1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Minute Maid Park cursed?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by VanityHalfBlack, Oct 23, 2023.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Should we rebuild a new park and name it Toyota Sequoia or something? Time to drop the juice.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's cursed but it really is bizarre what's going on this season. It really seems like in the three games played in MMP this series the Rangers seem to get all the breaks.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  3. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

We should rebuild it to the same specifications as the Rangers stadium since we score runs like crazy up there.

gfab-babyboi and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It really is crazy. And they haven't played *poorly* in MMP - they just aren't cashing in opportunities like they do on the road.

Last night:
    2-on, 0-out in the B1 and they score 1
    2-on, 2-out in the B3 and they score 0
    2-on, 0-out in the B6 and they score 1
    3-on, 1-out and they score 0

You can go through games 1 & 2, as well as games 1 & 2 of the ALDS, and see scores of runners left in scoring position. But that's not happening on the road. They get guys on and those guys are scoring when they're away. In bunches. 35 runs on the road in five games v 14 runs at home in 5 games is just... it's baffling. It makes no sense.

5. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Can someone please sneak in a live chicken and let it make the necessary sacrifice.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

In my 35+ years of watching sports, I don't think I've ever quite seen anything like it. Teams fight tooth and nail to gain home field advantage for a possible Game 7 situation like tonight, and collectively, it's almost like there's this resignation that this team simply won't get hits when they need them. If it was one or two guys struggling at home, I would say it's something to do with external factors like the Batter's Eye or the lighting. But the fact that every single guy up and down this roster has had a chance to come through in a big moment at home this postseason, and has failed....it leads me to believe it's completely mental. I really hope they are sitting back today, and telling themselves to stay calm, measured, and laid back. The last thing they should be doing is getting worked up to the point where they go out there tonight and swing for the fences in every AB. Let the game come to you, and just have fun.

VanityHalfBlack and marks0223 like this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I am right back where I was a month ago.

I have hope but no faith.

SWTsig, Tomstro and IBTL like this.
  8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think I predicted in one of these threads (before Game 1) that this series would mirror the 2019 WS. And I hate to say it, but I'm sticking with that prediction.

Has there ever been a team in the WS with a losing home record in the regular season?

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Same. I still have hope.

Tomstro likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Wet bulb eff3ct from the humidity.

11. Mashing

Mashing Member

I do not believe that has ever happened. There was a graphic during one of the broadcasts that said so at the beginning of the series if I recall correctly.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

This team plays pretty well under pressure. Losing the home games have put them under pressure to win on the road. Something has to give tonight.

VanityHalfBlack and Scarface281 like this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

My nails are going to look like Altuve's by 1st pitch but it will be exciting.

14. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

As "Mashing" mentioned about the graph, no team has ever won the ALCS with a losing (regular season) home record. Hasn't happened in the NL either, so no team has ever advanced to the WS with a losing home record. The closest was the 2001 Braves (40-41 home record) beating the Stros, but Atlanta didn't advance further.

#14 Red.Glare, Oct 23, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
    ima_drummer2k likes this.
  15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Astros have scored more runs on the road vs home for several seasons since the Eye was changed.

The difference this season is a worse pitching staff.

If batter's eye is the reason, there's room for an increased eye -- although just looking right now, it only seems 50%.

Management should've attempted that 50% years ago.
    _____

Specifically, this ALCS... Rangers have gotten the overwhelming majority of luck.

Ball-strike calls and BABIP

HTM likes this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's the curse of Tal's Hill.

17. HTM

HTM Member

This has been a problem for years.

It's not some anomaly.

Anyway, Eovaldi was 2/3 starts in MMP. That dude always shows out against the Astros. I am very glad he isn't pitching tonight.

18. HTM

HTM Member

Yea, this isn't a "this season we're way worse at home anomaly" it's been a thing for years. It's extremely frustrating as someone who attends a lot of games at MMP and watches the Astros score no runs.

Houstunna likes this.
  19. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Take out the Crawford Boxes :)

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Huh? The stros have had a damn good home record every year, outside of this year during this current 7 year run.

Of course it’s an anomaly. It was never even close to being this bad. None of this shows the stros playing at home has been a problem for years

48-33
    46-35
    60-21
    20-8
    51-30
    55-26

2023: 39-42 (this is where the anomaly actually exists)

#20 YOLO, Oct 23, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
    Scarface281 likes this.