1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, I really don't understand keeping some of the guys they are choosing to keep.

I get if there were other prospects and you had to make a tough call, but we're choosing to protect 4A journeymen over upside prospects like Daniels and Barber.

juicystream and Bregatron like this.
  2. HTown2017Champs

A bit late (and there's probably some posts about this that I haven't read), but I'd roll the dice on Cal Quantrill. Bad year last year (and dealt with injuries), but he was solid in 2021 and 2022. Top 10 pick out of college and second-generation big leaguer. Perhaps Cleveland thinks there's a bad prognosis, but then again he had a solid finish to the season. I would take the chance if we could. They have 10 days to trade him so maybe they like one of our AAAA guys or someone we can unload for something of value.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Cleveland gets the very best out of their starters...if they couldn't get anything out of Quantrill....I don't know what to tell you.
    Maybe as a middle reliever for close to the minimum. Perhaps his velocity would tick upwards. When you can only strike out 5 per 9 you are going to have problems. Bielak strikes out 7 per 9 for comparison.

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Caminiti and Finley for Operation Shutdown and Doug Brocail?

Hader for Fiers and Carlos Gomez?

The Beard likes this.
  5. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Climbingtalshill.com had a 3 players to buy low and he was 1 of the players listed.

https://climbingtalshill.com/posts/...es-for-the-astros-this-offseason-01hf1nj6t1xm

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

They are bottom 10 for sure

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The question is does the organization not value those players or just think they won't lose them?

Nook likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Every year, its seems when the off-season is done and finished, I come away thinking that we spent too much energy and resources on position players and not enough on pitching.

Is there any reason for me to think this year will be different?

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would assume they just don’t think anyone they exposed will be taken, or if they are they won’t be able to stick on a roster for a full year. Acceptable risk for everyone except Barber but they are almost certainly a better judge than I am so hopefully it all works out. They exposed Yainer Diaz and that didn’t bite them.

10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Released Player - JD Martinez

Rule V Unprotected - Johan Santana, Bobby Abreu

JD Martinez and Josh Hader if they were Astros, No Doubt More Wins in the Postseason.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  11. Pringles

Pringles Member

Woah. When did they expose Diaz? Two offseasons ago?

rockets1995 likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes, he was eligible for the Rule 5 draft in Dec 2021 but was (very luckily for Houston) not taken because the Rule 5 draft was cancelled that year (but Houston could not know that was for sure going to happen when they made the decision to leave him off the 40 man that November).

raining threes and Pringles like this.
  13. Pringles

Pringles Member

God bless. It really takes luck to be a champion contender.

raining threes likes this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I honestly wish the Rule V doesn't exist. It has become so annoying. It feels like stealing our Club Best Players.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Daniels has a lot of upside.

All I can conclude is that Brown doesn’t like our farm system at all… but if that’s the case why hasn’t he made more changes?

raining threes likes this.
  16. ktex

ktex Member

@Nook have you heard that Bregman has actually moved to Arizona? :(

17. Nook

Nook Member

No idea if he has, but he has family there. I said two or three months ago the Astros were gauging the cost of Matt Chapman in free agency and were interested in him if the cost was reasonable.

Several people on here said the Astros interest in Chapman made no sense - but it does now.

Arizona will have the finances to sign Bregman long term.

Consider the possibility of the Astros signing Chapman and then trading Bregman to fill another need. Seems risky to me because Chapman’s bat hasn’t been great, but it could be feasible for the Astros to extend Altuve and Sign Chapman (depending on his market price) but not extend Bregman and Altuve. Even with only one year left, the Astros could get a solid value for Bregman in trade.

My expectation is someone will have money burning in their pocket and overpay Chapman - but if his market is sluggish, I wouldn’t be shocked if Chapman is signed by the Astros and then Bregman is moved for minor leaguers or pitching.

18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

When we were rebuilding we picked up a lot of players in the rule 5 draft. If memory serves, Luhnow's very first pick up was Marwin Gonzalez in a rule 5 draft trade.

19. ktex

ktex Member

Ugh, I do not like this but thanks for the insight.

IBTL, raining threes and Nook like this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros get:
    3B Tommy Troy
    IF Gino Groover
    CF AJ Vukovich
    RP Joe Mantiply

Diamondbacks get:
    3B Alex Bregman

That is fair value but for me doesn’t make sense for Houston. As a rental Bregman only has about $20M in surplus value.