1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was more than a few months. Try a year and a few months. After that, the Astros called up everybody within the expected time frame of them being “ready”.

They also tried to coerce him to sign an extension in order to get promoted sooner… that didn’t set well.

raining threes and eliefor3 like this.
  2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

The owner who okayed it and financially benefited from it still is here

3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I was just trying to be nice :)

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It wasn't a year and a few months, they kept him in the minors a few months longer than they should have.

They certainly still screwed him on the extra year but there's no need to exaggerate like they cost him multiple years. He did not deserve to be called up at the beginning of the 2013 season.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Wonder what the trade cost of Tyler O’Neil would be. Struggles with injuries obviously, but good glove caliber in LF and will make around 6 million this year. They have flat out said they are looking to move him

raining threes likes this.
  6. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

On top of that, it's not like it was just the Astros. Most teams, if not all were doing it.

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm not saying he would be guaranteed to be a wasted acquisition, he is still a MLB quality outfielder, but he is another guy who is much much better vs LH pitching than RH pitching. There are better fits.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

At the $$ cost Crane is willing to pay

Who are the LH bats that have better upside?

I agree a LH bat would be better, but in our price range I’m not sure we will find the ideal fit

Who all do you have in mind?

9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Did we sign Ohtani yet?

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In retrospect, I am glad he went elsewhere.
    2021 - .907 OPS (78 games)
    2022 - .814 OPS
    2023 - .732 OPS
    2024 ?
    2025 ??
    2026 ???

He is making $22M. Signed through 2026.
    https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/toronto-blue-jays/george-springer-14174/
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/32078/george-springer

Can he even play CF these days?
    If I was Toronto I would want out of that deal.

The Beard and Nook like this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You are only looking at it from the Astros perspective. They held him up in 2014 by at least 14 days costing him a year's worth of "promotion" (to keep the analogy) at free agent prices. He could have been called up a few months in 2013 and lost a few months of "promotion" at MLB salary over minor league salary. I think it is fair to say the Astros cost Springer a year and a few months of "promotion" while it only cost the Astros a few months of his services (though he was in the minors [i.e. technically they still had his services and misused them to cheat him out of money] so he worked just as hard if not harder and got his pay docked for a year and a few months).

Edit: I get every team was doing. It still doesn't mean that a player shouldn't get mad. Though, as a whole I don't get mad at teams for doing it as the player's union signs the CBA every 5 years knowing this will happen (i.e., if you sign a CBA that doesn't allow for a mechanism to prevent teams from doing something, you are basically accepting it. I am happy that the union at least tried to provide an incentive to call up players opening day, but expect teams will still operate in their own self interest usually).

#1731 Joe Joe, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    Radricky likes this.
  12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

OK, someone bring me up to speed on this subject.

Is minor league playing time manipulation something that happens a lot? With most players? By most teams?

Or not?

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yes but not as much as before since they changed the rules in the last CBA.

jim1961, No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So basically you are saying Springer should have been called up at the end of 2012 despite never even having hit in AA, because that's where a year a few months earlier gets you. He certainly did crush it in Lancaster, we all know how hard it was to hit there.

George Springer 'should" have been playing MLB baseball around midseason 2013 give or take that's not even a full season, much less a full season plus.

raining threes and No Worries like this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Thanks. That is what I thought.

So Springer wasnt singled out, he just chose to get upset about it?

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Mid 2013 is when he would have been called up…. But had the team been in a different position contending wise, he likely could have been called up early 2013 given his age and trajectory.

He was offered the “blackmail/extortion” extension offer early to mid 2013. (Memory fading… unbelievable that was already 10 years ago).

He has to wait a full more year to hit FA based on this decision, so yes… he was delayed by a year and a few months.

#1736 Nick, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
  17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I have few wishes.

Ryan O'Hearn looks to be expendable in Baltimore and he is estimated to make $3.3M in arbitration. Will be a FA next year though.

I bet Urquidy or France could get him and maybe even a prospect.

Played 70g @1B, 6 @LF and 23 @RF last year.

118 wRC+=119 vs RHP, 108 vs LHP

Of course Nolan Jones of the Rockies would be my absolute dream acquisition.

Plays all 4 corner positions (though 3B may be emergency only) and may have the best arm in baseball.

135 wRC+ = 137 vs RHP, 128 vLHP
    121 wRC+ in Colorado, 148 everywhere else.

And has 5 years of control.

Man would he be expensive though lol

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Astros got the extra option year for Whitley.

19. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Free agent pitcher Erick Fedde is expected to sign a 2 year deal with a mystery team. Expected to be at least $5mil a year. What are the odds that it's the Astros? Need relief pitchers and relatively cheap. His MLB career has been bad but pitched well last year in Korea.

Also anyone mention this already? Astros are apparently 1 of the teams interested in Domingo German. But he has alot of red flags(got suspended for using sticky stuff last year, been suspended for domestic violence, was shutdown last year for alcohol, and refused a minor league assignment last year as well). He pitched a perfect game last year and could potentially be solid if he figured things out. But the guy who was reporting it said Espada was getting hired by the White Sox last year so yeah.....

20. raining threes

Exactly and letting go of Springer was the correct thing to do. If fans want to continue this run they shouldn't get to attached to any players.

Luhnow made the right call on Springer and hopefully Brown has the same views on retaining players as Luhnow had. Sign a reasonable deal or we're going to move on from you when the time is right.