1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The search begins for the next manager

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Oct 23, 2023.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't know who would be the best replacement, but I do know that this years Astros had a ton of talent, but were very dysfunctional. As a former manager of a large and complicated organization, I have learned to see dysfunction. Fixing it is not easy. I would have a private absolutely confidential interview with every player, coach, and staff member. Consistent themes will emerge. Promise you that there were practices that were controversial. I promise you that there were pets, pleasers, and punks. I promise that disunity will be found. I promise you that there are well known personality conflicts. Many will have suggested solutions. Some will be reasonable, some will be ridiculous. Every organization can be fixed exempting the U.S. Government, Congress, and Enron.

Hey Now!, bcast89, arkoe and 4 others like this.
  2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Hinch said he "busted the tv monitor with a bat" to signify he didn't like it, yet the tv monitor was back the next day. this shows that Hinch is too passive aggressive if he didn't also say "don't put that **** back up", but even if him smashing it should have brought the point across, the rest of the team (or at least Cora/Beltran) didn't respect him enough if they put it right back up. Yeah he can stay in Detroit.

IBTL, kdchilds and Tomstro like this.
  3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Yah I was going to mention that too but was too heart broken to relive another 3-2 blown lead.
    PS can we consult with our hitters and change whatever in our home stadium so we don't blow game 6 and 7 at home

Blatz likes this.
  4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I do not find any of these names sexy

Fiah likes this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Partly why I think it’s Espada’s job to lose most likely. Not a bumper crop of replacements.

seemoreroyals and mikol13 like this.
  6. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

They didn't respect him.

Scarface281 likes this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Atlanta Braves Minor League Managers or Bench Coaches from the Braves

Hey Now! likes this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Carlos Beltran?

>DUCKS<

Stephen66 and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. HTown2017Champs

So, @Nook - based on the names you mentioned, sounds like a first-time MLB manager is likely?
    Not a fan of handing the keys to a rookie but if they do a very diligent search and are confident that the person they hire will be a good and competent fit, then I’ll stand by the choice.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The other option Is recycling a manager who was previously fired by a team worse than the Astros?

HeyBudLetsParty and rockbox like this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

Not necessarily. Especially when there’s a successful free agent manager on the market. But Craig Counsell is a Milwaukee guy and a former Union leader as a player, so I think he’s trying to leverage as big of a pay raise as he can. Still worth trying, maybe he’ll like no state income taxes, but then again, maybe Crane isn’t someone he wants to work for.
    Also, sometimes guys are better the second time around (like Hinch). My biggest concern is, a rookie may not know exactly what the job entails and struggles with growing pains associated with learning the job.

12. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I think former Astro Tim Bogar will be a potential name to watch

13. AKdaDawg

AKdaDawg Member

“We’ll see” - Dusty Baker

14. Yordan The Great

We won't see.

You're done.

The Beard and Stephen66 like this.
  15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Make Brantley a player-manager.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He hooked back up with the Yankees after he left, maybe he could bring us their newest sign stealing program?

Htown Stros likes this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Bring out Adam Everett and let’s turn 2

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sad people even mention Hinch...

I had a chance to chat with Espada while the Astros were in New York in August. I think he would be a great fit for this team. The players respect him and he was been a target for other organizations.

Mark DeRosa is someone I think could be a dark horse to get the job. He has been linked to the Astros.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I actually think there are a lot of strong candidates out there. The issue is that there aren’t any perfect fits on paper.
    The only thing I have had beaten into me by people around the team is that the next manager will be someone that is supportive of the philosophy the Astros have and embrace how the Astros make decisions, which is usually done through a lot of dialogue with a lot of different people with the owner breaking any “ties”.

Brown was handcuffed by Baker, and while I believe that Crane will make the final decision - whomever is picked will be someone Brown likes as well.

Counsel seems like the best candidate on paper but he is going to the Mets most likely.

The Astros are going to be picky - wanting someone with strong leadership skills, but also that is very bright and innovative and will build a relationship with the front office.

It is possible Boston decides to go a different direction and let’s Cora go and he would be someone I am sure the Astros would have strong interest in - but even he comes with some baggage because he cannot keep his mouth shut when he drinks.

I personally would probably push to pay Counsel what it takes and would have Will Venables or DeRosa be my back up option.

Marteen, itzIce and Bregatron like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I actually think there are a lot of strong candidates out there. The issue is that there aren’t any perfect fits on paper.
    The only thing I have had beaten into me by people around the team is that the next manager will be someone that is supportive of the philosophy the Astros have and embrace how the Astros make decisions, which is usually done through a lot of dialogue with a lot of different people with the owner breaking any “ties”.

Brown was handcuffed by Baker, and while I believe that Crane will make the final decision - whomever is picked will be someone Brown likes as well.

Counsel seems like the best candidate on paper but he is going to the Mets most likely.

The Astros are going to be picky - wanting someone with strong leadership skills, but also that is very bright and innovative and will build a relationship with the front office.

It is possible Boston decides to go a different direction and let’s Cora go and he would be someone I am sure the Astros would have strong interest in - but even he comes with some baggage because he cannot keep his mouth shut when he drinks.

I personally would probably push to pay Counsel what it takes and would have Will Venables or DeRosa be my back up option.

Dgn1, MadMax and HTown2017Champs like this.