1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jose Altuve is the best Astro ever

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

His 2019 series clincher vs yanks was the deciding factor for me.

houstonstime and Jake Tower like this.
  2. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

[​IMG]

3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I get it. I came up with all kind of reasons for hating the Yankees in the late 90s bc they kept winning.
    Look at it from their pov, they are tired of seeing astros win every year and altuve is doing this stuff every year. If he was a Yankee or a ranger, we would hate him too

rusHour likes this.
  4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

It’s nice to be on the other side of an elite closing pitcher’s breaking moment.

5. CrazyJoeDavola

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I grew up loving Bagwell and Biggio, but their failures on the biggest stage means this isn't even an argument anymore. Altuve is the greatest Astro.

7. conquistador#11

Regular season should be half of the grade. Post season is what makes legends. Altuve and Puma foreeevvverrr.

8. verse

verse Contributing Member

Puma, through no fault of his own in my recollection, is not even in the same stratosphere as Altuve. No one in Astro history is.

As a lifetime fan, I endured all the playoff losses. I know how hard it is to perform, nevermind ACTUALLY WIN in the post season. And I've seen Altuve just crush the playoffs in crucial moments. This is special. This is legendary. No player (short of Beltran in small sample sizes) can match this TITAN. It's one thing to get hot for a game or series. It's another thing to do it over a career. It's unprecedented to do it in a fashion resulting in incredible victories in crucial games (on the road, too?!?!) for the Stros in a career. That's unheard of in Astros lore. He is the unequivocal greatest. And he isn't done yet.

Sidenote: Bagwell might be the best equipped and most naturally talented, but a players legacy is tied to much more than that, including the cast of characters around him. Still, Altuve, given his situation, has risen as the greatest. No dispersions to Baggy - he is my "favorite Astro" - but Altuve is the GREATEST. By far.

vince, mikol13, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  9. verse

verse Contributing Member

Greatest season ever? 94 Bags. But he would trade that season for Altuve's career in a Trevor Hoffman greatest- closer-streak-in-a- season Padre minute. Context is everything.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I said it on the other thread. Altuve is the greatest Astro of all time. Not close. His parents did an amazing job. What a fantastic player, person, and role model. So proud to call him an Astro.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

12. AkeemTheDreem86

Nailed it.

13. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Also the fact he is a tiny 5 foot 6 and able to do what he does, makes him even more admirable. He shows all these roided up beefcakes (not looking at judge) how it's done, and what it takes to be a true winner.

14. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

Cesar Cedeno was my first "favorite stro" followed by Jose Cruz,Dickie Thon, Billy Doran, Cam, Bags, and Bigg, Puma, to Altuve...with a few others sprinkled in over the years...Fav pitchers...JR, Nolan, Scott, and Wagner. I say all of this to qualify my opinion, through all of the ups and downs, close calls and sad endings, only one of those names brought me the pride of a world series title....TWICE! The End

whiskeyred and mikol13 like this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Like I said in the beginning of this thread. He may not be the best Astro, but he is the greatest. What he does on the biggest stages is just amazing.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I've held out as long as I could... I'm ready to concede. Bagwell's numbers remain significantly better - but it's just impossible to ignore what Jose Altuve has done in the postseason.

And not only do I think he's the greatest/best Astro ever (and I do think there's a difference between greatest and best) but I now believe he's a lock for Cooperstown. It's been happening for roughly a year but you can really see the writers - who, scandal aside, LOVE the Altuve story - moving past what happened in '17. There's a growing enthusiasm returning to their coverage of him.

When someone writes the history of 21st century baseball, it is going to be flat-out impossible to not dedicate a chapter to Jose Altuve. He is the most unique and most impactful player of his era and he's the face of a full-blown dynasty.

He's going to the Hall of Fame.

#676 Hey Now!, Oct 21, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I couldn’t stand those Yankees teams but I respected Jeter, Bernie Williams, Rivera, etc. I was even sick of Michael Jordan overshadowing Dream but have no doubt he was the greatest NBA player.

I get you can’t stand the opponent, root against them and such but this stuff with Altuve has been disproven but people still keep on accusing him. While Tom Brady was tarred with Deflategate people weren’t talking about his later Super Bowl titles as tainted nor questioning whether he will get into the HOF yet we still see the same questions about Altuve.

eliefor3 likes this.
  18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Altuve needs a giant statue on Crawford street.

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I've watched the Astros since the late 1960s. Doug Rader and Lee May were my Astro Buddies as a kid. Not only is Altuve the greatest Astro, he is the best post-season second baseman ever--better than Jackie Robinson, better than Roger Hornsby, better than Tony Lazzeri.

I loved a bunch of Astros from Jimmy Wynn to Cedeno to Bagwell, but Altuve could retire today and it still wouldn't be close. He is the greatest Astro.

He's also one of the Top Two in Houston sports history--and both he and Dream were clutch and inspired clutchness in others that brought multiple championships to the city.

(There may be an argument for Yordan in a few years, but I don't think he matches the leadership/cultural status of Altuve. I think he has benefitted from it though.)

20. vince

vince Member

The reason Altuve is greatest Astro is his elite playing performance, his elite clutch hitting ability, his character, the way he sets the clubhouse tone while keeping the guys relaxed, plus his ability to be thankful and grateful - (Altuve is the anthesis to saltiness). Altuve allows the Astros players to enjoy the fun of the game.

I remember those Biggio/Bagwell Astros, and those guys albeit hall of fame talented were salty, highly critical of peers, managers, ownership, etc. Baseball players have to be able to have fun to exploit all their abilities; after all it is a very cerebral game, and relaxing the mind to let natural instinct and talent need to be optimal. I always felt that Biggio/Bagwell had folks walking around on egg shells. It wasn’t until Beltran could give a damn what Tone Biggio/Bagwell set that we saw some success in postseason baseball. Plus the following year with Roger Clemens and Andy Petite being Alpha dogs themselves dismissing the Biggio/Bagwell salty tone. Biggio/Bagwell we’re amazing and elite, but they were too uptight for their own good to a fault.