1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the second half of the Lakers-Nuggets Game 5 -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Video Games] What are you playing? (Omikron Edition)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 18, 2022.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Full disclosure, I'm playing all these games on easy and practically speedrunning them. I do like each combat system generally speaking (currently XC3 > XC2 > XC1 for me as I do like class systems), though I obviously didn't get close to mastering them. Honestly they all kinda felt like spamming arts and getting to chain attacks haha. I actually much prefer more turn-based systems, but for these kind of real-time systems, I like how these games function (generally speaking). Biggest gameplay issue with XC2 for me was definitely the grinding. I liked the blade system in theory, but because of that design flaw, it ended up being poorly executed IMO (and with how I played it, it was unimportant to bother with anything except the main story blades).

I actually didn't have a problem with how XC2 started. In hindsight, it was pretty slow and dialogue heavy, though that's not usually something I mind. The stuff that didn't fully connect with me was more about certain important characters not really connecting with me like they probably should have (Pyra/Mythra, Malos, etc), though I did enjoy some of the other characters (including Rex). Might just be personal preference stuff than anything the game did wrong per se (though Pyra's/Mythra's visual design is definitely...of that earlier JRPG/anime era :/), but I think that is what prevented me from fully enjoying it (alongside the grinding issue mentioned previously). Oh and I generally agree about XC1's characters being kinda meh (especially relative to XC2), and I too felt a bit disappointed at the end. I do generally like the main characters in XC3 and the story as well, but can't really say for sure without getting closer to the end.

I think I agree that XC2 might have the best soundtrack of the 3, though I still have a lot of the 3rd to finish (and honestly I didn't have the music playing very loud in large chunks of gameplay for these games, so might be underrating some parts of XC1 and XC2). I know he didn't directly work on most of the music IIRC, but Mitsuda is one of my favorites (plus Yoko Shimomura, who did a bit for the first game I believe). Definitely good stuff and partly why I feel some nostalgia playing these games.

Hah, same here, although I mostly played it a few years ago (had to drop the 2nd game at some point due to life getting busy). I need to pick up that series again.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  2. elrond

elrond Member

Most of my recent gaming time has been on Baldur's Gate 3.

Need to finish Zelda TOTK, have 3 of the sage powers I think.

Picked up Xenosaga Chronicles 3, but haven't played 1/2. I assume it should be fine to just jump in at 3? Or should I consider going back to 1 or 2 first? I have less patience nowadays for endless grinding, so if it's one of those old rpgs where you get random encounters every 5 ft, I'll probably go crazy.

Also got Luigi's Mansion 3 to play with my daughter, but she's been focused on Genshin Impact recently.

Phone wise all my time has been focused on MH Now, which aside from the grind has done a surprisingly good job of integrating monster hunter into a pokemon go style game. Happy to share my friend code if anyone wants to try it out (we both get free items if entered during registration). Probably not a good game for rural players though.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

Baldur's Gate 3, still great a few months later.

4. RC Cola

I'm ~30ish hours into it, and so far, I haven't seen any reason why you would need to have played the other games (and the 2nd game definitely didn't require playing the 1st game). I believe the 3rd concludes the trilogy, and between it and the DLC, *maybe* there are some references to the other games I haven't gotten to yet. But my guess is you can just play it without worrying about the others.

None of the games have random encounters. It is a real-time-ish combat system with enemies on the map (if you get close to them, they'll likely attack depending on their temperament). You can usually just run by all of these enemies and get to the next checkpoint if that's what you want to do. Though the first 2 games have enemies that are a little too aggressive (and can too easily prevent you from running away). The 3rd game seems to have this done the best (at least for people like you and me). Again, I played on Easy, so maybe the behavior is slightly different on other difficulty levels.

elrond likes this.
  5. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Bought it a while ago but finally have downtime to get into it. It's a masterpiece and dialogue-based RPG with little combat and very character and story-based (Like a character-based RPG novel rather than an action RPG). But it's pretty funny and interesting when you appreciate how well-written it is.

This is the review of the original, with the Final Cut review improving on just about everything the narrator brings up for new voice acting. Very original and some consider it an all-time great.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Steam's Autumn sale is going on and there are quite a few discounted games if anybody hasn't looked already. I doubt I'll be buying anything unless BG3 goes on sale or something, since I still have a backlog of games. I'm still playing Starfield and probably don't have time for much else at the moment. Following their Autumn Sale, will be the (duh) Winter Sale starting Dec. 21st, so I'm sure some more good stuff will be on sale then.

7. elrond

elrond Member

Ended up grabbing some shmups from Cave (Mushihimesama, DoDonPachi, Deathsmiles) since they are around $5 a game. I'd say shmups were always my 1st love since I was firmly on the Galaga side of Galaga vs. Pacman when deciding where to spend my quarter. Always loved playing Raiden/Raiden2/Raiden Fighters back in the arcade heyday as well.

This is probably my 1st experience with a real bullet hell shooter, and am finding the auto bomb mechanic to be surprisingly forgiving as my most common mode of death usually involves thinking I can get through a pattern without using a bomb and being wrong.

Also got my eye on Gunvein when that goes on sale. The demo is pretty neat in that it teaches you some bullet hell fundamentals.

8. RC Cola

Not sure anyone really cares, but I did finish up the main XC3 game yesterday, and I ended up being a bit disappointed. I do think the things @Duncan McDonuts called out became more true for me over time (e.g., flaws with the battle system). I still liked it quite a bit, and I guess my overall rankings remain about the same, but honestly all 3 games feel about the same to me. Overall good games, but they generally feel a notch or 2 below my "truly great RPG" rating (maybe I'm just too nostalgic though?). I still give the devs high praise, and hopefully they can nail a game that I end up loving from beginning to end.

Maybe it could even be the XC3 DLC. I just started that.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am playing the Proving Grounds in the Unioverse. It is a F2P set of tools that allow people to create their own games and use the assets that Random Games makes to create them free of charge.

Think Roblox for AAA games.

https://www.unioverse.com/

DD

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Still playing Starfield. I will probably do that until Baldur's Gate 3 comes out on Xbox

#470 FranchiseBlade, Nov 28, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    Andre0087 likes this.
  11. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

picked up SF 6 on sale....was hoping it'd be more beginner friendly...lol not the case. games hard

12. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I've been trying to play it for the past couple months and just can't find the time. I'm kicking the family out next week so I can have 5 straight days of just playing video games. Actually they're going to see their relatives but I liked the way I phrased it better.

14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Ohhhhhhhhh....yeeeeeaaaaa. No release date yet? My OLED and PS5 are waiting...

Edit: 2025...wow that's not exactly soon.

15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I remember GTA V when it leaked a week early, had to flash iXtreme on the Xbox 360 disk drive's firmware and still couldn't believe it. I made so much money that week I bought a muscle car straight cash /end of reminiscing.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. I am often in the same boat. Sometimes I'll just announce a week or so in advance that I've been working super hard and will need to commandeer the family room TV and be unavailable for an upcoming 3 day weekend to unwind and play video games. It's met with several discontented sighs but they usually give in and are wise enough to not give me too much grief. Other times, I have to nap during the day and stay up late on weekends to play.

Andre0087 likes this.
  17. PhiSlammaJamma

GTA VI looked great, but we've been to Miami before.

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We have, but that was 21 years ago (how?). This is Vice City, but totally reimagined for the current day. I'm looking forward to it.

I always wish that they could've added San Fierro to GTA 5, but I understand the limitations of the hardware.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  19. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

PS5 games
    COD: MW3
    COD: Warzone
    Wreckfest
    No Man's Sky
    almost any Lego's game (they're silly, mindless fun)

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dude - you're still around? :D