1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

He reminds me alot of Bill Yeoman. Same demeanor.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

4. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My two biggest b****es against Holgorsen.
    A team that can tackle would make me so happy! Blocking is just a bonus.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

"I saw Coach Sampson on my way in and one goal is we're going to play as hard as his basketball teams do"

Coach Fritz

fcking love it

Tommyboy, MadMax, DonnyMost and 3 others like this.
  6. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Just heard Fritz on 790. I LOVE this hire. Perfect leader to course correct this team. He's worked his way up to this, he's done it all.

Jake Tower and YOLO like this.
  7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

He ain't going to do that. Dana was in Operation Chill Out the moment he signed with Houston.

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Talk about a story starter...

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The fact that he has won everywhere he's been tells me that he didn't just luck into a good quarterback here or there, he can actually COACH. Feels like he is really excited to coach in the Big XII and plans to prove himself here, too.

Jturbofuel, Jake Tower and Rock Block like this.
  10. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

He just looks like he’ll bring stable, steady leadership. This feels like a different hire than UH has made in football in a long while. Sumlin and Herman were shooting stars (then falling stars elsewhere).Tony Levine and Major Applewhite were in-over-their-heads “continuity” coordinators. Holgorsen was a lemon. Fritz has 30 years of experience as a head coach. He left every program better off than he found it. I think he’ll do the same in Houston.

#7270 dc rock, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    Brando2101, Rock Block and Pat like this.
  11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Just a reminder that Major was 15-11 as head coach at UH. I'm not sure getting fired after 2 seasons of above 500 ball is really indicative of the coach.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Is 15-11 and 0-3 in shitty bowl games good

major isn’t meant to be a head coach which remains true today

13. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

If, and its a big if, if he can get his football team to play as hard as CKS's basketball team does, count me in as a supporter of CWF.

Now that we have hired him and red bull chugger is no longer in the picture at least we are heading in the right direction. It will be interesting to see what type of recruiting he does, what type of assistants he hires, and what type of portal additions he attracts.

While it would be amazing if he turned the football program around in one year realistically there is a lot of work to do and more likely it will take time to get the program to compete at the level it needs to compete against the level of competition we are facing in the Big 12. We have to overcome 7 wasted years of Applewhite / Holgorson.

CKS deserves a statue and perpetual recognition for what he has done for our basketball program. If Fritz can be anywhere near the leader, motivator and everything else that Sampson has already done and been, then we will all be able to look back and realize that we made the right decision.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Fritz turned Sam Houston into a national (FCS) powerhouse almost overnight. I was bummed when he left but that's the nature of being a smaller school. I'm glad to see him back in the area and hope he returns UH to prominence.

15. Poloshirtbandit

He also coached a team that gave up 70 points to Army.

16. Nook

Nook Member

I can’t say whether Major will get another chance and prove to be a good head coach at a high level. I can, however, say he wasn’t a good coach at UH and underachieved.

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Willie will adjust his offense to fit his players. The stuborness of Dana to keep running dive plays when they didn't work would drive me crazy.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Major started behind the 8 ball by getting hired so late in the year. By the time he got the job, every DC on the planet already had a gig and he had to take Mark D'onofrio (probably the worst FBS DC in the country).

His offenses were good to sometimes great, but the defense was absolutely atrocious. Like, irredeemably bad. And somehow Mark got a 2nd year.

Ultimately Major just couldn't recruit like it was advertised and made a bunch of bad hires that ultimately were too much to overcome.

I think he's a decent OC and a great QB coach, but he was clearly in over his head as an HC.

Nook likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. YOLO

YOLO Member