1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At least 16 killed in Maine shootings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Oct 25, 2023.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Horrible.

ROCKSS and Space Ghost like this.
  3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

My heart breaks for all the victims.

Of course in the US and no other country. Geez... I guess only the US deals with mental illness.

Also, Maine is open carry, where were all the guns to stop these types of incident?! I thought more guns in the public would stop this?!

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Less than a week ago...

A federal judge rules again that California's assault weapons ban is unconstitutional
    https://www.npr.org/2023/10/19/1207...lifornias-assault-weapons-ban-is-unconstituti

Andre0087 and mdrowe00 like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Maine is one of the safest states this country has to offer, but still couldn't escape this phenomenon. This event alone exceeds their annual homicide death toll averages (if you created an average for the last decade).

This is a sick trend, that's infinitely more trendy here than anywhere. American culture and society are rotting.

DYING EARLY AMERICA’S LIFE EXPECTANCY CRISIS
    AN EPIDEMIC OF CHRONIC ILLNESS IS KILLING US TOO SOON
    link

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had this discussions with another friend over the weekend. We both agreed that for our houses an AR-15 would not only too much for self defense since we live in small
    Houses with neighbors nearby shooting them inside our houses would out our neighbors at risk as the bullets would go right through the walls.

There is an answer for this but it won’t happen with our current political makeup.

mdrowe00 and ksny15 like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I recall many of those opposed to more firearms regulation have cited Maine’s relatively high rate of firearm ownership with relatively low firearm crime as an argument for less regulation.

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As the story develops, CNN is reporting the person of interest is a gun enthusiast and certified firearm trainer with possible mental illness.

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

Gun nut with a gun.

Andre0087 likes this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you have Republican members of Congress wear AR-15 pins instead of the American flag on their jackets it says a lot about them. They are flaunting it, endorsing it, and encouraging it. That's the scariest part, because they encourage a lot of cult minded supporters who believe conspiracy theories and lies. They also encourage weak minded and mentally ill people to arm up to the hilt, and shed blood for their cause, whatever it may be.

The Republican party majority makes it a code of honor to join them in the fight to keep sporting these guns designed to kill multiple people quickly. They all join together to fight stricter background checks, fight funding mental healthcare access, and to promote the sale of these weapons at NRA conventions. It's a disturbing mindset.

I think about how Republicans showed up in support at that NRA convention as Uvalde parents were burying their children. I think of when days after the May 6 mass shooting in Allen, Texas, Lauren Boebert introduced a bill to repeal all “gun control provisions and every Second Amendment Infringement” passed from early 2021 to early 2023 and signed into law by President Joe Biden. It's just so disturbing.

#30 deb4rockets, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

mdrowe00 and Ubiquitin like this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

My guess is a whole lot of these people buying up AR-15s and similar type weapons have a twisted mind. Could be anything from smaller the p***s bigger the gun syndrome, weirdos playing GI JOE with big guns, bully intimidation types, conspiracy theory believers, to just plain evil and violent souls. There's a twist of mental illness in many of them, and the ones profiting off the gun sales, and the NRA and NRA funded politicians profit from it, so their greed takes over. Easy access and gun theft makes it easy for black market buyers and mentally ill folks getting their hands on the weapons.

#32 deb4rockets, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

mdrowe00, ROCKSS, adoo and 1 other person like this.
  14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yeah, uh huh.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How he is not in prison is a testament to how easily exploited our system is.

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Maybe the FBI should focus on Trump JR's followers.

edwardc, mdrowe00 and No Worries like this.
  20. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I purchased it because I do enjoy shooting them at steel. I live in AZ so we can go out to the desert and shoot steel in the winter months. I don't and would never use it for protection. Like a post above me said they make zero sense for use in home or personal protection. Banning semi auto long range rifles would prevent ZERO issues with people being able to defend themselves and the only people who would oppose it are people who think the Government is out to get them.

We also need to crack down on mental health in this country. Stop babying it. This guys firearms should have been revoked the moment he checked into a mental health center.