1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Dillon Brooks on Mental Lapses: “Feel like it’s the same guys that are doing that”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Nov 2, 2023.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

Lol they were all trying to protect Sengun from Curry that whole 4th quarter.

34to11 and JayGoogle like this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Steph Curry 1-5 when guarded by Dillon Brooks.

"cooked"

invocux and jim1961 like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is Year 1 for everyone. Everything before this year was suspended animation where guys learned nothing and just ran around.
    We have had to build the foundation from scratch. Completely tear down the house and rebuild. Udoka will have this team in the right place, but we need patience.

Nook, AroundTheWorld, Easy and 2 others like this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I’d go back to middle school and do it all over again just for half of Jabari’s salary

5. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

Deuce and Nook like this.
  6. maypk

maypk Member

I think i'll go with NBA defense dashboard data rather than Sengun haters on this one.

[​IMG]

invocux and HardenReturns like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

acting like you can measure defense without actual context is flat out ignorant. especially when evaluating defense is a gray area to begin with because it can't actually be measured by simple black and white variables

Nook, 34to11, JayGoogle and 1 other person like this.
  8. maypk

maypk Member

You're right. These stats don't even include the times Jabari fall asleep and his matchups just make wide open put back layups and wide open 3s. He's worse than these stats suggest.

HardenReturns likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

and it doesn't show how Sengun is hidden as much as possible and how Ime even acknowledges what coverages he wants to avoid with him.

Nook, 34to11, JayGoogle and 2 others like this.
  10. maypk

maypk Member

Not really. It shows Sengun contests more shots than Jabari with way better success rate.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah really. guarding non impact players who are one of the last options matters

you think this is a 1 vs 1 comparison acting like they both guard the same caliber players which common sense tells someone isn't true. Well anyone that knows wtf they're talking about that is

34to11 and JayGoogle like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Eye test vs "stats"

[​IMG]

34to11 likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Most of you don't even know or understand what good defense is. And folks who understand defense as a whole know it cannot be measured without context. but but but he has steals! but but but his advanced stats!

One guy is hidden and guards primarily non scorers. The other guys guards scorers and consistent scoring threats. But the defensive rating for the first guy is better! -CF's

Oh I wonder why that is

[​IMG]

clos4life, JayGoogle and glimmertwins like this.
  14. MystikArkitect

Pretty sure Dillon is talking about all of Jalen, Jabari and Sengun. Now that Porter is gone I was hoping the tribalism would stop.

Invisible Fan, Easy and tinman like this.
  15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Team is always going to struggle w/ defense and rebounding with Sengun at Center, due to his physical limitations.

Jabari isn't a great rebounder, but has great defensive upside. Whether he gets there, we will see.

We still need to get that traditional Center, maybe we get lucky and can nab Sarr, or perhaps sign Claxton in free agency.

34to11 likes this.
  16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nook, i3artow i3aller and J.R. like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

lol

the old playbook of "if @larsv8 keeps repeating a lie often enough, maybe people will start to believe it"

HardenReturns and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The people who complain about Jabari defensively or applaud Sengun's defense are cut from the same cloth in so far as they overrated often volatile defensive stats. I agree with you that defensive stats are inherently lacking context. There will always be the players coaches are trying to "hide" who will have better than expected defensive stats, the players who are giving more responsibility to guard the unguardable players, and of course the defenders good enough that offensive teams try to get them matched up on guys not in the play(think Kawhi) which again distorts their defensive numbers.

34to11, Easy, JayGoogle and 1 other person like this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

And here they come

[​IMG]

34to11 likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If Sengun has physical limitations then so does Jabari