1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Israel Goes To War with Hamas 2023

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by astros123, Oct 6, 2023.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He also wasn't going to swap land at a 9:1 ratio like a fool.

2. astros123

astros123 Member

Do you know how the land swaps were going work? You're so naive and clueless about the topic.

Western activists are hilarious

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Posted sources multiple times here. You should try reading them before responding.

4. astros123

astros123 Member

Your sources don't answer. I think you're the one who's illiterate. The "swaps" have to deal with land that Israel wasn't going give up in the west bank. Less than 9% of land. Palestinians would still control 91% of land themselves.

You're clueless

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Only an idiot would trade 9 acres of land for 1 acre of land lol. Get real.

6. astros123

astros123 Member

Again maybe you're too dumb to understand Palestinians were still keeping 91-95% of west bank. You're literally clueless.

Indian activists. Hilarious

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Wow, thanks for showing us you're a racist.

Exiled likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

It’s a failure because they will not succeed in their mission. For all the funding sent over many years, all that will happen is Hamas will lose control over Gaza. They failed to bring anyone else into the fight.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  9. Major

Major Member

Depends on what Hamas' real goal was. If they wanted to stop the Saudi-Israel normalization of relations, they might have succeeded. And the people of every country in the Arab world are rallying behind Palestinians and against Israel, which makes it much harder for the leadership of those countries to continue to normalize with Israel. They haven't succeeded in starting a massive war, but they might have succeeded in stopping Israel's progress towards regional peace.

Nook, rocketsjudoka, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  10. foh

foh Member

Yeah, at the cost of their citizens, they've won the culture war and changed the political structure of the region and within Israel itself (because this has been by far the bloodiest conflict where before Israelis believed their military to be impregnable compared to palestinians)

And the culture war result may even get them an eventual peace and state for all we know on better terms (obviously without hamas being openly in the ruling class anymore).

Nook likes this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I agree wholeheartedly and part of rub: it's extra insulting to tell an agitated young person (or any person) that maybe they should question their favorite social media platform algorithms when analyzing their own fiery opinions. Most of us like to think that *we* are the algorithm creating our opinions without much external influence. "But did you see that video clip?!?"

Anyway, what are "1st A development principles"? I'm lucky (I guess? for now?) that I get a pass when teaching in the sciences.

Ubiquitin, kokozo and Kim like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hamas cannot win militarily and I don’t even think they believe that. Their actions are meant to create chaos and fear. They want to show that their movement is relevant and won’t be sidelined or an afterthought in wider Middle East politics. The only way they can do that is to launch massive terrorist attacks and lure the IDF into a bloody battle.

#3412 rocketsjudoka, Nov 19, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I do a brief US history overview of free speech rights, laws, and cases, from Alien and Sedition Act to modern interpretation and talk about how the principles have changed. I ask them why they think free speech is important, and talk about the market place of ideas, then speech as integral to democracy itself, not needing to be the best speech, and stuff like the heckler's veto. SCOTUS cases of note are: Abrams vs US, Minersville, Tinker, Whitney vs. Cali, Stromberg, Turmenillo, Brandenburt and others.

We discuss what things that you can say or do that currently can get you in trouble and categorize them as trouble with the law (incitement) or civil trouble. I bring up the Johnny Depp Amber Heard trial, the cussing Wisconsin cheerleader, and other modern examples. I then go over state-action doctrine, Section 230 of the CDA, and then modern social media. I talk about legal efforts by states and the US government to sue or regulate social media companies, and ask them what they think about that - whether social media should be treated like the newspapers or malls or common carriers or something else regarding their rights of control.

I also play some cool movie clips that relate to thoughts and control, like the red pill blue pill scene from the Matrix. I have a really cool anecdote explaining the Matrix, which I took from a philosophy professor 25 years ago who was explaining to me Descartes. I'm going to add another clip in wrapping it up about what limits and how we should discuss things with people who we disagree with. Again, I don't have any of the shouting we see on TV over this stuff because I'm at an HBCU, but I do bring up the power of persuasion via the Daryl Davis way and not the stopping speech that we don't like way. Lastly, I'm going to play a clip from My Cousin Vinnie to promote what you should say instead of shouting someone down or tearing down a poster, if you've reached your wits end and cannot have civil discourse. There are posters of this quote too.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks for explaining. Sounds like you have some lucky students, and I wish I could take that class.

By the way, I am afraid to google "Wisconsin cheerleader." :eek:

Ubiquitin and Kim like this.
  15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

All results will be positive.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Sounds like a cool class.

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

https://archive.is/u5nBq

Does this explain some of the obsessive posting from the Pro Israel destruction of Gaza posters.
    Detailed story of how Israel and their allies such as AIPAC keep track of students for Palestine groups on campuses and social media posts-- often against US laws regarding foreign spying in the US

Ubiquitin and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is AWESOME!

Ubiquitin likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I have to admit I did not expect there to be a deal to get hostages released. I was thinking they those hostages were as good as dead. That either Hamas would kill them sooner or later or they would get killed in the fighting
    As Hamas facilities were destroyed.

One of the rare pieces of good news out of this.

FranchiseBlade, Nook and Ubiquitin like this.
  20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It’s good and I’m happy for the families that can be reunited, but we can expect the assault on Gaza to resume with even more ferocity after the hostages are released. The situation for the Gazan people looks pretty hopeless.

It’s interesting how the press is downplaying the other part of this deal, which is the release of close to a thousand Palestinian prisoners. Who are these people and why were they imprisoned? How many more are there? I’m seeing very little details about this.

Edit: I was mistaken on the numbers. Only 50 hostages released, with 150 Palestinian women and children being released from Israeli jails:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna126146

#3420 durvasa, Nov 22, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2023