1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore to G-League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by speedjames, Nov 7, 2023.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

From what I've seen so far, Cam appears to have a pretty high ceiling as an NBA 2-guard.
    But he's young and needs to learn.

My humble opinion is that he should play as much as possible in the G-League, with an emphasis on court vision.
    We have plenty of other young guys playing, in an ideal world, Cam has until next year before he starts logging heavier NBA minutes (an injury to Jalen might change that...)

Lovemachine2000 and Corrosion like this.
  2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If Cam were here the prior three years he would have been featured heavily, but there's too much competition for minutes now and a focus on winning games. They added six veterans in the offseason and Tate is healthy and playing great. Cam might deserve time over Bullock or Jeff Green, but they're barely playing as is. Tari coming back is going to squeeze him out completely.

clos4life and OremLK like this.
  3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Good move. We're not tanking now, get him tons of minutes to develop and hopefully learn that you can throw the ball somewhere other than the hoop sometimes without dying and he might get some time after the all-star break and actually contribute.

albuster likes this.
  4. j@amc

j@amc Member

This is a typical developmental move. He needs the work and conditioning. Far from a demotion, this is the path to earn the coach's trust.

glimmertwins likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

G-League Championship? One can hope!

Williamson, Bo6, Corrosion and 2 others like this.
  7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He needs minutes. It's pretty clear Udoka doesn't want to use him for whatever reason, so G League is probably for the best. It feels like maybe there might be something going on there, i dont know, but its odd that he cant get any burn even with the injuries. Dude needs to play though if he's going to develop, so hopefully he will make the most of it.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Fred VanVleet a former G League Player must have explained to Cam Whitmore. That it will benefit you, like it did for him.

BHannes2BHonest, Rashmon, Bo6 and 3 others like this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I co-sign this statement. This is Cam's opportunity to get some run, prove he can use his gifts to create good shots for not just himself but also others when defenses collapse. He becomes twice as valuable as a player when he learns to use his gravity for the betterment of the team. He also needs to practice those defensive concepts at game speed that he hasn't been able to do so far in this season. I think this is a good thing.

albuster and j@amc like this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Controversial statement - they should let Amen experience RGV too.

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Yep

HakeemOnlyFan and cml750 like this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's already one of our best defensive players and one of our best rebounders, he's versatile enough to play several positions (maybe even the 4 in a small ball lineup), and he plays unselfishly, so he doesn't hurt the offense much even if he still has some development to do on his shooting and ballhandling. He's also almost 21 and already got two years of reps in OTE, which yes, is a lower competition level than G-League, but it's still a lot more experience than guys like Cam.

I don't think he will have a hard time getting minutes under Udoka and I think he'll be fine learning on the job off the bench.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

oh dam, is he a bust now?

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Agreed. He doesn’t defend well or share the ball well. This is good for him.

albuster likes this.
  15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I don't know if Gleague gonna help a super confident young player with a chip on his shoulders, but sitting on the bench griping when called upon ain't helping either.. I don't think he needs to prove he's a big time scorer while down there.. Work on the things that'll help you force your way into Ime's rotation right now..

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't know if he qualifies as the "best" anything given his small sample size but he absolutely looked overmatched when trying to operate an NBA offense in a way that Kirkland Holiday and others did not.

The G league is a step up for him too. I watched the OTE docu-show on Prime - it didn't look near as good as the G league docu-show.

If the Rockets are convinced this guy is a point guard - great!

Let him do it for 36 a night in RGV for a few weeks or a month. Maybe he and Cam can develop some unbeatable 2 man game that leads to January Jubilation

#36 SamFisher, Nov 7, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
    HakeemOnlyFan and cmlmel77 like this.
  17. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Send Jalen Green back to ignite. Play Whitmore.

Corrosion, GotGame15 and PatBev like this.
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Busty Whitmore

Jontro and Patience like this.
  19. PatBev

PatBev Member

I have to watch Reggie Bullock get play time and Cam goes to g league

Straight bullshit

Jontro likes this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Ime knows best.

I for one am not going to second guess him on this.

Its easy to try to read something into this, but lets not forget, Cam isnt the only guy being sent down. So are Samuals and Hinton.

Certainly, working on their games is part of it. Another part might be that having guys around who dont get to play may be a distraction. Easier for the guys who do play to focus on the right things I think.

#40 jim1961, Nov 7, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
    Nook likes this.