1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 10/18/2023 (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 17, 2023.

1. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Wembert

Bron
    Jordan

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

3. PeppermintCandy

Pops looks like the cat that ate the canary. Sigh.

Getting Robinson, tanking to get Tim Duncan, and then successfully tanking to get Wembanyama. Great coach but extremely lucky, too.

daywalker02 and Arnel like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

At least the Rox didn't get rolled by Wemby, 3/10 for him so the defense was there.

It's the offense that became ass maybe Sengun needs a rest and Ime should let Landale get some burn, dude was pretty good.

Amel likes this.
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Jalen and Kpj had no clue how to hit Sengun with a pocket pass two years ago. Last year Jalen started to develop some chemistry and started making that pass, but only whenever he felt like it. If this preseason is any indication, Ime has Jalen hitting that pass every time it’s open now.

I mention that to say, watching Amen as starting pg tonight, we may have to start that same process with him from ground zero. He may have all the physical talent in the world, and creative court vision, but he’s lacking the willingness to make the simple play/pass right now. He’s more of a Lamelo (who notoriously struggles at the pick and roll) than cp3 in terms of passing.

6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He wasnt lucky the draft is fixed.

persian hoopa likes this.
  7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Rest for what? He needs to play though it so he gets back to game shape. Its literally what preseason is for. You guys are so quick to give up on anyone. This is an entire forum of fare weather fans lol

evo8lover and BasketballMind like this.
  8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Rockets have not looked good against the Spurs these last two games, and if you knew what to watch for you know why. Ime has the team switching everything against the Spurs and that’s what’s been killing us…and I love it. Preseason is the time to experiment, to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of your players. We know for a fact that he won’t run this defense when the games count, because he said he’s not exactly comfortable having Alpi switch. In the first game against the Spurs Alpi actually did fine on switches, but it was our wings and Jabari getting dominated by Collins. In this second game everyone got torched, our wings got punished in the post and Alpi got in foul trouble trying to defend in space. The main thing I learned is that Jabari at the 5 minutes can only work in small doses or else we will get pounded inside, and also Alpi switching is not ideal (which we already knew). Also good to see Landale looking better.

persian hoopa likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Opponents are also giving Alpe more attention because of the Baby Jokic thing.

10. Rockets4Life13

I‘m pretty sure fair weather fans are gone after 3 season of 20 wins lol

#710 Rockets4Life13, Oct 19, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    Joe Rocket likes this.
  11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Nope fair weather trolls will stick around out of spite lol

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Die hards also wish to have good weather. :D

evo8lover likes this.
  13. VoR

VoR Member

I have been waiting 4 years for someone to use Tate as a SG. Thank you, Ime.

14. VoR

VoR Member

I have been waiting 4 years for someone to use Tate as a SG. Thank you, Ime.
    He's a part of the Pop coaching tree. He probably had phone calls with him and they both discussed ways they wanted to test their teams out.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Preseason - but it's crazy to me that the consensus is the Rockets are going to have slightly more wins than the Spurs.

The only thing that would make this true would be if the Spurs rest/tank a lot. Their starting lineup just seems flat better, and like i said a few days ago, Wembanyama dominates sections of the court on defense just by being present

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It was mostly a wash, I think people thought Van Vleet and DB could bring more wins.....but I am skeptic.

Rockets had more veterans, also a few more redundant veterans.

17. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Do they though? I didn't follow the Spurs last season, but if I look at their recent depth chart it is:

PG: Sochan vs. FVV - FVV should easily be the favorite here
    SG: Vassel vs. Green - Green should easily be the favorite here
    SF: Johnson vs. Brooks - I can't call that one
    PF: Wembanyama vs. Smith - hard to decide before Wembanyama has played a regular season game, but I like the way Smith has developed
    C: Collins vs. Sengun - I would have to give that to Sengun, even though Collins has looked better this preseason.

And our bench is definetly better... Preseason isn't really an indicator of regular season success. The last two games we were without Jalen and Tari - last game also without FVV and Brooks. And there will be growing pains in Houston while they try to implement Udokas playstyle and system. There were growing pains in Boston as well.

I am not saying we will be a play in team - but I do believe we are no longer pushovers. We will be in a lot of games and win maybe 10 games more than last season. That is still not a good team, but an improved team. And then the progress of our young guys will determine, where the journey goes.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Offense starting looking better in 3rd when they actually gave Sengun the ball in the post. I don't like him playing at the 3 point line all game. We need to utilize his skill set to mix up our offense. It's not that he scores but they ran a double at him almost immediately and he got open shots for his teammates.

Joe Rocket and roslolian like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Basically it was how easy Pop could beat this roster .....I admit it is offseason but damn.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sochan and vanvleet are different styles of players, but Sochan fits well with the Spurs lineup.

I don't see too much daylight between Green and Vassell, other than Green put up more shots and Vassell is a better outside shooter.

Wembanyama v. Smith - man that is some first class copium. I don't even think Jabari Smith Sr would share your assessment.

As for Sengun v. his nemesis Shaq Collins, the last 2 games really illustrated the bear case for Alperen as a plus NBA player. Too small to play with even moderately sized centers like Collins, let alone Wemby, a liability in space, his passing generally isn't worth the price.

Ultimately the proof was on the court last night. Wembanyama is better than the entire Rockets roster, I'd trade the whole team for him. Not just when he has the ball but he is literally a cheat code for your entire team even without touching the ball.

The Rockets offensive players were cowering in fear when they entered the painted area trying to avoid becoming a highlight clip. Like you could sense them trying to track in their heads when a giant inspector gadget arm would reach out and put them on Sportscenter.

TimDuncanDonaut, Lar and HP3 like this.