1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans hire DeMeco Ryans as Head Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jan 31, 2023.

?

Do you like the hire of DeMeco Ryans?

This poll will close on Jan 31, 2025 at 3:26 PM.
  1. YES

97.1%
  2. NO

2.9%
  1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

WR - We definitely have some work to do, but I'm pretty excited to see Tank Dell cut loose in the regular season. I'm also hopeful that Metchie is able to reach his potential, although it may take some time. With that said, this has to be the year Collins emerges or not. His size/speed combo can be deadly if he can pull it all together. Woods and Brown, add some reliable vet presence. Hutchinson is a wild card given his production in college and initial impression in training camp has been good. Of the rest, if someone emerges it will likely be to fill in for an injury or because they are a true standout on ST.

TE - I believe the Dalton Schultz signing was actually a very underrated move by Caserio. Having a proven vet TE for young QBs is a great safety valve and adds an important weapon to our arsenal. While my brain is seared by Andrew Beck's drop on 3rd down in the first PS game, I actually think he may turn out to be a versatile weapon for Slowik's offense as a hybrid FB/TE. Quitoriano has some potential as a 2-way TE, but he has to stay healthy--working under Dalton should help him grow. Brevin Jordan has some tools, but is in a make or break camp, can he contribute or not? If Jordan doesn't separate himself, Tomlin likely gets the 3rd spot because of his blocking ability and Beck fills the role Jordan could do.

RB - Pierce can be a force in this offense with better OL play. I fully believe he can reach the 1200 yard level if he stays healthy and be involved in the passing game a bit more. Devin Singletary gives us a different look and great versatility as the 2nd back--a mini thunder/lighting combo if you will. Mike Boone is a great #3 and is a sleeper signing that could pay off during the grind of a 17-game season.

QB - I believe all 3 of our QBs can be playmakers, but currently I really only have confidence in Case Keenum. CJ Stroud is the future and these next few weeks will be important for his development. These joint practices are a great opportunity for him to hopefully gain some experience in addition to the PS games. Davis Mills is 24 and on his 3rd coordinator/offense in 3 years. I still believe he has a chance to figure it out and be a productive QB. It likely won't be for the Texans, unless CJ totally flops or gets injured, but working with this staff should help his development and value. Until they prove themselves, I believe this is our weakest area on offense. While I'm hopeful that CJ does well, he'll likely have a tough start, which means the team will have a tough start.

It's probably the homer fan in me, but I'm optimistic that we'll be much better than the crap we saw the last few years.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The offensive line is sadly lacking in depth and our starting right tackle is already hurt. I sincerely hope that Collins breaks out, but I. Have serious doubts and if he doesn’t we will have one of the poorest WR corps in the league. Tank will be great, but he can’t carry that unit all year. Schultz was a good signing. The depth is just journeyman and if Schultz goes down our TE group will be glorified OTs. I suspect that our offense is going to be among the worst in the league this year, and, I am generally an optimist.

I think our defense has a chance to be among the best in the league and will keep us close in a lot of games. Predicting 6

Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm glad you summarized that wall of text!

Shark44 likes this.
  4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

It really boils down to the QB play. Hopefully, that is better.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Yeaaaaah...

Bad teams trying to turn into good teams take a couple of years to fix all of the roster holes.

This year is Year Zero.

6. redrowdy03

redrowdy03 Member

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

SWARM

Fulgore likes this.
  8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Don’t think you can lose by 50 and win COY.

Fulgore likes this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. conquistador#11

Most important part of this interview is Cap calling Stroud a film junkie, loves to study and could be one of those "quality control" guys working in the dark office. lol 2 quarterbacks in the first round. Ese trollin' Demeco.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. redrowdy03

redrowdy03 Member

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I had a crazy thought this morning. (LOL!)

If you have three names on the ballot in November 2024 and they are Joe Biden, Donald Trump and DeMeco Ryans, who would you pick? To be more specific, would it be Meco and why or why not?

14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Altuve. dont care where he was born

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Meco. That’s too easy

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  16. raining threes

Yes, you did have a crazy thought.

red5rocket and Denny varghese like this.
  17. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

In this scenario, could he still coach. If not i'm voting for someone else.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. CrazyJoeDavola

Carolina loss was 100% on the coaches. Shame on DeMeco:

• Had a bye week to prepare
    • Didn't have his team ready to play against the worst team in the league
    • Showed little trust in his rookie QB to win the game
    • Let Young have his coming out party
    Huge blackeye. Hopefully he learns from this, but Texans are NOT who we thought they were. Not even close.

houstonstime and panamamyers like this.
  19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

not sure it was a coming out party, young accounted for zero tds, just the one the refs gave them. He did nothing

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Y’all b**** about Demeco during every loss. Stfu!