1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I think realistically the best option for the Astros is having eight capable starting pitchers, all of whom are load managed through the season so that nobody's burned out by the playoffs. The four best options for the playoffs should be obvious by the end of the season, the rest are bullpen depth pieces. Too much injury / inconsistency in the group of LMJ, Garcia, Brown, Urquidy, Javier, etc. to put any of them in ink as starters for the whole season, let alone the playoffs. Add JV's age and whatever happened to Framber in the playoffs to the equation, although I expect those two to be fine.

Wulaw Horn, Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Put Dubon at short, he hits much better than Pena

solid likes this.
  4. Marteen

Marteen Member

5. CinematicFusion

Need to also tell the media to stop saying Astros don’t have flexibility.
    https://theathletic.com/5042562/202...es-offseason-plan/?source=user_shared_articleThe Astros ‘don’t have a ton’ of financial flexibility. How will they approach the winter?

but maybe??? “I don’t think we have a ton, but I think the deal is this: I think Jim will do whatever it takes to win. And if it means that we have to spend a little more, he will do it. I think he’s definitely shown faith in me to drive this thing. So if I go to him and say, ‘Hey, we have this potential scenario on the table. You can probably get this done. I need you to get this approved.’ I think we’ll be able to do that,” Brown said.

6. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Altuve retires and Astro, so get it done - end of discussion.

7. Qan

Qan Member

Chandler Rome played a major role in running Dusty out of town. Maybe he should make hit pieces on Crane? Lol

Stephen66 likes this.
  8. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

So what about Lance being an opener?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not a terrible idea. Limit him to 60 pitches. Basically a starter that only goes once thru the order.

toby likes this.
  10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And he's a big proponent of not letting fans treat the CBT like a salary cap.

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Once (if ever) Lance is healthy, they will have several starters who profile better with fewer pitches or more rest.

The problem is that you need to find the balance between exposing a pitcher by extending him too many pitches, and exposing the staff by using lesser pitchers.

Limiting guys to 80 pitches and using 6 starters is usually better than limiting guys to 60 pitches and using 8 guys.

You still want as many innings as possible thrown by your best pitchers.

But as I said it must be a balance. The only thing I firmly believe is that the current staff does not have 5 pitchers who should throw 180 innings and start every 5 days.

6 man rotation?

8 man piggy-back rotation?

Openers and multiple 2-3 inning relievers?

Basically, whichever system uses the bottom of the pitching staff the least but also has least risk of injury, fatigue, and/or rust.

12. CinematicFusion

1. I don’t think anyone trusts McCullers to give you a full healthy season. Can his arm even whip out curve balls anymore?
    2. Garcia won’t be back until later in the season and it is more likely he will be back to normal in 2025 than 2024.
    3. Verlander will be 41 at start of season. His fastball
    Average last year was 94. Ryan at 42 in 1989 had a average of 95…
    “when you read of 85-90 mph fastballs from the 1980s, realize that they would be registering much faster with current measurement tech. An 85 mph fastball (if registered by a Speedgun at the plate) would be roughly 93 mph if measured by Statcast out of the pitcher’s hand.

And that makes the 100 mph pitches Nolan Ryan threw in 1974 (as measured by Rockwell laser/radar instruments relatively close to the plate) even more remarkable today.”… crazy how hard Ryan threw.

4. Does Hunter Brown take the next
    Leap forward or regress some his sophomore year?
    5.Does Framber, Javier get their act back together?

I think it’s smart for Astros to explore the starting pitching market. It’s not like our staff is filled with sure things in 2024. Tons of promise though.

edwardc likes this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Based on his awesome season in which he still had an OBP 15 points lower than Pena?

14. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

Oh one can dream if that were to happen.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Last season was agonizing in many respects. I am hoping for a much more upbeat experience next year. Get the right players, put them in the right spots, and play like you want it all. Win at home; no "batters eye" nonsense.

ktex, everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Extending Altuve and Bregman doesn't send salary through the roof though. Altuve's number is 25M for cap purposes and he makes 28M a year if that's what you are worried about. Bregman's numbers are 20M (cap) and 30M (actual). My strong supposition is that any extension for Altuve would be cap neutral and lower actual outlay, and any Bregman extension would jump the cap number a bit but be actual neutral. It's all about total committed but it doesn't really affect the cap (and yes I know it's not a cap- but we are treating in that way).

The Beard and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

So, literally none of anything he said in that paragraph appears to be true.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That actually makes more sense than a bullpen guy to me. Pitch him twice a week as an opener at 50 pitches? He knows when he's pitching, what time, how to get warmed up etc. Most times that's 2 innings, occasionally maybe 3. Sometimes maybe only 1. I like it better than bullpen.

20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I wonder how much of a crackdown there will be on injured list manipulation post-Mets mini scandal