1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fred VanVleet will be the worst FA acquisition in Rockets history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Oct 29, 2023.

1. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

You could hire the three highest-paid coaches in the NBA to "develop the young core" and they would do a better job and cost less combined than Fled Vlan Vleet.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Fred. Good solid player, and exactly what Amen needs to see to maximize his development.

Big fan of the DB signing too.

Amen+JG+Tari+Jabari+Sengun are all going to get a LOT better in the next few months.

Tfor3 and Y2JT like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

On this I disagree with you.

He doesn't fit our players athleticism......um I'm not going to list all his flaws as a point guard.

We have a shooting guard named Jalen Green that doesn't need VanVleet showing him how to to
    an inefficient shot taker.

And who is impatient ? Wasn't it Tilman that spoke volumes at the press conference
    when Udoka was hired when he said he expected results sooner rather than later.

Silas was already gone....so it was message sent to more than likely Stone, "win now!!!"

Hemingway is just bitter because I said before free agency that we should go after
    Brook Lopez and spend around $30M to get him. Hemingway responded "rule-38"
    He won't be had for nearly that much. Bucks re-signed him for $25M and the
    Rockets were dumping TyTy, Josh Christopher, Garuba, Kenyon whoever to
    clinch Lopez. So Hem was wrong here.

He disagreed with me about signing VanVleet. Hem was wrong here as well.

Instead of @Hemingway being bitter, be right next time....like me

DaDakota and JCDenton like this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I could see that attitude from the front office, although they let Wall sit. I think Ime will be trusted with the rotation for the next couple of years, which means it is really up to Amen to unseat FVV. I’m hoping it happens at least by some time next year, not because I want FVV to suck, but I am hoping Amen is the franchise player we’ve been looking for.

OremLK likes this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I usually respect your basketball takes, just not the know it all attitude. You have not been right all the time like your jokic and denver takes last year. If you had even a little bit of humility, you would realize that you’re not infallible and that others have valid opinions. You really sound like Trump in that regard. Not bringing politics into it, just a narcissistic example.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think what would happen is we would give Amen starter's minutes (or nearly) but off the bench in a Manu type of role, and make FVV play off the ball more often. Then if they really wanted to make a change because FVV was playing badly we would pay some draft capital to offload him in the offseason.

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Hahaha! I’ve never been bitter and I’ve never been a huge FVV fan, but thought it was a decent move as was the Brooks move. I’m not an only fan of any player, but I definitely wanted the offense to flow through Sengun in the half-court more often than not. I also don’t and didn’t disagree that shooting was going to be a problem, just thought our transition game might be able to overcome it, which it still might.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I don't protest to know it all and if people want to glamorize the one loss while ignoring the 9 wins I have around them then that's on them.

You like most media sound petty and full of yourself. Never owning up to their own losses
    or mistakes.

Good day to you. I'm here to teach basketball to those who want to learn....if you think running your mouth is more important, then don't learn.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

We are done here.

You can put me on ignore.

I never approach your posts a contradict you. It's always vice-versa. Next time you contradict me I'm going to remind you by stating "rule-38"

In other words, don't bother

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t put anybody on ignore unless they are intentionally racist or obvious trolls. As I have stated many times, you have good basketball knowledge. I will continue to respond when I see fit. You can put me on ignore. I really don’t have an internet ego.

11. Dredd

Dredd Member

I wonder if players have said the same about FVV

Ren ason likes this.
  12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I also hope Amen turns into that guy (I don’t care who turns into that guy!). But Wall was in a completely different situation. We were even younger and actually needed his minutes. Amen isn’t ready for any real minutes. That’s not unusual even for a high pick rookie. We also were deliberately trying to tank. We have no desire to continue that strategy. For one, 4 epic loss seasons is really really bad for any organization. You’ll lose sponsors, ticket sales, season ticket holders, merch sales, food sales, etc. Rockets could not attempt that again and even if we did, we owe our pick to OKC if it’s outside top 4. And we just saw what happened to the team with the worst record — we barely held onto 4th spot (not that it was owed to OkC last year). To tank AGAIN and then LOSE that pick would be far worse than Amen spending 1-2 years in RGV and off the bench.
    I’m sorry, what?! are you telling posters who “contradict” or disagree with you they aren’t allowed to respond? Tell me I’m not reading that right…who wants to live in an echo chamber?

13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

…it’s hard to tell sometimes if y’all are serious. Do you mean this rockets team or the raptors? Because lol if this is seriously asking if rockets players, three games in, have told FVV how much he means to them…that said, green already said as much before the season!

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Did I say everybody? No

Hemingway wants to judge me by my take on the Nuggets / Jokic not being able to win the championship.

Then I cancel him out on him being wrong on his take that Brook Lopez wouldn't get near $30M.
    In free agency.

Hem claims I don't talk about my mistakes.
    I congratulated the Nuggets and Jokic on two or three postings and once with Verbal Christ saying I was wrong. Hem wants me to start every post by reminding people that or something.

I posted it 3 or 4 times, I don't feel I need to do it
    5, 6, or 7 times. My model for the Rockets remain what it has been for years....give me 6'9" wings
    and a rim protecting big man like Mark Williams and you can win.

It's America, the internet, everyone can say what they want. I'm saying I won't answer him. He doesn't want to hear me brag when I'm right, then he should put me on ignore. Problem solved

15. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

VV has a great game, struggles on the next one and he sucks. No wonder people talk **** about Clutchfans most of the time. Great community.

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

I didn’t see much of FVV when he was with the Raptors, so I don’t have a very strong opinion about him one way or the other. But, if we can dump him after next season then I don’t really see the contract as being all that bad. If the guy sucks he will be gone in 18 months. Not a big deal.

Mathloom likes this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Clutchfans is one of the best, if not THE BEST, sport forum in the world. If you don't like it, you don't have to stay.

Try go to other forums. They are 100x worse. Sports fans are fickle, emotional, and extreme. That's pretty much the definition of Fanatics. You can even argue that it's part of the fun of being a sports fan. But there are plenty of levelheaded posters here giving you informative takes. And there are a few insiders or semi-insiders to occasionally some not so public glimpses.

Those who talk **** about Clutchfans don't know what they are talking about.

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t know if FVV will eventually pan out, but anybody who wasn’t prepared for the first half of this year to be ugly is delusional. It’s still an overall young team trying to implement an entirely new strategy under a new coach with a very tough schedule. I’m still optimistic that they will eventually start getting some chemistry and things will click, but I’m not expecting it anytime before the new year.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

I just want to add that that trade was even worse than on the surface. Because the Rockets essentially traded him for Kelvin Cato, who then played some good preseason games that got parlayed into a 6yr/$42mil contract. For those youngsters who don't know what the old days were like, that is the equivalent of giving someone today a $168mil contract. For a guy who would end up averaging 6pts/6rbds for the Rockets.

So yeah, for anyone thinking that FVV, even if he ends up being totally worthless with the Rockets, to be anywhere close to the worst contract in Rockets history... yeah no.

JayGoogle likes this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Freddy is solid but he lost a lot of his athleticism which is rough given his height.