1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 10/16/2023 (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 14, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rudy T would not agree, who has won as a 6th seed like ever.

Don't underestimate the Heart of a Champion > The thing I have not done is to not make the Playoffs every year, I think we make the step here.

2. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member

First true road game and date I say a trap game in the preseason?!
    The guys came I thinking it was a cake walk with no wemby and the spurs punched them in the mouth. The pop special. I feel like he rested stars for years just so he could watch n with scrubs. We have a young team so we will be inconsistent. Much of the game we lost our cool to no calls and physical play. Jgreen is our only real scorer without him we will be hard pressed keeping the score moving. As normal Bill Simmons is stupid. Al-p played good defense even with a horrible shot which I think is a good sign. Jabari struggled with less space and few touches and no plays for him. Amen shot looks better but I think it will take years to be consistent. I want to see more soft touch layups but that could be awhile as well. If this was a real game I think we could have come back we flirted a few times but probably a loss but we will lose games this year. Sometimes even to teams we should beat but that’s basketball and I think we are putting it together slowly.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lol I doubt being on pace to score 80 pts before the Spurs practice squad came in is a result of Tari being out.

4. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Yinka didn't need to pass the rock. Respect the legend.

5. Entropy

Entropy Member

Found the Sengun dunk on Collins from last year that made Collins go Super-Saiyan this year. Also I think with the added muscle Sengun isn't as quick as he used to be. He used to rely on his craftiness and quickness to score, but he's lost the latter part of his game. Hopefully he can get it back.

HardenReturns, roslolian and Salvy like this.
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

Rudy T coached Hakeem not Sengun thou..... There is a pretty big gap there, if Udoka can get this team competitive he is the undisputed best coach of The Rockets all time...

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Udoka is a hard ass, some players like it, some don't ......the perfect blend would be both - Players coach who is also tough on players....

Udoka is successful but folks here cannot differentiate between short term coach and long term coach.

It is the hardest to repeat seasons, repeat championships than just winning one.

That is why the Zen Master is above Gregg Popovich, Pop never seemed to repeat.

Also Phil could control or handle Rodman much better than Pop. --- why he is the Zen.

Coach - mediator, strategist, agent, public relations - All in One.

#907 daywalker02, Oct 17, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  8. Salvy

Salvy Member

Udoka has taken one of the worst teams in basketball and has so far gone undefeated, Silas would give anything for a 3 game winning streak and defense. We are gonna have to wait for the remainder of the season to put Udoka up against Pop and and Phil....

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Cmon the gap between Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon and Alperen Sengun is not THAT big is it?

[​IMG]

10. Salvy

Salvy Member

6'8 Sengun no, they are very close... 7'1 Sengun has regressed and is nowhere near Hakeem...

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No it isn't they are relatively close in abilities now......of course Hakeem is 61, so......

DD

Verbal Christ and roslolian like this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Phil Jackson works with superstars, he can handle lots of egos and weir personalities. Popovich can elevate anybody as long as they buy into the system.

Popovich won with less talent so he is better in my eyes. PJ coached some of the best players in history while Pops really only had Admiral, TD and young Kawhi. Nobody ever really saw Parker and Gino as superstars.

HardenReturns likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Udoka is the best among newcomers ....pretty sure that is accurate, but to go against the heavy hitters and icons, there has to be a long list of body of work.....

Pretty much why people respect this profession... one torch is passed on to the next one but after decades of coaching.

Salvy likes this.
  14. Salvy

Salvy Member

You know what, I agree... You are right, Its too early to put Udoka up against the best coaches of all time...

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Silas misunderstood what coaching is all about, he thought he could come in and do the assistant coach job and it will be more than okay.

He can only do 1 thing and that is smiling and talk smack with NBA personnels.

Like a director you have to understand different departments and do an all round job.

16. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Wait, didn’t we win this one?

17. Salvy

Salvy Member

Silas was really good at challenges and timeouts thou...

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  18. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

If Kobe is alive, ask him his opinion on Ginobili. He also had Derozan.

19. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member

we “won” but were down 10-15 when players who will get regular season playing time went out. We stole a win with the summer league all stars

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Prime Hakeem vs Sengun right now? Yea, pretty big.
    Third year Hakeem vs third year (Now) Sengun? Somewhat smaller.