1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal for Dillon Brooks (4 yrs/$86 million + incentives)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Ive been watching basketball for YEARS and I have never seen anything like it. He had two fouls in the first quarter and was able to finish the game w/o fouling out, all while playing excellent defense on their best players.

AND he was scoring, as well. It was one of the most awesome performance I have ever seen on the court.....PAY HIM STONE!!

2. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I’m almost certain Brooks is underpaid here. Lebron himself said it.

Dredd likes this.
  3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Give this man a raise.

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It didn't take long for him to convert a lot of Clutchfans, as predicted when he was signed.

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

They miss him, Ja Morant and Steven Adams very badly. The Grizzlies were never a deep team, bit when you lose those three and only add Marcus Smart, that’s a lot of production and chemistry missing.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The context here matters more than the actual result.

The narrative around CP3 at the time was that he was washed up, done as an NBA star and maybe as a player in general.
    He was seen as the worst contract in the entire league, $40+ million a year for a guy who couldn't get by anyone anymore and couldn't stay on the court. That contract was Doomsday in a salary cap league.

What CP3 did after that to transform his body and his game is pretty amazing. That he's still in the league today is simply astonishing.

Westbrook on the other hand was still physically there .... even if the fit wasn't anywhere close to ideal, you could expect 35 minutes and ~75 games in a season.

On paper, it seemed to extend the Rockets window ..... It just didn't.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think it's so much the number of shots he's taking but the quality of those he does shoot.

If he gets 2 or 20, I want him taking these open shot opportunities in the flow of the offense,

That's a big part of why he's shooting such a high percentage .... Fred, Alpi & the offense set him up for success.

Ancient Moabite and meh like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

I think it's related. Do you think he's going to continue average these %s?

Grizzles were a pretty good offensive team when Ja was swishing and dishing these past couple of seasons.

10. TimDuncanDonaut

@what Does Memphis miss Dillon? If he was still there would their season started better?

11. Dredd

Dredd Member

If brooks was Ryan Anderson he wouldn’t say the same thing.

BigShasta likes this.
  12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Still overpaid.........most NBA players are but he has added lots of value and experience to the team

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He has been awesome. I was skeptical but he has already won me over. And the fact that Memphis sucks so badly without him also says a lot.

BaselineFade, j@amc and mikenm268 like this.
  14. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

If that’s overpaying to actually be a good team then GOOOD ! it’s not our money :D

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Massively underpaid, what Brooks brings to the table for a young group like The Rockets is invaluable. They look up to him and look to him to have their backs on the court. Ime has been outstanding but one of the reasons the young guys are playing hard is because of Brooks. I think the young cats are also good for Brooks hence the better play, he knows he is a leader to these kids and does not want to let them down. He is being unselfish and playing composed and that doesn't just happen. They believe in him despite the fake social media narrative and he knows what he is capable of. Brooks is the 2nd best signing after Ime...

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Two part answer -

Yes, I think the shooting from the floor overall can remain in the same range of .556.
    That's been a product of taking and making high quality shots in general.
    It's been a combination of mostly dunks, layups and transition buckers that has given rise to his overall shooting numbers, I don't expect that to change much.

No, I don't believe the 3 point shooting is sustainable at the current rate of .556.
    Even the very best shooters don't sustain that over the course of an 82 game schedule - You do see a lot of guys get hot for an extended period of time like Brooks has.
    But again, I think his exceptionally high percentage of makes from distance is a product of the type of shots he is getting in the flow of the offense. I could see him remaining above .400 for the season which is an exceptional percentage.

plegus likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Just watched this video about Jrue Holiday and I was thinking about it in relation to Dillon:

TL;DW the Celtics have been putting Jrue on big power forwards and centers and it's kind of been working because Jrue has such a strong lower body and a low center of gravity that he can actually bang with them in the post. I've seen us do this some with Brooks as well and it's been working for us defensively too. Kind of an interesting tactic and Dillon is definitely strong enough to pull it off.

plegus likes this.
  18. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

If anyone is underpaid, it's Sengun. Making $3.5 million this season while Jabari is making $9.3 million (overpaid). I've always loved the signing off Brooks though. It's always a good thing, being able to get a player like that without giving up any assets.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They have Harden bang with Giannis and Embiid in the past. Why not.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He lost his composure at the start of the last game. But I'm surprised at how composed he has been throughout.