1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. Qan

Qan Member

Maybe when he sees his Lakers get stomped, it'll motivate him play even better this Sunday?

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

They've mentioned a few times now (live on set) on how they saw a day one starter on Sundays, when they were on the sidelines of that Georgia/Ohio State game.

I feel like if it would have been any other kid, with any other school, he would have been a no-doubter #1 overall pick. Because he belonged to the OSU Buckeyes program and how jinxed every single QB has been since coming out, he already had the stigma labeled on him.

I admit, originally, I was one of those guys. I wanted Bryce and was convinced he would/could succeed, even given his limitation. But once I begun to take a deeper look at his plays made vs. his ratios, I started considering less where the guy was coming from and more what he was able to put together on film.

Joe Burrow broke that stigma a few years ago in regards to the LSU "greats" that have come out of there, of late. I'm glad that we didn't have to trade any assets and still got OUR guy, then used those assets to get our OTHER guy. This team will be magical in a few seasons, if not sooner.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Stroud tape was very similar to Joe Burrows in college while CJ was MUCH younger. You could even argue that he had a much better arm as well.

If were being honest. CJ's athletic ability was questioned because he was a black quarterback who didn't use his legs.

Georgia tape said he could move just fine.

Tape said he was extremely intelligent.

So why wasn't he the consensus number 1 when QB2 was a 5'8 QB out of Alabama? Same accuracy and ball placement traits as Joe Burrow who was considered by far the consensus in his draft.

Houston ended up lucking out.

FLASH21, whag00 and Fulgore like this.
  5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

CJ and Burrow is a great comparison. Same type of arm and accuracy and both clutch as hell.

red5rocket likes this.
  6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Those moves ( Demeco Driven) changed the culture of the team. You can’t put price tag on not having to hear Watson’s , Easterby’s, Hopkins, & Obrien’s name associated with the team anymore. The draft moves along with the performance of the team has shifted the negative narrative and got results on the field. How valuable is that? It just think those guys deserve a crap ton of credit for having the vision to make that move. All you hear now is Demeco, Stroud, tank Dell, Anderson & etc….,All positive.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Eh... I get where you're coming from - but none of those changes have any connection to the Anderson pick. It was fun and exciting, and the bill won't come due for several months so everyone can enjoy it. But it was steep price to pay for a team that still needs more - not less- assets.

8. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just curious, but what would you think of the trade if we had selected WAJ first and then traded the exact same assets to move up and take Stroud?

houstonstime likes this.
  9. kpdark

kpdark Member

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This might be bordering on giving CJ too much credit, but one of the things I like is how he rarely (never?) seems to hang his receivers out to dry. I guess that's the whole idea of "throwing them open" or whatever. But considering our two best wide receivers are either injury prone or very, very smol...not putting them in a position to get lit up after a catch can be huge.

11. conquistador#11

He has Dusty Baker level quotes

Shark44, zeeshan2, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  12. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I know it was Primetime but wasn’t this there also on Super Tecmo Bowl? As for the vid….not much to say

13. conquistador#11

Vanessa me tooing Stroud?
    That's not right have some respect.
    loved the interaction.

Blatz, mikol13 and Fantasma Negro like this.
  14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Anderson has Alabama ties to a HC in the Draft War room with Alabama ties. Demeco wanted a QB and the top Defensive guy in the draft who happened to be from his school. It’s not hard to see the connection, The HC wanted his guys to set a new tone and got them.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Kid is everything you want when it comes to representing your team snd city.

bigdaddy and conquistador#11 like this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'll be glad to revisit it later. The valuation at the time was regressive [next year will be like last year] rather than dynamic [Next year will be different than last year] by the pundits and other critics.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

His team did a horrible job of exposing his personality in college. From an outsider he really came off like a quiet smug type of character.

He is extremely personable. I have a feeling he will be doing a ton of commercials as his success rises.

18. Hey Now!

The idea the Texans would be picking top 10 next year was absolutely a major factor (and not a terribly controversial one), and I admitted as much: if Anderson proved to be LT 2.0 and the Texans picked 15-20+, the deal looks MUCH different and decidedly better.

I'm not really trashing the deal so much as owning my take. I've said all along: I loved the deal because it was fun and exciting, and I love Will Anderson. But... it was a hefty price to pay, and I still think that's going to land next April.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  19. Hey Now!

That's an interesting question... but I don't think it really changes the equation. I think my response - at the time - would've been similar: why didn't they just draft CJ 2nd and keep the assets?

20. Fantasma Negro