1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Give Stone his credit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Jun 24, 2023.

1. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

There are many many issue about saying our team's general manager is the best in the league. While our GM has accomplished a few good things, we may be ignoring a lot of things about him and mainly, his competition. OP & friends could be more cautious of hyperbole and revisionist history when evaluating our GM's standing. Our team's current success involves many factors beyond just management.

But fine, I can imagine that is too complicated for some people here. And I mean, he only made mistakes hiring coaches, drafting, prioritizing talent, trading, with extensions. Getting value out of players when discarded. Creating a healthy environment. You know, the little stuff.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Why does this sound like it was written by ChatGPT? :D

3. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

ChatGPT used a lot of words to say: I'm pushing the goal posts back so I have something to b**** about.

4. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I tried the "make this sound less aggressive" prompt. The original post was a one liner.

5. dmoneybangbang

LOL..... no. We still trying to overinflate KPJ?

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What would really impress me is if we do a trade at the deadline that takes us to the next level.
    This has been the game plan all along. Whether Stone is up to fulfilling it is the question in front of us.

7. dmoneybangbang

All in the context of tanking.

I'm just happy that things are different now that winning actually matters.

Even if KPJ didn't beat up his girlfriend, he's on a pretty tradeable contract that has to be guaranteed every off season. I think KPJ is just a blip and people look way too much into it.

I think the draft picks and the FA signings all mesh well together and don't overlap. His roster construction heading into this year seems pretty good.

8. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You mean he tanked? In which he did very successfully

9. dmoneybangbang

Look Stone is nowhere in the conversation for top 10 GM at this point.... he just doesn't suck as much as many would like to claim.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

You all do realize that Brooks and FVV are only here because of Udoka. Stone wanted Harden and was overruled by Ime to take FVV.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think we are overanalyzing. We don't know what goes behind closed doors of whom told who to draft Sengun or who told whom hire whom to sign whom.

I feel like Stone has surprised me with some great moves I did not see coming
    -Sengun and Tari
    -Brooks Signing
    -Tate signing

Some run of the mill moves that takes no brain
    -draft Green, Jabari and Amen essentially at their big board positions
    -signing FVV (we had to spend the money)

Really Baffling moves that shows his Greeness as a GM
    -holding onto vets for way too long and not get a proper return
    -Oladipo the first time like wtf
    -Committing to such a mediocre player like KPJ with serious issues

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Some folks are saying Stone wanted Harden instead of FVV and Vogel instead of Ime.

If true, then Stone was bailed out by someone else and his own vision wasnt so great.

#292 jim1961, Nov 14, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
    BaselineFade likes this.
  13. opticon

opticon Member

if that is true Tillman and son know that and no matter how good the rockets do Stone will be gone.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

So, what does he deserve?

[​IMG]

opticon likes this.
  15. vince

vince Member

While I would normally agree, I am genuinely enjoying watching the young fellas unlock their potential in a winning environment (Green, Alpi, Smith) .

Having Fred, Dillion, and Jeff Green infuse their tough as nails psyche has elevated the team into relevancy, and perhaps contention; with whispers of maybe becoming champion caliber upon having an extended period of success during the season.

With that said, I am enjoying the growth and flourishing of the rebuilding process. I think playoffs is a very real goal, and dreams of contention for a title may materialize if the accountability continues.

What is even more spectacular is that the two highly thought of rookies from the draft haven’t been needed just yet.

The squad has a potential to be extraordinary, especially with the coach exhorting his leadership qualities.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am enjoying this team immensely as well.
    But while its conceivable this unit as presently constructed could take us to the next level, by mid/late season (already?), I think we will see some areas in need of improvement to get to that championship level.

vince likes this.
  17. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Its fine to disagree, its a forum. Im happy with the current playing situation of this team and long term very happy with the position on this debate.

#297 fryjol7, Nov 14, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  18. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No you can't have it both ways. If you're a fan of the new rockets you have to acknowledge the tank was done to perfection. The tank is what put us in this position we're in now

19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

I made this BEFORE the season and predicted our success now, while some of you wanted Stone fired. Who's really the troll?

20. vince

vince Member

It would be plausible to ascertain the quality of the team by the trade deadline. And if a player becomes available, I could see the Rockets having the chips in terms of talent and contracts to swing for the fences if they feel inclined.

I am glad I am not the GM, because I generally look at the team with rose colored glasses. I kept thinking that Josh Christopher and Garuba, just needed time to blossom. It’s good having a GM that can fold a hand, even when there is still perceived value.

The Rockets may not need to make a trade when the trade deadline comes, but I think there are nice resources to bring in significant talent if need be.

jim1961 likes this.