1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll][Rockets Season 2023-24] Jalen Green Unleashed... Will He Rise...or Wilt....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jul 24, 2023.

?

will he

Poll closed Nov 1, 2023.
  1. rise

79.5%
  2. wilt

20.5%
  1. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

It is now year 3 and Green is still frustrating. He can get by any defender but struggles with help defense. He is basically always trying to finish over the help defense. This usually doesn't work. He needs to either be able to pass to the open man, or use a floater or any kind of counter.

That being said, I expect Udoka to work on him with that. So I am willing to give him time. There is no reason he is not a 25+ PPG scorer on good efficiency. Let's see if he can be that with good coaching.

NewAge likes this.
  2. NewAge

NewAge Member

yes, we saw some effort and rebounding awareness. He still doesn’t box out, but with his cat-like quickness all he needs is to just put some effort and pay attention where the ball goes and he’ll get boards. Let’s hope it’s not just one game.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hate to bring in KPJ but that dude was about the same size and could rebound.

4. Landry's Tooth

Sure, but you could say that about 100 other guys not doing it in the league.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree we miss Tari. But who do you think Tari's minutes will come from? You want Amen to have a lot of time for development. They also need a back up big man. Right now it's Jeff. I am not sure Udoka is ready to play a lot of small ball center. The other guy on the rotation so far is Tate. When Tari is back, Tate will likely see less time. The coach seems to trust him a lot. I always like Tate because of his grit. But he is a limited jack of all trades kind of guy. And the +/- numbers seem show that he is not contributing to winning.

OremLK likes this.
  6. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think it’s time to shake things up. There are a couple of days left for JG’s year 4 option, I think Fritata needs to step-in and do these two things:
    1. Fire Stone
    2. Decline Green’s option

I don’t see how this boi can become a $12.5M-worth NBA player next year.
    With KPJ and Green off the books, and declining Jeff Green and Londale’s options, the new GM will have some cap-space to work with.

A shakeup is desperately needed. This franchise and this city does not deserve this.

bluffkin likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Interesting question. Let's look at who all got minutes last night:

FVV: 32
    Jalen: 38
    Brooks: 34
    Jabari: 34
    Sengun: 33

Amen: 19
    Tate: 21
    Bullock: 6
    Uncle Jeff: 21

First obvious cut is Bullock's minutes. That's 6.
    Uncle Jeff played some minutes alongside Sengun. (33+21=54.) So we can get 6 more minutes there.
    As good as Tate was last night, I still think Tari is the better overall player. Let's scoop 3 more minutes from Tate, leaving him with a more-standard 18 off the bench.
    Then we have to talk about Jabari. I'm not going to hate on him like some of our posters, I think he just needs to get comfortable and he'll be at least a decent player this year. But he's not at the level where he needs to be playing 34 minutes. Let's give maybe 5 of his minutes to Tari.
    Lastly, I don't think Jalen needs to play 38 minutes per game. Give 2 of his minutes to Amen and it'll free up those minutes at the 3 for Tari.

So we got 6+6+3+5+2. That gets us to 22mpg for Tari with the biggest chunk of those minutes coming from Bullock, Jabari, and Uncle Jeff when he's played the 4.

Easy, O-dawg and HardenReturns like this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Yeah I agree 100%, he's not got the meanness to power through people like Westbrook (though he definitely has the athleticism to power through if he tried) and he's not a heliocentric type player you can expect to pull something out of nothing. I feel like even though it's an improvement, Ime's current offense isn't actually that much more inspired than Silas, compare it to the plays the Warriors were running and our guys were flying all over the place where theirs barely had to move to defend us. We've got ball movement, but not ball movement that's putting the defense out of position. Most of the actions we make come from simple screens much as they did under Silas.

9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Nix, multiple times, all last season. Funny how the only other player they praised like Green is Sengun, not all the random players we have.

10. kpdark

kpdark Member

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Setting Green aside for the moment - This team is going to struggle offensively all season long. It's just how they are built.
    Last season they were at or near the bottom in all shooting metrics, they lost their best shooter to stupid (KPJ), their second best (Tari) shooter is on the bench with an injury and the two free agents they brought in are mediocre / average shooters at best.

I doubt they come close to shooting league average this season. This is just a team filled with dudes who are bad to average shooters, its hard as hell to win like that.

Rockets last year - league average

total shooting - .457 .475 29th
    2 point .530 .548 25th
    3 point .327 .361 30th
    free throw .754 .782 25th

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

There second best shooter was Jalen Green. They are a percent different and take completely different type of threes. Tari is the one passing it off to Green when there are 5 seconds left and the play is broken not the other way around.

13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

How devastated are you that they picked up Green's option? :D

i3artow i3aller and fchowd0311 like this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They picked up his option today.

Not picking up his option would have made him an unrestricted free agent at seasons end.
    The only way you keep Green on your roster next season is by giving him a max extension, otherwise he walks to another team and you no longer have the ability to match via RFA.

Now I don't think he's really worth that $12.5m next year but if you decline the option you really limit your options on the future. You essentially have to trade him before the deadline in that scenario.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No!

2022-23 Houston Rockets Roster and Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Green shot .416 from the floor, 12th on the team.
    Green shot .338 from distance, 6th on the team.

No Worries likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jalen needs to learn fundamentals - if/when he does he will get where he wants ...if not, he will be a nice scoring option but never a star.

DD

No Worries and fattz like this.
  18. fattz

fattz Member

It’s not really all his fault either. It’s a timing thing because he is a Covid kid. The gyms were closed.

19. NewAge

NewAge Member

My problem is 0-3, it’s not the Green option. Looks like nothing has changed.
    We sit and hope for a turnaround, I guess…

20. kpdark

kpdark Member

#220 kpdark, Oct 31, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
    Dobbizzle likes this.