1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Greens 3rd Year Analysis Vs Current SGs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Dec 1, 2023.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

One thing I agree with in terms of being “better” is their paint scoring and efficiency. They’re just dominant in the paint area especially restricted area it’s game over if they’re in there. They’re bigger and more physical than Jalen and I think this is where Jalen needs to improve. The numbers show he is getting to the paint and getting fouls at a very High rate. He just isn’t converting. Again a positive sign in this young season is his restricted area scoring is up there with the best at 60% which is where he needs to maintain. As I said all the dominant guards avg 60% plus in the restricted area (4-5ft area).

BigMaloe, OnlyRockets and OremLK like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Fox in his first 6 seasons was a bad 3pt shooter. This season, his 7th at age 26, he shot significantly better and is shooting 8.5 3s per game. It's still a somewhat small sample size. But the 3pt shooting is a surprising development both in volume and in accuracy for a guy who is already in his prime. That's what makes him jump from a 25-pt scorer to a 30-pt scorer.

I still think they traded the wrong guy. Should have kept Haliburton, who is getting into MVP conversation now. Another lesson learned about not trading a promising young player before his rookie contract is up. Ask OKC about letting go of Harden after 3 seasons.

#102 Easy, Dec 2, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
  3. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

Each of these player were brought up differently through coaching and not sure Green’s start to his career was a good one . Let’s give him little bit more time then we can put it on him . I’ll put any lack of maturity on Green for having any negative effect part of his game . I’ll put coaching and nurturing his game on the team for any negative effect to his game . It’s not always on the player if that makes sense .

4. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

Most important thing is a player's willingness to learn and grow and work on his craft...Does Jalen do that? My answer is yes. Does he have to work harder? My answer is yes. Does he need more time? My answer is absolutely!

Carpe82, clos4life, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

It was a tough decision between Fox and Haliburton. Not sure why they even drafted Haliburton in the first place and kept drafting point guards or combo guard types lol. Fox is more talented overall and a better scorer and it’s worked out for them.

6. OnlyRockets

OnlyRockets Member

I respectfully dissent from this viewpoint. It appears that Jalen is indeed attempting to execute a conversion, however, player #28's presence in the key is creating congestion, impairing Jalen's ability to effectively complete plays near the basket. Additionally, there's a noticeable hesitation on Jalen's part, likely attributed to player #28's demand for the ball during Jalen's drive towards the basket.

Stephen_A likes this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I don’t completely disagree from this view. I have mentioned before Jalen seems hesitant and less aggressive in this offense and it may be due to him tryin to figure it out. And as I said the 2 man FVV Sengun game and Sengun post game has limited Jalen’s touches and driving lanes but this doesn’t explain his paint scoring which is usually him coming off a high screen, dribble hand off or iso dribble drive. He has been lower in efficiency in the paint the last 2 years than the top guards in the league. It’s not new. I think both Udoka and Green need to find ways for him to score. We saw success with him last year when Silas put the ball in his hands as a primary playmaker or 2 man game with Sengun and we have seen it this year. Silas also played 5 out sometimes giving Green the lanes. Udoka needs to find a happy medium and one of the reasons the offense is stagnant at times is when the 2 man FVV PNR is stopped. Offense needs to be more dynamic.

Carpe82 and OnlyRockets like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

That's more of an issue affecting American basketball players coming into the NBA.

napalm06 likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

A little bit better?

Just take the loss..... there's really no argument.

Stephen_A likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, Booker and Chet are all American players so you cannot throw all those in one pot.

The Gonzaga program is very good for big men, they teach you how to stand your ground without fouling that much....by jumping with your body in straight position backwards but not out of control and so absorbing contact with the part of the body that is not going to be bent.

Certain techniques.

That is documented when Chet entered the league.

11. dmoneybangbang

Booker was a great player in year 3 of the NBA? Nope. Chet is a player with great fundamentals and understanding of the game. Of course there are outliers but year 3 isn't some magical number at all in 2023.

Let's be clear a G League team would beat the best college basketball team. It's just a different type of program. I think Udoka is the right coach for Green at this point and I don't see why folks shouldn't be optimistic about Green improving.

cbass and Stephen_A like this.
  12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Chet aint shi+ right now let’s not get ahead pf ourselves

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't fault them for drafting BPA. After a season or two, Haliburton's talent was obvious but didn't fit with Fox. So they had to get rid of one of them. And they chose to trade the younger guy. They probably could have got more if they traded the more established guy. Now Haliburton is already showing that he is likely going to be better than Fox.

I think it's quite similar to the Westbrook-Harden situation.

OremLK, BigMaloe and Stephen_A like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Overall? Yeah. He's still not a good player. He beat the worst case scenario but he's still honestly not a starting caliber player overall.

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Hes already a starting caliber player dunce.

Devin Booker
    Anthony Edwards
    Jaylen Brown
    Tyrese Maxey
    Klay Thompson
    Desmond Bane
    CJ Mccollum
    Cam Thomas
    Donavon Mitchell
    Zach Lavine
    Tyler Herro
    James Harden

Jalen Green

Jordan Clarkson
    Shaedon Sharpe
    Jalen Williams
    Kentavious Caldwell Pope
    Devin Vassell
    Tim Hardaway Jr.
    Austin Reaves
    Malik Monk
    Jordan Poole
    Brandon Miller
    Dejounte Murray
    Jalen Suggs
    Jaden Ivey
    Buddy Hield
    Malik Beasley
    Donte Divencenzo

Hes already a top 15 SG and obvious starting caliber 2 guard.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

how about De’Aaron Fox as a comp? His 3rd yr he shot 29% from 3. But he averaged 21 pts/ almost 7 assists/ and 1.5 steals with a .55 TS%

Fox now shoots 36% from 3. He’s averaging 30 pts/ 6 assists/ and 1.5 steals with a .59 TS%

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Booby is just actively rooting for Jalen green to fail just to toot his horn that he was right all along about Jalen being a bust and Mobley was the most obvious choice.

Some folks are just weird like that

dmoneybangbang and Dobbizzle like this.
  18. invocux

invocux Member

Fox always had nice shooting form. His shooting reminds me of KPJ's shooting they are very similar it's very odd that he shot so bad from 3pt line for so long. Maybe he didn't care about his outside shooting and didn't work on it until this year.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

People are comparing complete 3rd years to Jalen Green playing 16 games in a major adjustment period learning a new offense and defensive scheme. Literally 5 games of playing good could make his numbers look like Ant or Booker 3rd year.

That's how small the sample size is. Why are people saying such matter of fact statements if a small sample size?

5 games of Jabari or Sengun doing bad will also have all the haters of those two crawl out of their graves and **** on them and express not believing in their futures. That's how fickle these comparisons are. We are at a stage of the season where 5 games could completely flop scripts and narratives.

Carpe82 and BigMaloe like this.
  20. OnlyRockets

OnlyRockets Member

Growth growth growth...

Patience is a virtue, folks...Hold your horses, 3rd year is nothing for a 21 years old.