1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I hate the idea of Chapman on the Astros. To me it would be almost as bad as bringing back Fiers.

Just a terrible thought as a fan regardless if it's a good baseball move or not.

Gurriel, the younger, is another player I hope they stay away from. He is just more of the same. A "strengthen your strengths and ignore your weaknesses" type of move.

I would not be opposed to Kemp but would hope he is in addition to another run producer who can start 50-75% of the games and hopefully play OF and 1B.

What this team needs is bullpen help, a backup catcher, and 1 solid position player who can start 50-75% of the games within the current position needs and improve run production vs RHP.

Anything else is gravy but those things should not he ignored by bringing in other players who don't allow them to get done.

13 in 33 and Hey Now! like this.
  2. Radricky

Radricky Member

I can’t even begin to imagine the stress a bullpen with montero and Chapman would induce.
    Hard pass

Stephen66 and arabrocket like this.
  3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think there are a lot compelling, future draft pick compenstation, reasons for going with the cheap route.

13 in 33 likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

cheap trade targets:
    C: Kyle Higashioka, Joey Bart, Jacob Stallings
    OF: Connor Joe, Garrett Hampson, Manuel Margot, Seth Brown, Starling Marte, Trent Grisham, Mitch Haniger
    RP: Alex Lange

moderate trade targets:
    C: Connor Wong, Elias Diaz
    OF: Brent Rooker, Max Kepler, Anthony Santander, Mickey Moniak, Mike Yaz, Austin Hays, Lane Thomas, Alex Verdugo, Tyler O’Neill
    RP: Carlos Hernandez, Hunter Harvey, AJ Puk, Scott Barlow, Jordan Weems, James Karinchak

expensive trade targets:
    C: Salvador Perez, Willson Contreras, Alejandro Kirk
    OF: Juan Soto, Luis Robert Jr., Randy Arozarena, Cedric Mullins
    RP: Aaron Bummer, Tanner Scott

Nook, 13 in 33 and No Worries like this.
  5. CinematicFusion

So how do fans put Crane’s feet to the fire and force him to go 50 million over the CBT?

The Beard likes this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't really know, honestly... But, I mean, seems like they may have had a hand in running Baker out of town, so...

But it starts with us not accepting that staying under the CBT is acceptable and a goal we should champion. He's gotten us all to buy into the idea that it's the only way to do business.

It's not. And it shouldn't cost us quality players if $5MM, $100MM, $15MM over would lock down an elite answer to a pressing need.

Justin Thomas likes this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I like Higashioka as a fit and availability quite a bit.

I think Justin Dirden and maybe an unranked lottery ticket prospect would be a good match for him.

The Yankees need outfielders, only have 5 in their top 30 prospects and 1 of them is Dominguez who will miss half the season with TJS. Obviously LH power plays at Yankee Stadium and they tend to not mind strikeouts as much.

8. Marteen

Marteen Member

9. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Interesting about the roster

SP:
    They just had as bad a season as any team can expect for injuries and starters missing games. However, they got through it, are not lose a single pitcher who started a game for them, added Verlander at the deadline, and the young starters theoretically will be prepared to take more innings. Furthermore McCullers and Garcia should healthy and available at some point.

This tells me that either they think there is a possibility injuries could be worse next season, Lance and/or Garcia are not as certain to return as we think, they are shopping starters, or they are just not happy with enough of the current rotation pieces.

OF:
    If they are not prioritizing OF then either they want/expect Meyers and/or Dubon to play extensively next season, and/or want 1 or more of the AA/AAA outfielders to step up and contribute in 2024.

To me that's interesting because it was a clear need. It also tells me that they are looking to actively avoid the CBT if possible and that internal OF options are better than pitching ones.

No Worries, cmlmel77 and The Beard like this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Very interesting candidate. Profiles somewhat like Hinch before he was hired.

No Worries and Htown Legend like this.
  12. Screaming Fist

They replaced Goodrum with a scout?

ryan_98, No Worries and 13 in 33 like this.
  13. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Fun little nugget about Montgomery. He was drafted by the Astros and had a very brief MLB career- with the Astros. He hit a walkoff homerun in 1996 to give the Astros a W… which was his first major league hit.

He spent a few years as a scout for the Brewers afterwards- which is probably something that really entices Dana Brown. He loves those types

IdStrosfan, Nook, No Worries and 2 others like this.
  14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

How much faith do we have in Dirden...? How many more innings do they expect Alvarez in left? Wouldn't surprise me if Altuve gets more ABs at DH esp if Dubon surpasses him in defense even more. (Despite the gold glove, I don't see Dubon being top tier in CF... I trust him everywhere else.)

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is troubling. Pretty significant thing for Brown not to know.

jim1961 and Hank McDowell like this.
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Or Brown is in the last stages of contract negotiations with Espada.

The Beard likes this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Perhaps Brown is lying his ass off.

If Brown said that the Astros desperately need OF help,
    MARKET will say ... "well that is going to cost you bad".

IdStrosfan likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I read it as more of a "promotion" for McCormick, giving them three starters with Dubon is in the mix. So whether it's Meyers or someone else, they're likely anticipating only needing a 4/5 OFer, and, to me, anyway, that wouldn't rank as a "priority."

Of course the other read... do they feel confident Brantley is coming back?...

19. Screaming Fist

It’s crazy but it feels like his responsibilities regarding the major league team are very limited and maybe this is a reflection of that.

Snake Diggit and Radricky like this.
  20. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

0% faith in Dirden.
    Lot of faith in Will Wagner though as a left fielder, 3rd, 2nd, 1st utility guy.