1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Qan

Qan Member

Astros have another SS prospect ready to take over for Pena if he's traded away?

2. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Peña’s not being dealt. His defense is a premium, his contract fits in with the what the Astros need and he turns huge revenue for the ownership (probably from women)

The Beard likes this.
  3. HTown2017Champs

The hypos where Pena is traded have Dubon playing SS.

4. HTown2017Champs

What does Eloy add? Poor defender, high whiff rate, noodle arm, and frequently injured. And he's earning a pretty penny, when we're pushing near the luxury tax limit.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The Astros who are short on prospects, would be giving up Brown (who most had tagged as a rookie of the year candidate about 1/2 way through the season), Pena who is in his second year after winning the 2 mvp’s the previous post-season and is still a golden glove candidate, Chas McCormick who in most measures every bit as good as Robert.

Cease has only been good one year (and it 2022, not 2023) and people are saying he is the next Cole, give me a break. Then we have to thrown in Barber and Arrighteti for grins. If the target is Cease then I could buy Brown, Arighetti, Barber and Myers or something like that, but leave Chas and Pena out of it. We made the ALCS for heaven’s sake. Why blow it up bringing in players from a losing Org at the price of our up and coming stars? I have mad respect for Snake Digit, but this trade is not a good one.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Interesting stat. Every time Brantley PLAYED in the Post Season we lost (2019, 2020, 2021, 2023). and every time McCullers PLAYED in the World Series we won (2017, 2022).

Moral of the story is keep McCullers healthy come playoff time and don't resign Brantley.

Stephen66 and No Worries like this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Pena is very unlikely to be dealt but is one of the only real trade assets the team has.

No real replacement in the system that is within 1-2 years of being ready. Kessinger would be a moderate step back with Dubon playing quite a bit.

At least into 2025 before either "real" prospects Brice Matthews or Camilo Diaz are ready.

Whitcomb and Steven's aren't very highly regarded currently as far as playing SS at the big league level.

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

2022 WS game#3 says Hi

Doesn't mean either of them actually had a big impact to either result.

By all accounts, Brantley acting as a coach had a huge impact on bats the last few games of 2022 WS

9. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

We won the series that year (not talking about the game)

And that just shows Brantley as hitting coach would be better

And if you took this seriously then I judge you already

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I get what you are saying But what does them being on the roster have to do with anything?

Neither were so impactful that they were a major reason for any result.

Fun fact: Dusty Baker never failed to take the Astros to at least the ALCS. Morale of the story bring back Dusty

No Worries likes this.
  11. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Christian Bethancourt was placed on outright waivers. Is he a possible backup catcher option?

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Mlbtraderumors estimates he will make $2.3M in arb this year which is why TB waived him.

He throws well he is pretty middle of yhe pwck defensively.

His 74 OPS+ in 2023 was his 2nd best in his career after 100 in 2022 so he may actually be only a slightly below average catcher overall but I would say no better than the guys the Astros have in the system for a fraction of the salary.

I would pass

punkoholic likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I’ll take two years of Tucker over one year of Soto.

14. Marteen

Marteen Member

This really depends on Soto agreeing to a multi-year extension. Between the two, I'd give it to Soto in a heartbeat with his resume. All hypothetical ofc, I don't see it happening.

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Everyone knew the Dickey promotion was coming, he and Brown are very tight. The big surprise around the organization was that Sarah Gelles was not promoted after it has been speculated for awhile.

J.R. and raining threes like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

The Cease and Robert interest by the Astros is nothing new. They worked on it before the last deadline too.

17. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

I hope they can get something done.

raining threes likes this.
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

As long as they keep Eloy in Chicago.

19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I just want to see the games for a single access direct to consumer affordable subscription for all games without blackouts.

And have we already forgotten Six Flags near the Astrodome for the first attempt at the World Class Experience?

20. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Hunter Brown has better advanced stats than Cease. I would say it's 50/50 on who has a better year next year. It wouldn't really improve anything if he went the other way on a Cease deal.