1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] What are you playing? (Omikron Edition)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Just wake up from a 25-year coma?

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

AT&T is too darn big and needs to be broken up!

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I was holding out for Switch 2 (and/or figuring out Switch emulation), but a family friend gave my daughter a Switch...which I stole from her to play. Have a backlog of Switch games I need to get through. Started with Xenoblade Chronicles (remastered Switch version), and I also got Super Mario Bros Wonder. Only played a bit, but based on that and what I've seen online, probably going to be my favorite Mario game since Super Mario World. The 3D Mario games never really clicked for me (see my trolling of Mario Galaxy long ago on CF).

Oh and I guess I am trying to let my daughter get some game time with the old-school SNES/NES games.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  4. Aware

Aware Member

rockstar got me again. sad.
    pulled the trigger on read dead 1 after the 60 fps upgrade.

feel like a fool but i am a sucked for nostalgia

cwebbster and RC Cola like this.
  5. RC Cola

RDR is one of those huge game franchises I didn't really get into, though I did try a bit of RDR2 a little while ago. Enjoyed the bit I played, and I need to find time to return to it at some point.

Even if I didn't enjoy that, I think this would convince me to give it more time:

Deckard, Blatz, Uprising and 3 others like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL that must have been the Cougars territory and the game wanted you to kill it, but the player was having fun letting it attack.

DD

7. Xerobull

8. Xerobull

9. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

got a new PC rig...what games do i need to be checking out?

d-loaded cyberpunk

RDR2 is bound to be on sale right? steam usually discounts that quite frequently no?

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Steam sales are throughout the year, but the best general one is usually their Summer or Winter Sale, the latter of which will start on Dec. 21 this year. But you can good deals on games throughout the year. I'm an expert - I get them all the time. I still have games I haven't played that I bought 2 or 3 years ago. :(

Uprising likes this.
  11. Salvy

Salvy Member

Mafia

12. Xerobull

Uprising likes this.
  13. RC Cola

Following up on this, I'm now 20%-30% into Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (finished 1&2). Just wanted to say they (1&2 primarily) are heavily flawed (especially by modern standards), but it has been a joy to play these games. Playing the first felt like I was playing a PS2 JRPG (both good and bad, but at least nostalgic haha). The 3rd game so far seems the best, especially in terms of design. Just some awful design choices in the previous games (to the point of actively impacting my overall enjoyment), but this one has seemed closer to the opposite.

I'm definitely looking forward to their future games, though I'm guessing their next big RPG project will probably take quite a while.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Any Cell phone (Ipad) Games?

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I run crysis on max

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

MonolithSoft is an underappreciated developer. They were a big part of BotW and TotK. The Xenoblade Chronicles series is top-notch, too. I might be biased but XC2 has been my favorite. I haven't even finished the last chapter of XC3. The story and characters from XC1 and XC3 haven't been as interesting to me, which is a shame because I haven't been able to tie it all up, which the DLC does well. XC2 has had my favorite combat system.

RC Cola likes this.
  17. RC Cola

Yeah, I've generally liked the the main people behind MonolithSoft since back when they were working with Square (Xenogears days). Xenosaga on PS2 had its flaws, but I'd love to play more of that stuff today. There were so many good JRPGs back then, so it didn't seem to stand out, but I'm craving for more of that now.

When Nintendo bought them, I just ended up ignoring them a bit since I didn't feel like getting a Wii U. Or like I said, I was either waiting for a massively upgraded Switch and/or trying not to be lazy to get PC Switch emulation working. Outside of these games and maybe a handful of others, I wasn't super interested in a lot of the Nintendo games (prior to having kids anyway). In hindsight, definitely seems like a mistake. :)

I'm still early in XC3, but it is connecting with me in probably the same ways XC2 connected with you. I think it is the most polished of the 3 (which itself makes me like it more), but even the more subjective stuff just works more for me than they did in the first 2 games (e.g., combat system). To be clear though, I love each game. The lack of polish/poor design in the first 2 games bugged me, but I still thought very highly of them overall.

My highlight of Xenoblade 2 (I guess spoilers, but more of a joke video)

Anyway, yeah they're a very talented company, both in terms of tech and building RPGs. They'll make a good looking game no matter what hardware Nintendo gives them, which I didn't fully realize before I played these games.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  18. Xerobull

What type of games do you like?

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Neat question, as I have played a lot of RPG Games, Strategy, Live Action Strategy, Round based Strategy, and Building Games, I can happily say I would need something else.

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Lol yeah, that moment was a huge facepalm. XC2 certainly had its faults. It's tutorials and combat system were poorly explained and took a long time to fully unlock. Merc missions and affinity charts were very very grindy. It starts off too slow, needing to get through 3 chapters to start picking up the main story (roughly 10 hours).

XC1 and XC3's stories start off much stronger. XC1 was more basic in combat. It's story had lots of twists and turns and got very existential. Maybe a little bit too much for me, and with weak characters that I didn't care much for, I felt disappointed after completing it.

XC3 has been a good hybrid. For some reason, I just don't like the combat or class system. I haven't min-maxed any characters classes, mostly letting each character max each class, so my party is never optimized other than trying to balance attackers, tanks, and healers. Combat to me is mostly spam fusion arts until ready to chain attack and it feels too repetitive. XC2 had more variety with arts and blades. Sure, in XC3, you can swap characters in combat but it's too complicated in my opinion.

XC2 also has the best soundtrack to me, making the experience more enjoyable. They all have great soundtracks.

I really need to finish XC3 to complete the story. I'm trying to finish another JRPG, the Trails series. It's been a fun traditional JRPG but massive in scope with 10+ games which I'm only on the 2nd.

RC Cola likes this.