1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

To get a bonafide star it’s goin take multiple pieces of our core. It’s called a package for a reason. Theyre going to want Jabari, amen , and first round picks

2. xaos

xaos Member

Is Jabari plus picks for JJJ really that bad? JJJ is 24 and has already won defensive player of the year who also can stretch the floor and fits in perfectly with our young core while still having upside.

I am high on Smith and wanted him 1st overall in what I considered to be a weaker draft where each top prospect had their flaws.... but if you could get the JJJ who is already Smiths best outcome (trade offs here and there in their player comps).... why is that so bad?

I also believe this would put the Rockets in top 6 defensive territory for the full year while still giving Sengun/Green/Amen the perfect environment to thrive into their best self, making him an excellent fit now and in the future...

Again, I really like Smith, but I think JJJ is better now and most likely in the future as well.

OremLK likes this.
  3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

This would be the one player I would trade smith for right now also. He's a perfect fit with our team and Memphis is in shambles. Wondering if we have a shot.

xaos likes this.
  4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

This terrible. You don't give up on Jabari this early. He could be better than Lauri in a few years,

bluffkin and saleem like this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Since the beginning of last season, here is Lauri's stat line:

25.4 points
    8.6 rebounds
    1.8 assists
    1.3 stocks (steals plus blocks)
    49.7 FG%
    40.0 3P%
    64.1 TS%

I like Jabari, I think he has all the tools to become a good starter in the NBA, and there is still a chance he becomes an all-star. But realistically, the odds of him exceeding what I just posted are very, very slim. Maybe he gets close to those numbers in his prime, but that would be more like a ceiling outcome than anything I would count on.

ilias likes this.
  6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone can put up those numbers on a bad a team with a good enough usage rate. He won't get the same usage in Houston. Lauri has been a revelation for Utah. But let's be real it took him 6 season to become something in the NBA and he came into the league older than Jabari did. He's 6 years older than Jabari who still needs to grow into his body. Let's see what Jabari looks like in 5 more seasons when he's 25. I still believe Jabari will be a much better defender than Lauri and he could be close offensively so he would be a better all around player. Soo many teams gave up on Lauri we coulda got him for free before last season.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Let's not act like it's just usage, the guy has been efficient as hell. I agree his volume stats would go down with a better team, but I also think he is a legitimate all-star caliber player now. Even if you want to adjust down, he would still be one of the best "second option" type of players in the league.

Jabari might become that good--he has the raw tools to do it, which is why he was such a lauded prospect--but he has a long, long way to go. If he ever gets to Lauri's current level I'll be ecstatic.

8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If he never gets to Lauri's level he is a bust. He has all the tools to be better. Just like Lauri he needs time to adjust. Lauri isn't good enough to make us a championship contender so why do it?

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Phew, harsh criteria!

I think getting a guy who can start on a championship team with the 3rd pick is good enough not to be a total bust. Maybe not everything you hoped, but okay.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Perhaps wait a bit and see if Landale for Timelord can make up part of the equation.

The trick in getting a legit backup 5 is sending Landale out in the deal (so we aren't overloaded with backup Cs on the roster).

jch1911 and Corrosion like this.
  11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Serious question: do you think we are lacking offensive spark?

For me, Smith is giving us about what we might expect offensively - given that we have prior options in FVV, Green and Sengun (in order of position not priority there).
    Do you think there are suddenly more shots for Lauri to take?

I agree Lauri is a far more polished offensive player than Smith (probably than Smith will ever be), but we need a 4th or 5th scoring option here who can play defence and rebound and defer. I'm happy with what Smith is bringing offensively at the moment (and expect him to find more at NBA level of what he showed in SL and preseason as his career goes on)

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would give everyone a full season with Ime (not counting Oladipo who is just a tradable contract to me) except probably Landale and Bullock "and below" whom I'd be willing to trade. Don't see a strong reason to trade anyone else right now, unless it's an offer we cannot refuse.

ceonwuka likes this.
  13. OremLK

OremLK Member

I have mixed feelings about it. He's young enough that I would consider trading for him at the right price. One of only a handful of players I would consider breaking piece(s) off our core for if they became available. (Off the top of my head: Luka, Tatum, JJJ, Jokic, Giannis.)

But to answer your question about needing an offensive spark, I don't think our top 10 ORTG is sustainable. I think our true talent level probably lies somewhere around 20 at the moment. That will likely improve over the next few years as our young core matures, but whether we'll have any pure scorers as good at getting buckets as Lauri, I don't know.

I agree with @AroundTheWorld that we don't need to force things. However, if we are looking to consolidate assets, and I don't know whether we are, power forward is our most obvious place to upgrade right now, and it just so happens that two of the best young power forwards in the league are both on struggling teams. (JJJ and Lauri.)

14. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I know everyone is looking for the next star but what about bringing in some more solid vets? I kinda feel like the Rockets just need to add some depth to go from a play in team to a playoffs team.

HOU IN: Capela & Mills
    ATL IN: Oladipo, Bullock, Landale & BKN 2024 FRP

Houston could also sign Austin Rivers for additional guard depth. Capela gives them a true 3rd big for their rotation and would be an interesting trade chip next season bc he will be on an expiring contract. Mills adds shooting and vet savvy.

Atlanta might need some more drafts capital to accept this trade and I would be willing to include a SRP or 2 to get the deal done.

FVV/Mills/Holiday
    Green/Amen/Rivers/Whitmore
    Brooks/Tate
    Jabari/Tari/Uncle Jeff
    Sengun/Capela/Bobi

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm all for bringing in another vet. I'd be a bit surprised if Atlanta is willing to trade Capela for draft picks. He's starting and productive for them. They're a young team and right in the thick of the playoff hunt in the East. A draft pick does not help them this year. Even if they wanted to free up minutes for Okongwu, they'd lose a lot of center depth without Capela. He isn't even an expiring contract so they have no urgency to move him right now.

I think a more available target is Kelly Olynyk. Utah is terrible right now and their season is going nowhere. He's an expiring contract so if they don't trade him before the deadline he's likely gone. He's played very well here before. While he's not a good defender he's an experienced vet that can shoot, pass, and rebound. We just need him to spell Sengun's minutes and I wouldn't even mind re-signing him.

Corrosion and OremLK like this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Olynyk would probably be my top veteran target right now. Maybe also Drummond from Chicago.

17. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Agreed if there is no value in a trade, we should rather see what we have.

Jabari shows flashes of figuring it out

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’ll say it — Smith + stuff for Markkanen is one of the few “blockbuster” trades I’d seriously consider. Not saying we’d do it, or even have the assets to do it, but a core of Sengun/Green/Markkanen/Brooks for the foreseeable future is darn near perfect.

ilias likes this.
  19. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Olynyk is my 2nd choice. I prefer Capela bc he brings a lot of things that the Rockets don’t currently have at the Center position. Maybe Jock can find his feet and be the defensive big off the the bench the Rockets need. I’m still not 100% out on Landale but he needs to get it together soon or the Rockets need to look at a replacement. I don’t think Uncle Jeff is going to look this good halfway through the season.

MrButtocks likes this.
  20. Boii

Boii Member

Alex Caruso for a first and expiring

BamBam and HamJam like this.