1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 11/28/2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 27, 2023.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

In 11 of the past 13 games, Jabari Smith Jnr has shot 50 per cent or better from the field.

2. JW86

JW86 Member

Tough loss, but some observations:
    - they had all the length and strength to bully us and do what they wanted, but we didn't let them. We played hard!
    - referees made some serious head scratching calls, most by of course Scott Foster.
    - I loved Mavs' coverage, ton of love for us and Dirk loved Sengun and Jabari's play. At one point Dirk said "And there's Scottie from under the basket" after he made a call where Brooks flopped and he was furthest away to call a foul on the Mavs. He's a funny dude. Respect!
    - Green fought with teammates over a couple of rebounds and I loved how they let him have it. Also not being able to secure a rebound after already fighting with others, balls we lost because of it, and ball going out of bounds FVV gave him a stare and talked to him.
    - Green did bounce back and have a solid game despite the mistakes. Still needs to be put in a better position and he needs to cut out those shots where he only he gets to touch it, even at the end of quarters. Unless he's hot from the field. 12 seconds to go and I knew he would take an ill-advised 3...and he did.
    - Udoka is the man, but playing Holiday at the end there when Brooks fouled out when we needed length was a questionable one. He rewarded Holiday, but I would've gone with Tari.
    - Tari was hustling, Tate was everywhere, Jabari was doing it all on both sides, Sengun did his thing, Jeff even had some moments. FVV is always steady with the playmaking, just need that shot to go in a bit more. Brooks stayed with Luka, Jabari too actually, but those silly fouls by Brooks got to go. That goes for the whole team.
    - we had a couple of BIG mistakes where people forgot who they were supposed to cover. I loved how guys were upset about it and in the spirit of the game just had some words.
    - glad this tournament is over, we can play on normal courts again. Respect to Dallas for not accepting the NBA's idea of a basketball court. No Finals logo but somehow a long landing strip and two trophies is not dangerous, slippery? Good for Cuban!

Tfor3, Bo6, ramotadab and 4 others like this.
  3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

FVV absolutely abusing Jalen in the first quarter after multiple Green mistakes was the highlight of the game.

Oh actually the second best thing.

The best thing was continuing to give the ball to the team's best player down the stretch and watch him do what a team's best player is meant to do.

ramotadab, HardenReturns and csc177 like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Random: Really excited about our frontcourt right now. Jabari and Alperen could be a serious problem for the NBA in a couple of years.

Tfor3, Rocketeer, deb4rockets and 4 others like this.
  6. OnlyRockets

OnlyRockets Member

So everyone’s kinda bummed out about how the ball game went down. Let’s shoot the breeze about what's up:

Guard Stuff: Looks like Fred had a bit of a clunker, right? Couldn't score much or get the plays rolling. That's rough for the squad because if the guard's not cooking, everyone else feels the heat. Then there’s Jalen Green fast as lightning, sure, and did the best. The best player in the team, no doubt.

Star D: The thing with trying to stick to Luka like glue is it's a team job, not just a one-person gig. Holiday’s having a tough time, and it’s kinda worrying. No backup, and you’re letting a stud like Luka find his sweet groove – bad news when crunch time hits.

Who's In, Who's Out: Folks aren't over the moon with Fred and Holiday playing at the same time. They seem to step on each other's toes. And Jeff Green clocking in mega minutes – unless he’s got a secret sauce he ain’t spilling, it ain’t clicking.

Now, don't forget about Big Al Sengun. If Sengun's missing his marks, it could be why everyone else is scrambling.

Refs and Whistles: Griping about the refs is a sport in itself, huh? The fouls on Brooks and no ejections definitely got some blood boiling. For sure, a few bad calls can tip the scales in a game.

Putting a bow on it: Sengun's gotta mesh better on offense. The guys handling the ball? Need to even out and make playtime a bit easier for the rest of the crew. And it’s not just about the players – thinking through the lineups and matchups is mega too. Refs throw curveballs sometimes, and that’s just the breaks – got to roll with the punches.

7. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

It's been crystal clear that, to Adam Silver, rockets still a 'question mark' in his Boston Matrix (last season rockets is 'dogs' in matrix without any question)…that means no matter how hard our kids play, W/L all depends on who our opponent is, say next opponent nuggets, If the league's bout to allow nuggets a better berth in playoff picture or a more favorable matchup which helps moving forward to quarter final smoothly, then refs wouldn't even feel shameful to hide their biased calls.
    It is what it is, so instead of expecting we brings somebody down, i feel it's more realistic to focus on whether jalen/Bari learning something from mistakes they make in previous games.

Entropy and Xerobull like this.
  8. VoR

VoR Member

This team never really gets blown out! I really love this team and how much it has grown. I hope Ime is our Popovich and that he stays for 10-20 years!

ramotadab likes this.
  9. VoR

VoR Member

Silver wants the team to finish .500 and be in the play in. Not so hard to figure out. Can't give the fans the whole enchilada after three four tank years.

DeBeards, ramotadab and Entropy like this.
  10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I mised FVV abusing Jalen.

11. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

This shows that Segun is the best player and not green as much as ya want to believe

cmoak1982, ramotadab and csc177 like this.
  12. csc177

csc177 Member

“Jalen Green Sucks”

13. csc177

csc177 Member

Sick of this Jalen green nonsense - he ain’t who all folks pump him up to be

Downtown Sniper and evo8lover like this.
  14. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Lol, agenda...Brooks plays Luka as physical as any player in NBA. But yes, let's play the victim card.

15. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

I was always defending Harden to my friends, saying most of the fouls are correctly called and he could get even more.
    This was a consensus agreement on this forum when Harden was here.

It's really funny (or sad...) to see how the same forum treats other players. Luka is getting 7 FTA per game this season, same as all previous seasons save for last one (11, the only "Harden-esque" season). Yet almost every fan base Dallas plays against cries about Luka's FTs. US fanbases are such crybabies lol.
    I wonder what happens when Embiid or Giannis+Dame play against Rockets? Do you all commit a mass suicide?

16. j@amc

j@amc Member

Game Reaction -- TLDR: Moral Victories < Road Wins -- More Improvement Needed

I feel pretty sure that Luka thought he could get any shot he wanted against Jalen, but Green stayed connected and won that late isolation against one of the best players in the world. He was also facing Kyrie Irving, who has been and continues to be one of the best players in the world at the SG position. The Mavs have so much more experience in clutch situations, far more than FVV or Dillon Brooks.

In the last two years, the Mavs would have taken that early lead and the rout would have been on. So if you like moral victories, it is nice to know our young team can push the Mavericks to make spectacular plays on their home court.

At least from my perspective Jalen's D improved dramatically as this game went along. After another 20 games in this system, things will slow down for him at that end of the court. When they do, and he's not constantly overthinking, we will see his offense pick up.

But moral victories aren't road wins. More improvement is needed across the board, but especially from Jalen Green.

I never like it when I look at the advance stats and see that he played 34 minutes and didn't get a single deflection. That happened to him last year many times. He might play an entire week of games without getting his hands on a ball or have maybe one touch. To me, he's too good an athlete to coast.

Since this group lacks consistent shooting, they will have to win games with more juice on the defensive end of the court. Sadly, Jalen is the weak link in the D for the moment. I hope he'll rise to the challenge, study tape, and focus on the little things that add up.​

Rocketeer and ramotadab like this.
  17. Radricky

Radricky Member

Rockets could have played better but ain’t no way the league was going to allow them to be in their big tournament over Luka and kyrie.

18. conquistador#11

I've grown to really like Luka. Dude probably was playing after having 5 beers.
    Not going to be to tough on Green. Gave excellent effort on defense. When the other team was over the limit early in almost every quarter, he should have feasted on freebies.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

We never beat the Mavs anymore! NEVER!

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was trying to find a place to watch last nights game and guess it was good I didn’t.

At least the Rockets are mediocre and not god awful like the past few years.