1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. raining threes

One of Luhnows greatest strengths was knowing who to trade and who to keep.

VickMackey and vince like this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If Graveman and Montero play up their potential, we are pretty much set for next season with some health. Especially knowing that Crane doesn't mind making some big trades for what we need at the deadline when he thinks we are close. Verlander, Graveman, Verlander again, Graveman again, Greinke, Cole, etc.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Robert is obviously the safest bet with only health being a concern and has 4 years of club control. Brown and Meyers combined might end up better combined (Brown possibly by himself), but slotting Robert in everyday in the postseason and not having to worry about pitching matchups would be worth losing some possible upside in my opinion.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Right. If you could count on Graveman, Montero, McCullers, and Garcia to be fully healthy and effective in the 2nd half, then you can count on the farm to provide whatever else you want from the pitching staff, because you’d have 12 healthy effective high quality big league arms. Having to find a guy like Sousa, Gage, Dubin, Martinez, Whitley, Blanco, Kuhnel, Ortega, Mushinski, Bielak, etc to be the 13th pitcher is all good and in fact preferable because it keeps a spot to work in a young player who could end up being a core piece down the line.

prospecthugger and BlindHog like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure. He had so much value on the farm that even losing some guys in trades that produced for others still left the farm producing talent 3 years after he left. The Verlander trade was a big win for Luhnow, but a lot of his other trades were just trading unconcentrated value for concentrated value.

Wulaw Horn and Screaming Fist like this.
  6. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

7. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Braves are preparing to use Reynaldo Lopez as a starter, so they may be off the market now. But had/have interest in Sonny Gray.

Cardinals also signed Lance Lynn too a 1yr deal.

raining threes and Htown Legend like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was the Greinke trade then unconcentrated value for existential value?

At the time of the Cole trade, at the time I thought they gave up a lot in Musgrove for somebody who was inconsistent/underperforming... but nobody thought Cole would turn into what he turned into, so it was justifiable. It was a "win" of a trade because the Pirates never actually did anything with the unconcentrated value that ended up concentrated for other teams.

I still think one of his "better", unheralded, trades were selling high on Jared Cosart... which helped eventually facilitate the Cole deal and they got far more value out of Marisnick than anything Cosart ended up doing.

Kike still cashing checks though...

snowconeman22 and raining threes like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Astros have spoken about a number of players with the White Sox - mostly in groups but some individually.

Kopech is one of the players most talked about with the Astros.

10. Nook

Nook Member

He is going to be a starter.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I see he’s from Longview. What’s the story on him behind the stats? Looks like a really not good 2023 campaign for him.

13. MadMax

OMG WE’RE GETTING HIM AREN’T WE!!!!????!!!!!

14. Nook

Nook Member

Classic situation where you have a kid with a fastball over 100 mph that has health issues and off the field issues.

They have tried to make him a starter but he is at the point where he will likely be moved to the pen to play up his fastball.

raining threes and MadMax like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

It is the same thing I said when the season ended........ Crane will go over the tax for the right player/players.

They are trying hard to get one of the right players....... and we will have to wait and see if they pull it off.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

17. MadMax

I was kidding, but I appreciate the reply!!!

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The Astros have not had a lot of players from Asian countries. It seems like an untapped market.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Astros could use Shohei Ohtani"s MLB experience to show that there are massive advantages to signing with a team like the Astros over teams that won't be competitive.

20. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Robert is my super-lust. I never got over us not getting him the first time.

Nothing would excite me more. Cease and/or Kopech would be gravy.

And Yordan did post that pic of the two of them a few weeks ago…

Please, Jim, please!!

IBTL, raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.