1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Victor Wembanyama as a Spurs thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. i3artow i3aller

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

This is literally the only thing you're trying to argue against, but if you go back and re-read the poster mentioning Steph and Giannis, that poster never said anything about Wemby already being on Steph's and Giannis' level in terms of how good he is as an NBA player. That poster mentioned Tatum and Embiid are boring to watch but that Wemby is on par with Steph and Giannis immediately after the "boring" sentence, which I take to mean that the poster is placing Wemby on Steph's and Giannis' level in terms of watchability - as in, I would tune in to a Spurs game just to see him play. As someone would a Warriors game for Steph. As someone would a Bucks game for Giannis. Or a Mavericks game for Doncic, etc.

More power to you if you want to stand your ground and defend yourself against every single poster who disagrees with you, but it's almost like you're paranoid with thinking people assume you're a hater or that you think anyone who speaks positively of Wemby needs to stop "sucking him off" or whatever. Really weird behavior.

gunawanspurs and Outlier like this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I've said this before, but I still think this is reading too much into a very small sample size. There just haven't been many players this tall, period. We also have some examples of guys where it shouldn't have worked and it did. Who would've thought Kareem would have such a long career? Shaq, at 7'1" carrying that much weight? Mutombo played into his 40s at 7'2", as Rockets fans well know.

Most things in life are a sliding scale, not a binary. There's not some magical number of inches where you instantly are done after age 25. 7'4" is more injury prone than 7'3" is more injury prone than 7'2" and so on. That I can agree with.

But it doesn't necessarily mean he won't be productive into his 30s. I do think his extreme height increases his injury risks. But I'm not going to count on him getting hurt (nor do I wish injury on him). I'm going to operate under the assumption that we'll have to figure out how to beat him on the court.

gunawanspurs likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

You don't really bring up Giannis or Steph Curry in terms of watchability and you know it. Most superstars are watchable by default except for a few outliers like Tim Duncan and James Harden.

How the hell are Tatum and Embiid even boring to watch but Giannis and Curry are exciting? Tatum and Embiid do everything Giannis does and also shoot 3s like Curry. Makes zero sense.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I understand that thought. My thoughts are colored by Dr. Kenneth First who was an orthopedist here in Houston when Yao was here. They would interview him frequently about Yao and his injuries. He would say flatly, that the body isn’t designed to be that tall…and that even those who aren’t playing pro sports will suffer similar injuries and particularly stress fractures. He would say it’s just inevitable…and that the track record wasn’’t an anomaly, it was the product of exactly what he would expect as an orthopedist. He would also say that you could clearly see the distinction once a person was 7’4” or taller.

I’m not a doctor, but I took what he had to say pretty seriously…and the experience of watching these players having such similar career tracks just made it all the more credible to me.

roslolian and OremLK like this.
  6. Outlier

Outlier Member

His post literally went over your head because you’re so gahhdamn stupid and a hypocrite. You want to control the narrative because you can’t stand the fact people disagree with you. Yet you think you’re the one bringing “facts” to the table. Laughable and pathetic.

peleincubus and gunawanspurs like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tim Duncan was pretty watchable, you missed out..... Duncan had some watchable post moves.

TD was boring by default but his game was not that boring.

Harden was also watchable when he got hot.

gunawanspurs likes this.
  8. Juxtaposed Jolt

To the part I bolded: it's an opinion. Like, hello?

Personally, I think Embiid flops too much which decreases 'watchability' for me. And there has never ever been a time where I actively wanted to tune into a Celtics game just to see Tatum play. Boil it down to those highlight videos or clips, and it's even more apparent. If given a choice between the two duos, I would much rather spend time watching Curry and Giannis highlights than Tatum and Embiid.

But again, it's an opinion. If your opinion is that Tatum's generic jumpers and Embiid's Harden-like game of getting to the FT line vs Steph's unlimited range and Giannis' paint prowess is the same in terms of getting you hyped to watch the NBA, then more power to you.

There's no question that all 4 are superstars. But not all superstars are built the same or have similar games. And because of this, I'm not sure how you can say that most superstars are watchable by default.

gunawanspurs likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is very good, the Rockets won the coin toss with the Spurs and the Spurs got the prize....never has a coin flip screwed a team so much.

DD

gunawanspurs likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

IMO Rox also lucked out with Amen. His absolute ceiling is lower than Wemby but at least you aren't racing against the clock.

11. i3artow i3aller

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dude is a circus.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’m not going to say who. Buttttt someone on this page is a certified idiot.

gunawanspurs likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Has nothing to do with clock, all he has to do is take care of himself and not bulk up like Yao.

Grant Hill had Amen's height, nothing is guaranteed.

gunawanspurs likes this.
  15. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I’m simply stunned watching this guy play.

I’ll admit - a little bit of me wanted to hate on him hoping for the worst considering he dissed the rockets…… but my lord….. this kids skills are not human.

If his frame can hold up for a decade - he will set records and win championships. Not a single player in the NBA can impact the game in as many ways as he can. And I mean that historically.

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I dissent.

His skills, athleticism and shooting are perfectly human. The thing that helps him stand out, pun intended, is his height. Like I guess he's more coordinated than your average 7'4" guy. If he had the same agility, handle and shot as a KD just 4" taller it would be one thing but I feel like it's just his height. He's basically already been crowned ROTY. Why? Just feels like everyone wants him to be over without really letting him do it. Because he's 7'4"? Like he dunks AND IT'S THE GREATEST DUNK HE'LL BE A CHAMPION ONE DAY. Why? Because he's 7'4"?

17. TimDuncanDonaut

Victor Wemba-pass-o-rama

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

hai guyz i'm just here to say the guy who is obviously good at basketball is actually NOT good at basket-ball!

Glad we don't have him on our team!

20. jogo

jogo Member

He's going to be great and may be great this year. When he was on the court, the Rockets had to account for him at all times on defense. He has to be pulled away from the basket if we want to score inside. And then he makes two threes. There have been defenders like that in the past, just not for a while.

Look, even though SA made us look bad for two games in a row, we still won one of those and hung in there in the second game without 3 of our starters. They may be worse than us this year.

But Wemby is real. And I don't like it. I HATE the Spurs (living in Austin a lot of people like them) but I can't say he's not going to be great. And I don't care for the injury talk, that's bad juju and I don't even believe in juju. It's not just his height, he can really play. I don't think preseason is 100% effort for top picks so he may just be showing part of his bag (and scoring 20 points in 20 minutes at that). Also, Chet is going to be great, probably better than Wemby this season.

Last thing, I hate Sochan, like a lot. /rant