1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ausar Vs. Amen Thompson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, May 26, 2023.

?

Who will be the better pro?

1. Ausar

40 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. Amen

142 vote(s)
    78.0%
  1. vince

vince Member

Rockets are going all in for the playoffs or at bare minimum, the play in.

So, these Rockets young players are going to earn their stripes in practice. Other teams may not have competent veterans being viable options, while the young guys figure it out.

I think it’s vastly premature to claim either guy is head and shoulders better than the other. I like the fact that Ausar is playing great with the playing time he’s gotten. But one year does not make a career. Amen is hurt and has had limited minutes when he plays as the team is trying to get wins.

everyday eddie, OremLK and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. i3artow i3aller

3. Qan

Qan Member

Would be great if Amen can play defense like his brother. Lol

But most of all, he needs to stay healthy.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Looks like Jalen Williams and Shaedon Sharpe are on their way to being the 3rd and 4th best players from the 2022 draft but I still have no problem with the Jabari pick. Dude is 20 and once he puts on more muscle it'll be a different conversation

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think this would not be the end.....freak athletes such as the twins and Wemby.....there is going to be more of them.

bluffkin and eliefor3 like this.
  6. MystikArkitect

Shaedon is worse than Jabari.

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

Clutchfans turning Amen into Bryce Young.

eliefor3 likes this.
  8. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

When Amen returns, I think it'll be best to let Holiday continue being the back up point guard

Amen should slot in at the 2,3 & 4 along with Tari and Tate.

He needs time before becoming a main playmaker. With Sengun, FVV and Green coming along. We can take our time

eliefor3 likes this.
  9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Maybe, we will find out in a couple years. I still think the rockets take Jabari at 3 in a redraft. 6'10 3 point shooters that have defensive potential don't come around often

10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I may have missed this but so far he has had one injury right?

11. MystikArkitect

People overrate these high usage 6-6 tweeners like Sharpe, Cam Thomas, Jalen Williams, Tari Eason, etc etc. Theyre cute and everything but they always go in that 10-20 range for a reason. OKC as an example loves Jalen Williams but he doesn't go over Keegan Murray or Jabari Smith in a redraft. You can't teach height and the ability to defend 1-4. Jalen might end up a better player but that's more of an indictment on Bari and Murray than it is anything else. You can find a Jalen Williams and Shaedon Sharpe in literally any draft with any pick in the teens.

Cam Whitmore is *way* better than Shaedon Sharpe and we got him at 20.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Amen's had two ankle sprains so far, one in the summer league and one in the regular season. Thankfully neither one was major.

13. i3artow i3aller

14. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I think those are 4 very different players. Sharpe is a 6'6" athletic swingman who has lots of offensive upside but has a long ways to go. Cam Thomas is a 6'4" microwave G. Eason is a 6'8" energy/defensive Forward.

Williams however, is a 6'6" advanced ball-handler who's been incredibly efficient. He's putting up 18/4/4 on 52/37/88 on an 11-5 OKC team, in his 2nd year (put up crazy efficient numbers as a rook too). He has the pace/poise of a future all-star, and with SGA and Chet already there, that's a crazy trio (not to mention all their other pieces) to build around.

I'd have to think hard about Jalen Williams vs Bari, but I'd take Williams over Keegan Murray 100 times out of 100.

OremLK and heypartner like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

16. TimDuncanDonaut

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Think hard about...how you'd celebrate getting a way better player in Williams?

It's not really close between Jalen Williams and Jabari Smith - Jalen Williams is just better at almost every skill set there is.

He should have been ROY last year, probably, and has an all star caliber season this year.

Smith is taller but his lack of ability to really jump much/play above the rim limits him. I mean, him getting absolutely roofed by Jaylen Brown tonight on that one dunk illistrates why that matters.

Doesn't mean Smith is bad or trash or worthless - quite the opposite. I just think he seems to top out at good role player since he doesn't seem to have elite athletic abilities or offense creation - I know others disagree

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Their driveway games must have lasted for days until the first one scored 11.

DD

Sen89 and SamFisher like this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I know it seems like he's pulling teeth to score right now but give him time. Next yr is going to be different. Year 3, he's going to be awesome

Hes a hard worker, gym rat and I love his defense.

groovemachine likes this.
  20. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Player evaluation is so much easier if your only perspective is shooting percentage. It’s wrong, of course, but easier.

Amen will slowly develop his shooting and tighten his dribble while getting even better at creating and defense. His attitude and natural feel is amazing - it’s a matter of drills for skills.

I know people love to look at Ben Simmons’ fall, but that was all based on mental weakness. Amen is not that. Rondo is a much better comp.

groovemachine likes this.