1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Backup bigman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MultipleSauces, Nov 16, 2023.

?

Best option for backup bigman?

1. Landale and boban

12 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Capela

63 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. Daniel gafford

10 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. Javale mcgee

12 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Garuba

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Someone else

27 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. MultipleSauces

Envisioning Clint capela running pick and roll with amen while our other guys spread the floor and sengun is getting rest is what I believe the rockets need to be successful. Increasing the lead vs other teams benches and utilizing our deep squad is imperative to success. We are lacking in rim protection and a vertical threat as a contrast to the heliocentric style sengun offers .
    The purpose to this thread is to identify which is our best option. Stay the course and hope that londale rounds into form? Relying on boban to play significant minutes if londale doesn’t return to form or gets injured again? Allowing Jabari to run more minutes at 5 as a last resort?

I think we should trade for capela . Londale, Tate, oladipo,and second round picks might get it done. Yes, he’s 20m. But his deal is only for another year and a half. Will capela be a detriment to our cap ? Can we afford him? Would you rather have someone else instead and if so, who?

I would love to keep Tate . He’s been balling and increasing his trade value . However we have Eason and their skill sets are redundant and eason needs more minutes. He’s not undersized like tate is..

In conclusion, I believe the rockets will make a trade deadline move to round out our roster for our playoff push . We need to consolidate our talent, with the goal of having the best 9 1/2 man rotation full of two way players and a versatile lineup that includes both a heliocentric sengun and rim protecting capela. We have great guards and wings but our frontcourt is our weakness.

What do you guys think?

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Gafford would be fine, but I wonder if he would be okay with only playing under 20mpg off the bench. He's started a lot of games the last three years for them.

I still think Andre Drummond would be a sensible, inexpensive pickup who fits what the team is trying to do. Another savvy veteran who has been a part of winning teams in the past, like Fred, Dillon, and Uncle Jeff. I'm sure he has some things he could teach Sengun, and he would give us a traditional defensive/rebounding big when we need that kind of look on the floor and also for the young guys to go against in practice.

He's not the shotblocker he once was, but he's still a rim protection threat, and would easily be the best rebounder on our roster.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Must

Start

New

Thread

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I.D.I.O.T.

sirjesse and MultipleSauces like this.
  5. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Capela if the price is right

MultipleSauces likes this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

All aboard the ThatBoyNick Richards hype train

[​IMG]

Get you a big man who's big

7. MultipleSauces

he looks decent in this lil highlight reel,but can we trade for him/his contract? I do prefer finding a diamond in the rough type guy but capela is more of a proven commodity and I think capela would do well in udokas system

8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I really, really don't get the Capela discourse. He is on a two year contract at 20ish mil a year and starts for the Hawks. The Hawks probably wouldn't trade him either if a FRP is not involved. Why would we trade a FRP and pay 20 mil to a guy who will likely be pissed about going from a starting role a 18 minutes a game as a backup? Y'all need to get serious.

9. i3artow i3aller

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

An outstanding post.

11. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Hartenstein only 8 mil a year. Oladipo's salary matches. He won't scoff at being a back up. Fits Ime and our new culture perfectly. We can't trade Tate right now. He's been to valuable. Add a second rounder or two to VO.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s a pretty important rotation piece for the Knicks though

plegus and BaselineFade like this.
  13. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

That's the difficulty. I'm hoping that the Knicks fall off before the trade deadline. They may be more willing. The Rockets would probably have to bring in a third team to pull it off.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. jb86

jb86 Member

Drummond

Left Block Problem 74 likes this.
  15. yao.zhao

yao.zhao Member

16. HROZ

HROZ Member

Olynk(Oladipo) or Capela(Oladipo & Landale (& get Drummond for 2x2nds) )

Jayzers_100 and MultipleSauces like this.
  17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Gotta @Williamson for comments like this.

Williamson and BaselineFade like this.
  18. invocux

invocux Member

Garuba is 6'6 or sth he wouldn't even pass as a big man in Smurfs' village. I'd take Gafford.

19. cdastros

cdastros Member

I want a big that can shoot the three to free up players like Amen, Tate, and Cam to attack the paint.

Hard Rock likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No to trading Tate.

No to Capela.

If I'm bringing in another player, he has to be healthy and multi-dimensional.

Rim runner also has to shoot well and defend at a high level.

Basically Myles Turner type or bust.

Maybe call up Charlotte and see if you can get Thor for cheap.