1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Downplaying the turkish league.
    Sengun was seasoned enough playing with real professionals and actual coach. Sengun was already more polished and well coached when he enter the league compared to his draft class making it easier for him to overcome the incompetence of silas and kpj as the head honcho. Green and smith? Not so much. Hence y u see improvements from the Two when playing under ime and will take a bit longer for them to grow as better players.

Whether u have the patience or not is another story

anthony59237 likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A part of our problem is we draft and then select a coach or the best player available is in no way an addition to an existing system but just randomly selected.

Just randomly assembled and then you have no other choice than to sign players like FVV and Brooks to take pressure off those raw players.

If you really thought this through, you would just select the players that you have in mind.......like Mobley to start your adventure......

Because that is the Rock you could count on and you do not have to morph Jalen Green into a defensive player for that.

MadMax likes this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You will get NO ARGUMENT FROM ME AT ALL that academies overseas do a better job teaching skills to their players than we do in the States. I think that absolutely contributed to Sengun being who he is so young. His court presence is fantastic for a kid his age.

The problems with patience is it’s not about whether you or I have it…it’s whether the guys charged with making the decisions are willing to make gambles on extensions that are dictated by the number of years since they were drafted. You and I can talk about patience and what he might become…but there are salary cap restrictions that inhibit patience a bit when forced to make decisions that would otherwise restrict you from other options.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

….to take pressure off and to WIN!!! QUICKLY!!! Because you need to sell tickets..and suites..and drinks at the bars in the club level…because its a business, and the product hasn’t been compelling enough to draw demand for a while now. FVV and Brooks were a lot about addressing “holy ****, we can’t keep losing at an historically awful pace for another year.”

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yep, it is wasted effort, imagine if we did not get Sengün......

FVV and Brooks would be 32 by the time Jabari and Jalen Green can win a few games ......and you have to trade for a real star this time.

It would have been best to let Jalen come off the bench as a bench scorer.....that way he is not overhyped and he can gradually grow into a starter.

But they failed to give him this learning experience from the start and instead let him bond with KPJ and Jaygup for AAU basketball.

KPJ and Jaygup are now almost out of the league....or out of the league.

Jalen has to be re-programmed from what he has known for years and in High School.

#605 daywalker02, Nov 20, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  6. invocux

invocux Member

Does't score or assist constantly turns the ball over but i'm not worried man good players help their teams in different ways when nothing is working. He can massage Fred's and Sengun's legs on the bench.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Jalens time is running out. He needs to show something. Right now he's barely showing anything. It's mostly bad

8. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

He’s far and away the weakest link on the starting group. He’s a streaky athletic scorer and that’s it.

NewAge likes this.
  9. NewAge

NewAge Member

This game he was, yes. Some games it's jabari,

Tiers starting to look like:
    Big Three: Sengun, Dillon, Fred
    Secondary Players: Green, Jabari, Tate, Eason, Holiday
    Bit Players: Jeff, Londale

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not think it is necessary to have tiers because this has been only Year 1 under Udoka......

FVV is 29 and I guess by the time Sengün is 25 he is 33.

Dillon can stay a tad longer if he controls himself.

Landale and Uncle Jeff are 1 Year rentals......to me. Boban is Boban.

One of Amen or Cam develops before expectation.... that is gravy.

#610 daywalker02, Nov 20, 2023
    DeBeards likes this.
  11. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Unfortunately I agree. He can get separation but can’t hit the shot. He can get in the lane but can’t finish. We need him to be much more consistent in year 3.

lakersuck2 likes this.
  12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

You don’t think what’s an overreaction??

there’s a chance I agree… If you’re saying Jalen needs to be better, yeah that’s not an overreaction. I just think he will be.

If we’re using the first couple of weeks in a new system, learning to play in an offense that is going through Sengun, I’d say we need to chill out.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the gripe is guys like Maxey have become way more consistent and better playmakers......

Maxey is also playing under a new coach - Nick Nurse this year.

I think these 2 years we will find out if he can become the Superstar or if he is just a regular Scorer....which is fine by me too...it just changes his salary numbers.

(Fans should not be too worried, we cannot be held accountable for the draft picks of 1 GM)

He has to physically dominate other players for that to happen, or mentally crush opponents.

#613 daywalker02, Nov 20, 2023
  14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Not every player is on the same linear development path tho. Maxey has played with and off MVPs. And say what you want about Doc but I’m sure he ran a tighter ship than Silas.

Jalen can go get 25-30 a night on a losing team, he’s proven that. Now he’s trying to find his way a bit in a more structured offense that isn’t going through him as much as it used to. Like, can we give him more than two weeks!? lol

Not saying you’re in this group, but it’s a lose-lose situation the way some people are viewing his game! Do we want him to just go score? Or do we want him to be a winning basketball player? I’ve been encouraged by his improvements in other parts of the game. And I think it falls on everyone to get him going offensively, it’s not just on Jalen.

BigMaloe, Ancient Moabite and cbass like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is how NBA contracts are structured IMHO......they do not wait for late bloomers....late bloomers get their pay check way later.

This is how NBA life is.....you either swim or sink....in Green's case he is just struggling in the water.

I rather pay him than Dillon Brooks but I have to admit Brooks has been better and more efficient.

I get what you are saying but we as Rockets have to abide by the market......we just cannot keep players just because we are Jalen Green fans.

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Holy **** lol

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

haha I am surprised as well.

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Not sure we’re surprised at the same thing lol.

The kid is a proven scorer! He’s had a couple of bad games and we’re talking about if he can make it in the league… lol

That’s incompetence!

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Where did I say he does not belong in this league.

I said the difference between 50-60 million and 28 million a year are different numbers.

He has proven he is a scorer, he has not proven yet that he is a consistent shooter or consistent playmaker.

You are trying to put words in my mouth.........lol you are better than this.

Sink or Swim as a superstar of course. The thread title - Franchise player?

But you are right he is playing below value......like a role player.

#619 daywalker02, Nov 20, 2023
  20. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Fair enough, I was mistaken on your comment about the contract.

But still, why are we talking about his contract right now!? There’s just such a rush to judgment on him more so than any young player in the league and I don’t get it.