1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Baker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You are delusional to think that is enough for Soto. Whitley has no value at the moment. No one wants Jake Meyers.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

My main target would be Hader and move Javier to the bullpen. I think Brown is a future ace and it would be crazy to trade him. SP:
    Verlander, Framber, Brown, Garcia, McCullers until he gets hurt and then Urquidy or France. End of the bullpen: Graveman, Javier, Abreu, Hader, Pressley. Try to unload Montero and re-sign Muton. If they can somehow fix Pena we are 9 deep on offense. Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez, Abreu, Tucker, McCormick, Pena, Dubon. I still think Myers could be found gold with a new manager and then send Dubon to the bench as one of the best utility guys in MLB. We traded away our best OF prospects, but there is still Barber and Leon that could progress.

Stephen66 and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

LoL what a thorough, detailed reply.

Where in my analysis is the flaw? I broke it down for you. Show me where I’m wrong.

For some additional context, Teoscar Hernandez was worth roughly the same value Jake Meyers put up this year. Hernandez is entering free agency at age 31, and will likely command a 4-5 year deal easily exceeding $50M. I’ve estimated Meyers’ value at a fraction of that despite the fact that he’s younger and his surplus value wouldn’t be guaranteed to him which limits the team’s downside.

If you’re not gonna give an actual reply, you’re just being an ******* and making yourself look stupid.

CheezeyBoy22 and cmlmel77 like this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think San Diego not willing to move him for less than the sun and moon is more of a factor than your offer being unfair or unreasonable.

Htown Stros likes this.
  5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Whitley is eating space on 40-man rosters... and may be available for free... so no one will be trading for him.

6. lnchan

San Diego plans to compete this coming year. Their underlying numbers gives them a reason to do so. They are looking for additional impact players in the short-term or moving a piece that may be a chemistry issue at best. The name of the game is not to collect assets or make profits but to win championships over there.

Htown Stros likes this.
  7. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Is he really gone??? It's like early Christmas

Htown Stros and ApacheWarrior like this.
  8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Yup, as I had been assuming, he was already planning to be retired after this season regardless of the outcome of this season. No official announcement yet but appears to be a done deal.

Htown Stros and Stephen66 like this.
  9. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Sure takes the sting out of the ALCS, for me, anyway

Htown Stros and ApacheWarrior like this.
  10. Elienator

Elienator Member

Now that Dusty isn’t making any in game decisions and it looks like he’s retiring, good to see this thread moving on to the real topics like trading for Juan Soto!

Htown Stros and Jake Tower like this.
  11. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

how old is he?????

12. Elienator

Elienator Member

He will forever have just turned 21 for me!

13. AKdaDawg

AKdaDawg Member

“We’ll see” - Dusty Baker

14. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

He said we'd thank him later.

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

YuleC

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Oh yeah, what if I'm willing to give them 80 year old Verlander, 78 year old Jose Abreu and
    Ace Pitcher $11M Montero?

That's $70M dollars worth of prime talent for Soto who goes into arbitration.

You know what Ricky Bobby's friend once said. " Second place is just the last loser."

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Not sure I agree.

At least this guy sees it as I do.

I would consider one of McCormick or Dubon or Kessinger or Hunter Brown

But not Diaz

18. verse

verse Contributing Member

Whitley has more value to his home club than to anyone else in the league. He is an instate (Alamo Heights '09er) with a minor league track record of extreme talent and extreme pigheadedness. Noone knows this better than the Astros. For any other team, he's a talented, unproductive throwaway. ZERO value to them other than a scratch off ticket someone else bought for them.

For the Astros? The talent is still there, they think. Better to get him with the "right" coaching and "right" environment and see if it cashes in. Even as a RP, a high leverage RP is worth the effort to keep him.

Fwiw... I'd roll the dice next year, put him on the pen in the Montero role initially, and see if something sparks. Kid has talent.

P.S. I know, and have known, a lot of '09ers. His behavior is not at all surprising. "Old money", silver spoon kid. Manziel type, though Johnny is a Kerrville kid, they are cut from similar cloth.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. verse

verse Contributing Member

20. lnchan

Same age as Evan Carter apparently.