1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

It might not have been you, but there were ppl saying “will Anderson was the pick at 2 but we wanted to make it cheaper to trade up so we picked stroud first, so really we traded all that for a qb when Williams and Maye are there next year” I wonder how those people feel now.

Will Anderson was the best defensive prospect last year, this year and next year.

CJ Stroud looks better in the pros than Williams and Maye look in college.

and you got both for an additional 1st and a 2nd. 2 of the most important positions, at the start of the rebuild. the fact that the 1st rounder is falling out of the top 15 when it was projected to be top 5 should make this entire thing a moot point. I understand you are owning and adjusting to it just being expensive but not outrageous, but I just don’t see how we could have done even close to better with that extra top 30 guy and top 15 guy.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Well, yeah - they absolutely drafted Stroud first to lessen the value of #3. They didn't want a bidding war for Stroud. It was very shrewd; perhaps Caserio's greatest moment here so far.

Yes; Anderson was a generational talent... but so was Jalen Carter (who's been as good/better than WAJr) And at 12, they would've been in range to draft/trade up for him (and only cost a '24 4). I know the baggage, etc. - my point is trading up for Anderson wasn't the *only* way to land a generational talent. This draft is looking STACKED with future stars.

So, again: you're leaving out the 12th pick. Carter aside, here's who was on the board at 12: Jahmyr Gibbs, Christian Gonzalez, Smith-Njigba/Johnston/ Flowers/Addison...

So it's one of those guys + the 33rd pick (LaPorta? Mayer?) + whatever they might be able to draft next April.

Would the Lions deal Gibbs, LaPorta and a top 15 '24 pick for Anderson? I have no idea - but that's what the Texans essentially did. It's a lot. Especially for a 3-win team

But I love that they have Anderson.

raining threes and crose like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

4. redrowdy03

redrowdy03 Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. conquistador#11

"He can see everything without seeing nothing." Dan Orlovsky on Coleridge's ability to manipulate defenders with his eyes.

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

This is good. I am forward thinking by nature which is only good if I stay based in reality and not high on hopium. Even with my take, the cost requires more than just player evaluation to make it worth it. It's the "make others around you better' requirement.

As much as I've liked the early returns, it's definitely too early to make definitive statements to whether it was worth it.

#3027 Marshall Bryant, Nov 9, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
    Hey Now! likes this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I know I was saying that and even playing around with the idea of moving up for Carter as well. Then taking a lower ranked QB prospect to compete with Mills.

So I was NOT a fan of an early QB draft. And I bought into the draft QB next year. How do I feel now? Pleasantly WRONG. And that's not a place I'm used to.

9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Dak? Lol

cbass and crose like this.
  11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Jalen Carter says hello, and we coulda got him at 12.

Things are still working out though.

raining threes likes this.
  12. raining threes

^^^^
    This

Very happy to eat crow.

13. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

But we wouldn’t have, he went earlier.

Now would the results be the same for both players if Carter goes for the Texans and Anderson to a stacked Philly D?

conquistador#11, red5rocket and crose like this.
  14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Josh Allen with 9 interceptions shouldn't be rated so high in my opinion. CJ could get interceptions every game for the rest of the season and not hit 9. CJ has a higher RTG as well.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

But Hurts should?

Anyone can see Allen has been elite this season. Him and Mahomes have thrown more picks than they should but they don’t have a ton of help outside of their main guy.

17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't even notice Hurts at the top. What a joke. All 3 of those guys you named have better offensive lines than us, and a combined 25 interceptions. They also have much better running backs, which helps take the pressure off them. I think they get more credit from their past than this year. I hope CJ passes them all at some point in NFL rankings.

#3037 deb4rockets, Nov 10, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
  18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

We coulda moved up to get him and I'm not sure, but it's laughable to say Anderson is the best unless you act like he doesn't exist.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Yeah we absolutely could have, should have and would have.

It’s equally laughable to see they would be doing exactly the same in flipped situations.