1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I’m not even sure Brown is a starter long term in the big leagues. I think he is likely a late inning reliever.

Brown has several issues he is working through. Cease obviously has his own issues as well.

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Fans are always biased toward their own.

It's understandable after 2022 that we all had ( have) hopes that Brown would be the next TOR all star but plenty of knowledgeable people from around the country had reservations then he put those at the forefront last year.

He still could be, but it's no sure thing.

McCormick is a very good player, but a classic high effort overachiever. He's at his ceiling and peak of his value. He is the kind of player who wins games, but need to be willing to give up to get higher ceiling players that improve the team as a whole.

Leon has been passed by several players in the organization and likely to never cut his Ks down significantly. He is a prime change of scenery candidate and with White Sox Cuban scouting it makes sense they would want him.

Matthews is a very athletic player but is too early in his career to know what he may be. It's 50/50 that he could end up being a borderline star, or Chris Burke. Certainly not enough to worry about including him in a deal to get all star level player(s) during the win now phase.

Urquidy is Urquidy. Solid innings eaters are important, but he will never be a TOR or even MOR guy and is always 10th or lower in a deep playoff staff.

If Robert OR Cease come back for those guys I consider it depending on who else is included. If both are then I jump at that deal.

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. awc713

awc713 Member

Seems like, barring a big trade/acquisition…2024 is the first year since Correa’s rookie year where we may not have a high/elite impact rookie (or even a spot for them to get a lot of ABs/innings)…

Who is the best bet to carry on the Stros good fortune of having a great rookie campaign?

4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

From strictly a fit perspective, the only position player who seems to have a current fit for opening day, or close to it, is Loperfido. Leon is kind of redundant with Tucker, Meyers, Dubon and Chaz.

If I had to pick one name with the best odds it would be Spencer Arrighetti. He hasn't been able to put it together consistently, but he's already in AAA, has swing and miss stuff and seems to be the type of guy that could put it together and be a weapon for us.

raining threes, cmlmel77 and awc713 like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

An OF staking claim to the CF or LF job is probably the best bet. That means Corona or Loperfido or Leon. Otherwise Arrighetti or Gordon coming up early next year and surprising is the other potential way.

raining threes and awc713 like this.
  7. Screaming Fist

2023 season stats:

Brown: 79 DRA-, 103 FIP-, 4.27 xERA,

Cease: 102 DRA-, 83 FIP-, 4.10 xERA.

Brown got killed by the longball last season, but otherwise was better than Cease. Cease also lost some velo last season as well.

panamamyers likes this.
  8. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Brown got killed by a BABIP northh of .330 and a LOB% of like 70%.
    His XFIP was 13th in The league for guys with 120 ip or more.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  9. Screaming Fist

He did get legitimately hit hard this past season, but imo, that’s less predictive than the stuff he was good at. I think this is why DRA and SIERA like him a lot. I would be a lot more worried about him had he walked a bunch of ppl last year.

10. Buck Turgidson

The one where he's started 71 games in 6 years with Tampa

BMoney likes this.
  11. awc713

awc713 Member

12. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

I truly hope they drain their entire farm, sign all these players, win 100 plus and get smoked in the first round of the play offs lol. Please baseball gods.

everyday eddie and BMoney like this.
  13. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Glasnow has been sort of like McCullers here. Meadows finished top 20 in MVP voting twice in Tampa. Baz is still a top prospect.
    Archer did nothing productive in Pittsburgh.

The Beard likes this.
  14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Cease is fool’s gold. Lots of flash, not enough command.

15. raining threes

Same things were said about Cole before he was traded to the Stros.

everyday eddie and desihooper like this.
  16. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

this seems significant

prospecthugger and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  17. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From what I gathered, this is a big deal. I have to assume Dana Brown has someone planned for the role.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Stearns knows all these guys who are still here when he was here. Obviously they don't have any ties to any current front office or GM member. Makes sense to make a move now if they're being recruited by former colleagues... especially if its for a promotion.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Considering this was the role Dana Brown made his biggest impact as prior to becoming a GM... hopefully he knows what to look for.

20. Nook

Nook Member

It is significant. When I found out I was not happy about it. However, part of the reason Gross left was because Brown was extremely involved and hands on.