1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Price of tea in China is very relevant because one of these young guys will probably end up playing in China. I care about how much tea they can afford to drink there.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hollinger looks like a freaking genius to me. I think his advanced stats had Alpi at no. 1 and then he got scared of his own stats and put him at 4 lol.

4. Alperen Sengun, PF/C, Besiktas

As I noted a few months ago, Sengun is the pearl of a strong international class, and is still flying somewhat under the radar despite winning the MVP of the Turkish League. That league is probably the second-best in Europe right now after Spain’s, and the history says that when a teenager — Sengun turns 19 on July 25 — crushes a good overseas league like that, the fail rate is basically nil.

There are legitimate concerns about Sengun defensively, that he might be the type of guy who gets run off the floor in a playoff series. Overall, I would profile him as similar to Kevin Love — more of a “4.5” than a true five and somebody whose offense will need to make up for non-elite rim protection and mobility. Nonetheless, his offensive skill set is crazy good for a player his age. He has ball skills, passing ability, a good shooting stroke that projects to 3-point range and a dizzying array of spins, pivots and finishes on the low block.

I’ll be surprised if he isn’t able to rack up double-doubles relatively early in his career; it’s the defensive question in the modern game that keeps him out of my top three, and even then I still wonder if I have him too low. A lot of not-very-athletic bigs with average tools but advanced feel have ended up being far better defenders than initially projected — Marc Gasol obviously comes to mind for me — and Sengun could be another example. I wouldn’t just write him off at this end of the floor.

https://theathletic.com/2700529/202...-1-and-why-alperen-sengun-deserves-more-hype/

cmoak1982, Y2JT and Easy like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The only one who is an even bigger genius than Hollinger is @Medicine N Music - nailed it two years in a row!

slothy420, KingSamJack and mikol13 like this.
  4. csc177

csc177 Member

Hollinger had Green ranked like 4th or 5th too. Saying everything we’re saying now.

kid couldn’t dominate g league as a top lottery prospect which should have told us all we needed to know.

NewAge likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Does this count....?

[​IMG]

Easy likes this.
  6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He obviously looks very uncomfortable in Ime's offense right now, he hasn't looked this uncomfortable on the floor since early in his rookie season IMO. It's on him to learn how to pick his spots better and get smarter, we'll see if he can but it's definitely an adjustment for him.

Starting to lower his "ceiling" as far as expectations go but I wouldn't just dump him yet at this point since he's still 21. But I'd be less hesitant to include him in a package for a real difference maker if he doesn't improve throughout the season.

Easy and Mathloom like this.
  7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

For reference both Booker and Giannis were drafted in the teens. Their other high picks didn't work out either.

That's the one thing about the draft, it doesn't matter where you pick, you just have to hit a good player. We hit it with Sengun

NewAge and Easy like this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think one of Green's biggest problems might be that @Mathloom isn't creating new threads for each "chapter" of his career

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Haha I wish it was the case that my threads change the future, but the truth is I'm predicting the future with these threads. Importantly, I'm not predicting a short stretch, it's actually more about when there's a significant long term change. I don't want to celebrate one good game in the way that his haters celebrate one bad game at a time.

In that sense, I think Green will take 20ish more games to work on his understanding of winning basketball before going on a redemption tour.

Frankly we're so close to the bare bottom with Green even I'm sweating it a little bit. Like when we watch a movie and we know the hero is going to win out but you still get anxious when the "universe" is kicking him lower and lower.

Our faith and Udoka's discipline will pay off though. This team needs Jalen to realize his potential and Jalen needs this team to take the next step. It's been a hell of a ride but we're almost done with the most difficult parts of this journey.

Stephen_A, napalm06 and ilias like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You would be surprised at how monotonous those Chapter Names would get over time.

napalm06 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. prs325

prs325 Member

Imagine if we had Mobley and Sengun as frontcourt duo instead

DaDakota likes this.
  12. NewAge

NewAge Member

yeah, no sht... Trash player looked comfortable on a trash team. The big issue always has been: can he contribute to a serious NBA team.

Contrary to what everyone else says, I am actually encouraged. I never bought his first two years, so the fact that he's not a complete zero on a team that wants to win is actually a positive surprise to me.

fattz likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Trash players would actually look worse in a bad system. Worse spacing. Worse of play etc.

He's having his worse efficiency of his career. That's a result of him not used to playing this much off ball.

He often will delegate himself to being a corner player standing around and do it for 5 possessions straight and then have the ball all of a sudden. He's not used to that. He's used to a steady dose of feeling the ball in his hand.

I don't know if you played pick up games or Ant organized ball but often you have a beete feel and rhythm the more the ball is in your hands.

14. NewAge

NewAge Member

precisely, yes. It was a system designed to give him and KPJ maximum comfort and rhythm, not a system designed to win games. That's why I never bought his numbers. On a winning team he has to expend energy and concentration in other areas, and has to make a play when the team needs it, not when he feels like. That's the difference between professional basketball and pick-up basketball.

GotGame15, fattz and daywalker02 like this.
  15. Ratman

Ratman Member

Hear me out….
    Jordan Poole and steal a bunch of the Wizards picks…

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This makes no sense. He was having efficiency issues having the ball more and he's having efficiency issues playing off ball in a structured system. Something tells me he is just not a efficient scorer.

By your logic Jalen should be feasting on isos because spacing is better this year and he's clearly not scoring better even when he is allowed to iso.

It's not like Ime is against iso ball, he allowed Tatum and Brown to iso a ton because they can score efficiently from that position. Hell even Sengun is getting a ton of post ups. Jalens not getting the ball more because he's simply not converting.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Jordan Poole is awful. I still prefer Jalen.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Poole actually did well in a structured system.... ...the role of Curry substitute.

His 1 good season earned him a ring....lol......maximum.

Ratman and GotGame15 like this.
  19. Tempington

Tempington Member

Ime would strangle him during the first timeout as a Rocket.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hahah I can see it, I just added, Poole had 1 good season and won a ring.....that is efficiency.

He will never have a good season again and he would have something to brag about.

Tempington likes this.