1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Rangers vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2023.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Has Verlander even pitched in relief outside of Game 4 of the ALDS in 2017? And as I recall, that one didn't go so well.

I agree all hands are on deck, but Dusty doesn't need to be thinking THAT outside the box. He has guys who are used to pitching out of the bullpen, including starters like Brown and France. Stick with what's worked in the past.

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

the ump last night was horrific for the astros but it wasn't scott foster level. Do we win last night with a fair ump? Certainly a good chance we do, but not for sure. We'll see what they do today

Tfor3 and The Beard like this.
  3. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Javier gonna dominate.

4. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Nooooooo

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'm fairly certain history is not kind to teams that throw a 40 year old pitcher out there on 2 days rest. What do you think JV is going to give us against this really good Texas lineup that someone like France or Brown can't?? We have enough guys in the bullpen to get the job done. Putting JV out there would only tell me they are desperate, and without answers.

6. Elienator

Elienator Member

Is Tucker = Harden in this analogy?

The Astros ability to hit with RISP at home aligns with the brutal 3pt shooting in that game.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  7. Crystal Palace Astro

Only need a 5-3 record to make it 2 in a row. Let’s go!

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Already put $200 on the Rangers. If my betting record is any indicator we’ll be in the WS

#10248 REEKO_HTOWN, Oct 23, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
    ROCKSS, Pringles and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's a stupid ass analogy frankly. This team has come up clutch in almost every possible way across these last 7 years, and has won more than any other franchise in Houston sports history. This team is full of winners, and guys who come up big more often than not when you need them to. Yes, they're struggling at home for some unknown reason, but tonight doesn't define their legacy the way Game 7 defines the Rockets. The book on this era of Astros players is that they are ****ing WINNERS, no matter what happens tonight.

10. Elienator

Elienator Member

This. If Verlander is in the game then it’s probably extra innings and the Astros have exhausted all other options outside of maybe Blanco and Montero.

11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

True but for this postseason run it fits….so far.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'll say this about Dusty: if JV tells him he's ready and willing, Dusty won't hesitate to pull the trigger. I suspect game 7 in 2019 might've been managed differently if Dusty had been here. Going with JV tonight, or Cole in '19 (or trusting Grienke) is a Dusty Baker special.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

... have we? He has a .711 career postseason OPS. He's certainly had moments - but if you start to think back over this run... and, granted: he wasn't here in '17 or '18 and was just a rookie in '19 - but there aren't too many memorable moments that involve Kyle Tucker despite him totaling 219 PAs since '20. He had the two homer game in the '22 World Series (a game we eventually lost - not his fault) and did make the final out last year. But...

14. CinematicFusion

Verlander is terrible on 3 days rest. Can’t use him

but I guess we could also see Montgomery for 2 innings

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Maybe need to extend that batter’s eye all the way across. ;)

[​IMG]

Relatively clean

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That’s a “busy” CF
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old:
    [​IMG]

New:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jake Tower, Tfor3 and whiskeyred like this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chas/Diaz deserved to have a chance to succeed when Singleton/Maldy/Others have failed. Maybe, they fail, too, but I think their track record suggests they are not as likely to fail as often.

The Beard likes this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What’s the vibe in here today bros?

18. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Seriously cannot think straight and very unproductive at work today. 2019 World Series in the back of my mind too. Gotta break the cycle!

whiskeyred and ashleyem like this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I agree. The question is how you factor in when/where/how often Brantley plays and whether or not Dubon was the hot hand. You can't play all three.

20. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Please dear God Astros don't partially ruin my vacation by losing this game tonight. Please please please

Jake Tower, cwebbster and ashleyem like this.