: Never understood how impactful he is until he started playing for the Rockets. His leadership is a huge asset to this team. Sets-up his teammates with ease, while not turning the ball over. While his shooting numbers are historically sub-optimal, you can always count on FVV to hit timely shots that change the game's momentum. He plays solid ass defense even though he is 'too short' and never seen someone so good at stripping and poking the ball away.

Brooks: Since when did he become an efficient scorer and shooter? Jalen should take notes of his lay-up package as he is super efficient at the basket. A dog on defense who can matchup with 1-5.

ALP: Dude is an all-star. This leap in the third-year was super unexpected especially on the defensive side of the floor.

Ime: I thought he was a solid coach, but did not expect him to have this big of an impact on the team so quickly. We went from the bottom of the barrel on defense to a top-5 defensive team. Also, it is refreshing to have a coach who can actually string a sentence together as he is a great interviewee. What other coach would call LeBron a soft ass b*tch. Ime is another DOG.

Bari: Dude is actually moving his feet well on defense and making great strides on both sides of the floor. He is becoming automatic in the midrange. Now he is using his length to snag boards and is overall really active on offense and defense. This is the type of leap we were hoping for in his second year. He should be getting more touches though.

Holiday: Schools out, it is Holidayyy. If you know, you know. Enough said.

Jock: Literally the only negative on the team. He a walking contract and that is it.

There have been so many other pleasant surprises as well.

This team has a really bright future.

2. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

Didn’t expect much from FVV, Dillon and Jeff tbh. I honestly thought they were here to collect paycheck but man they showed our young Gunn heart of the winners

Ankara1923, vince and albuster like this.
  3. raining threes

That they're playing together this quickly and so hard every game.

The culture of the team has changed and that's the biggest difference in the team. Ime Udoka.

albuster and JumpMan like this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

How fast the whole defense turned around, not just Fred & Dillon who I expected to be solid, but also the young players we already had.

Dillon Brooks being a lights-out three point shooter to start the season.

Amen getting hurt after four games :(

albuster likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

The young guns buying in to the defensive side so early on. You just don't see that transformation overnight, which just shows you how coachable they really are. Expect them to only get better as the years go on.

clutchdabear, DJ and albuster like this.
  6. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

The biggest surprise is Alpi - he's definitely one of the best Centers in the league. All we needed was a point guard to help him get into his spots and boy he's eating!

fryjol7, Ankara1923, albuster and 2 others like this.
  7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Jalen Green not taking the next step to superstardom.

Eventually we'll need another all-star level player to put next to Sengun and idk where we are going to get that from right now.

Was a fan of Sengun since Y1 so I knew he had what it takes to make that leap eventually with enough playtime.

Jock being a complete non-factor.

Holiday being better than advertised.

Ime Udoka being a legit good coach.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Probably how much of a positive Brooks is on both sides of the floor

9. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Biggest surprise is how solid the roster looks on defense with Mr Udoka leading the pack. I have been super critical of Stone's management, but no matter why, they are looking really great.

Also Dillon Brooks shooting 40% from 3pt land and how committed to his role he is. I mean, what the heck dude, he made me a believer.
    Jeff Green super sub at 37yo.
    Holiday great signing
    Not needing anything at all from our 1st rid picks.

Great year so far.

albuster, OmegaSupreme and HD729 like this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't yet hate Dillon Brooks

Sengun has been better than I thought he would be

Amen looks like he's never dribbled a basketball before

Landale is absolutely worthless

Jabari started slower than I expected, although he's now playing better

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

12. CertifiedTroll

Alpi playing great defense.
    Brooks choosing to not be a shot jacker.
    FVV awful looking side spin.
    Teams great defense.
    Whitemore going from Summer League MVP to RGV.
    Beating Denver multiple times.
    Plenty more thoughts, but man is this team much more fun to watch than Silas's (or Stone's (however you want to put it)).

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

1). That we are winning, and actually beating good teams.
    2). Bari’s growth in year 2
    3). Dillon Brooks’ shooting

14. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Shocking surprises:

- Dillon Brooks being a sharpshooter AND showing mature shot selection. wtf. We were all bracing ourselves for him to put up 17 shots/night and shooting terribly. I keep waiting for him to hit a slump and it keeps not happening. I'll be patient with him when it inevitably happens; he's earned it. Maximum effort everywhere on the court regardless if he gets shots or not.

- From worst defense in the league to top 5? Top 3? Insane. Watching the team of 20-year-olds force elite offenses into shot clock violations is like listening to Mozart. We have important new vets, but most of the players are carryovers from last years' league-worst outing. Changing team defense means changing an entire culture and group energy, and that doesn't always happen quickly. Jaw dropping, near-instantaneous turnaround.

- Mental toughness: opponents smash the Rockets in the face and they just keep hitting back and fighting. Effort and hustle is always there whether they're up 20 or down 20.

Lovely surprises:

- Sengun's defense and minutes played. We knew he was awesome but his defense was one of the major question marks going into the season. Also his endurance to play 30-35mpg. I really thought Jalen would get the franchise tag before him, but boy was I wrong. Ime chose to match Alpi vs Jokic minute-for-minute in single coverage for four games- and we beat the champs 3 times doing it. What world is this.

- Currently 2 games above .500 - before the season, many of us would be happy to see the Rockets end up winning 38 games; after all, that would have been a huge jump from worst in the league for 3 consecutive years. Now it seems entirely possible for the Rockets to end the season above .500. Also, this team is built for playoffs. Ugly games? We love them. Physicality, nasty defense, defensive rebounding, discipline, grit... Other than maybe being forced to go ISO more often, this team has to make zero adjustments going from regular season to playoffs (unlike some others.)

Slight disappointments:

- Amen's handle. I've only watched him in the few Rockets game he's played and if he didn't turn the ball over, he seemed to always come close with the dribble almost going out of control. I have no doubt he'll do much better in the future, but his start here has not been good.

- JG. Not a big disappointment, has had several good games. But before the season we were all excited about him making the next big jump and that hasn't happened. Seems like he's still looking for his flow & how he fits in.

fryjol7, IvanLCPM, Ankara1923 and 9 others like this.
  15. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

I forgot how bad Jock has been to us… pretty tough to look that bad and seeing him on injured list didn’t move a needle at all.

ThrillaNManilla and albuster like this.
  16. albuster

albuster Member

The posts on this thread, so far, are very impressive due to the posters' objectivity and pretty awesome respective analyses. I think this is the best series of posters that I have ever read since joining CF. Carry on lads!!!

Ankara1923, Easy, Aruba77 and 2 others like this.
  17. vince

vince Member

That trio had met and far exceeded my expectations. I thought they’d be good role players, but those dudes are playing like the heart beat of the Rockets. It almost seems like they’d been the backbone of the team chemistry.

The way that trio has established Sengun as the first option is fascinating. And the leadership by Green to accept being the 2nd or 3rd option is awesome to watch. Jabari Smith thriving with defense, rebounds, and 3 pointers is also a good sign.

The veterans have focused the Rockets access their best options and exploit any matchup, and the young bucks have embraced it!

#17 vince, Dec 9, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  18. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

When the Rockets played the Grizzlies, I was always very happy when Brooks took shots as his shot selection was horrendous. He still does this on occasion with the Rockets, but overall he has shot within the flow of the offense. Also, he is shooting so effectively overall. I thought he would be a negative on offense; however, he has been consistent for us.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am surprised that I am surprised and that I do not remember......

• I thought overall the Offense would be a tick better.....and the Defense a tick worse than that......

• I knew the veterans would help......

• I did not expect to be down 0-3 as I did not expect the 9-1 Home Court.......
    • Who is the new Voodoo Practitioner .....how are you mostly healthy....

20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I'm still mind blown how everyone thinks this is a surprise. He was MVP at every level he played. 18 year olds don't just randomly win mvps in grown men leagues. Only special players do stuff like that, You knew it would translate with minutes and opportunity. He flashed soo much the last two years.

That being said the biggest surprise is Dillon brooks 3pt percentage.