1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson recalled

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Dec 9, 2023.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Holiday and Amen are fine on the court together. FVV's minutes will decline to a more reasonable amount around 30. Tate is very close to only playing trash minutes since Tari has taken his place in the rotation and Amen can play 1-3. We are a good backup center from having a very effective second unit.

burlesk and ramotadab like this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hopefully the dealership fixes his shooting at no cost and gives us a loaner.

3. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I'm sure that sounded a lot better in your head

glimmertwins and ramotadab like this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Living rent free

ramotadab likes this.
  5. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I literally have no idea who you are. I just joined the board.

6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

All 3 players are maximized when at the PG position. It doesn't mean they can't play SG, just means ideally that PG position is where they should be to maximize their value. If Amen had a jumper, this would be a moot point, but until he does, he is strongest at PG where he can bully smaller players when he drives.

ramotadab likes this.
  7. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I don't want to emulate the Pistons in any way.

burlesk and ramotadab like this.
  8. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I agree, Amen and Holiday are fine together, just like FVV and Holiday have been very good together this year. Everything looks better when Holiday looks like a $ 20,000,000 a year player, when he is paid league minimum. Ideally though, you don't want a 6'0 shooting guard, or a shooting guard with a liability of a jumpshot.

Corrosion and ramotadab like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He is the most consistently negative person about this Rocket's roster. In the off-season, he took turns bashing each one of the young guys. Welcome to the board.

Arnel, anthony59237 and GOATuve like this.
  10. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Thanks and appreciate the heads up. I don't get the negativity in general. Obviously there's too much for me to get through but it certainly seems like a few people are dialed in just to be miserable for whatever reason. It makes absolutely no sense because the team is trending in the right direction.

Seems like a cool community. Again, appreciate the welcome

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If you're pg is 6'7" you can have a 6'0 shooting guard. Ideally no guard should be 6'0". FVV can't hit a layup to save his life, because of his height. Amen's strength is his ability to drive and dish. What Holiday needs to do is keep this new found consistency at the 3 pt line. A four guard rotation of Amen, FVV, Holiday, and Green can be very effective, especially with a coach like Ime who is proving to be excellent at making adjustments in game. If Holiday does lose his consistency with the 3 ball then I think we should try to get Cam into the mix more quickly. We have to have somebody that can score off the bench.

burlesk, withmustard and ramotadab like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Those thinking this is a rest for FVV must have forgot how Amen looked to start the season lol

I won’t be surprised if Amens offensive duties are changed to more of wing role until he improves/becomes more comfortable. That’s if he’s put back into the rotation.

Trading Tate and giving Amen his minutes/role makes sense to me. Getting a real backup C would help with that too, as we could keep Jabari/Green at PF.

If guys looked at positions as defensive and not offensive y’all wouldn’t have these problems.

Wonder if any Nuggets fans ever said “If Jokic is our PG how is Murray going to get any minutes!?!?”

ThrillaNManilla likes this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Holiday is taking FVV's minutes. I think Amen will predominately play the 3 and take most of Tate's minutes.

14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Amen is versatile enough to get minutes all over the place. Making him your primary backup anything probably isn't necessary.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Amen had some rough games to start, but the last few before he was injured the game was slowing down and he was contributing on both sides of the court. I agree he will get some minutes at the 3 and will get some minutes playing beside FVV. The bottom line is with Amen, FVV, Green, Holiday (or other) in the guard rotation, FVV’s minutes will have to be reduced at some point. In terms of rest and practice time our schedule is going to be pretty brutal the rest of the way. We have 8 back to backs and rarely more that a day off between games the rest of the season. FVV will become less and less effective, if he continues to play monster minutes.

Hopefully we can start blowing some teams out early so that FVV and Sengun can get some extra rest. Right now, when Sengun or FVV leave the court, we are hanging on for dear life.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  16. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Good thing Amen is 6’7, so playing him alongside with FVV and Holiday is an option.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Well hopefully he can get playing mins and contribute to our positive trend.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Finally. Good deal. So, I guess Amen carries around a little Rondo and GP. But, the size and athleticism perhaps portends something more.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think starting off we can add a 10th player to the rotation and get Amen 10-12 mins per night.

Fred is playing too many minutes anyways.

Corrosion likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree and that was kind of my point. It doesn’t really matter which one is a pg or sg on any given offensive possession. Amen can guard 1-3 so matchups will dictate who is guarding who the majority of the time. Of course, our defense switches a lot, so Holiday will end up on the shooting guard sometimes or on transition defense.

ThatBoyNick likes this.