1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Because the NBA would not wait on players....fans do but you have to because we have a plethora of wings that need playing time.

Amen and Cam for example all need playing time. And Amen is more of a wing than a real PG.

That is the earliest we should think about such things.

We cannot keep them all......if they become good of course.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

As an NBA player I think Green has taken huge steps this season, as a guy you want to build a team around he most certainly has not. I have not seen any real improvement in his scoring ability since the mid point of his rookie season.

He's basically Eric Gordon, who has had a long and fruitful career, but was never more than a supporting scorer. He can go off and get you 30 and then largely be MIA for a whole week.

Between now and the deadline we will see if he improves, right now I think he's trade bait in a package for a proven scorer which is what this team really needs opposite Sengun.

3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

This is exactly my problem with him. The finishing ability is just so inconsistent. If you put Devin Booker's torso on Jalen's legs you'd have a 40 ppg scorer.

4. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

his rebounding is getting better and he is willing to try and get blocks. Three-point shooting is improving. Give it 2 months and he will be in a consistent groove

5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Green is a scorer, but to score you have to get the ball. The coach wants the scoring spread around, not just one player putting up 20 shots a night.

Ancient Moabite and daywalker02 like this.
  6. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

But why are we arguing right now about his shooting and ignoring the fact that he’s clearly maturing as a player? He’s Trying to do the little things to help the team win, doesn’t seem bothered at all at his slightly diminished (to this point) role in the offense. He’s apart of one of the most productive lineups in the league right now.

And again, it’s not only on Jalen to get his offense up to where we’re gonna need it to take the next step. It’s on Ime, FVV, even Sengun. There needs to be a collective effort to get the best out of our guys in their roles.

The Jalen Green discourse has been weird since he was drafted! This conversation is honestly silly. He’s gonna average 20-22 points this year, and he’s gonna bust out of this slump sooner rather than later and no one is going to have any reason to question if we should bring him back. Having this discussion 11 games into the season is bananas.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree but you cannot just wait for spring and when the schedule clears up and you play mediocre teams.....

If you cannot make your mark against the best teams in the West, it is a wasted opportunity.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am just explaining what the people that are frustrated with him are thinking......

Of course the Greenie fans are more patient, it is their player......or your player.

But isn't that what you want to hear about.....other opinions that are not in sync with yours or your like minded ones?

I already said Udoka has a decision to make because he has way expedited things and expectations......I mean it is not his fault but he brought way too much success in short time....but yeah the young players have to keep up.

That is the direct result of playing 28 year olds with 21 year olds who have a 7-8 year gap of experience.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That's BS, in Boston Tatum and Brown had 20 shots on the regular.

Udoka like any coach just wants good shots, if Green were a top scorer that would be happening, but it isn't. The offense by committee is what we're being forced to do because we don't have any top offensive options after Sengun and also why our offense is clearly lagging behind our defense.

anthony59237 likes this.
  10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

No lol, I don’t want to hear opinions that are unrealistic and full of confirmation bias towards a player you’ve already made your mind up about.

I understand you’re pointing out concerns of the fans that just don’t like Green. I’m simply pointing out how stupid those concerns are.

i3artow i3aller and cbass like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Like what exactly.......that is blasphemous accusation lol.

You people do the same to other posters......the same thing posters do to players.....accusation over accusation....it is the same to me.

In the end it is the same, if you whine about posters criticizing players or you yourself criticizing posters about criticizing players.

It is all just a mind fork.....I agree we have no choice but to wait for them to develop.

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

The “what exactly” is the fact that we’re having this discussion 11 games into the season. When like 4 games ago he had 28 points on 15 shots. When all 11 games he’s shown a willingness to play team ball and proven he’s a more mature player than he was last year and the year before.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is what a day to day forum is for.....

I am not sure what bothers you other than people here are evaluating a player on a game to game basis which has been going on for 30 years I guess.

I think you are probably just mad at how the format is than people that are really mad at a loss.

If you have noticed, Green has had those clunkers on the Road.... anyone can play well at home.

Because on the road you cannot practice ...... but the road games are the games that needed a superstar to step up, their insane talent level to shine.

14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I’m just bothered by the way fans (not just our fans, all NBA fans) are so quick to label Jalen Green a certain type of player. I’m not some JG stan either. I think his game has flaws but also tons of potential. But the way this kid is talked about is completely unfair. And again idk if you’ve done this, but all I heard the last two years is he’s an empty stats guy. Well now he’s doing the little things well, but the stats aren’t as great (the last two games) and we’re still overly critical of him. That bothers me!

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you seek people commenting on the development and growth of Green then all you have to do is wait 1 day or 2 after a loss.

That will take place, just a friendly reminder, it is the same after a loss.

Some of that empty stats thing .....it is because the Rockets are not a well run organization in my opinion, not for the last 3 or more years....Fertitta and Stone are infants at building winning teams, and they are gradually figuring it out with the help of Udoka.

Green would look much better on contending teams or any team that has a superstar that can make plays and is better than Fred Van Vleet.

Some is on Green, but a lot is on the previous coach and the current GM.

But here we are, at least the Rockets are winning.

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Fwiw, I wasn’t seeking anything. I just posted my thoughts on Jalen and how he’s played so far this year. You replied to me and are gradually taking the conversation to crazier and crazier places lol.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is not crazy if you don't think it is crazy ....mostly it is a level headed head space I am in and I am not worried at all.

I just find it weird that people have to be mad at everything, you just happen to be still awake....I am in a different time zone.

The truth is people cannot root for every player.....you just do not have the emotional connection or availability for everyone....I chose Alpe and Tari and I fared well so far but they could also just stagnate in progress.

I am well prepared for losing them too if the Rockets chose to trade them for inexplicable reasons.

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I’m not mad, I’m annoyed at immature and shitty analysis from the fan base im apart of.

i3artow i3aller and daywalker02 like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The NBA is a circus and entertainment where the tallest people on the earth play a silly game that we happen to love....

It could be that simple and we should not be annoyed by it.....players come and go.....

Those fans likely stay longer. Give it some time, maybe Green will turn to be a superstar.

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

You play everyone during the season. The season is a marathon, not a sprint. New coach, new system, they are still working out kinks. Some fans want the team to be great and the players great every game, but that just doesn't happen.

i3artow i3aller likes this.