1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Rangers vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2023.

1. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Member

Yordan flu game

raj87, TexasTofu and MSBRockets like this.
  2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

You gave a 5 AB time frame for Brantley which is ridiculous. Maybe he got lucky in those ABs and should be 0-5. Maybe he got unlucky and should be 5-5. It doesn't matter 5 ABs are not enough of a sample to even consider.

Both Dubon and Chas have been better vs lefties over any reasonable sample you wish to choose.

As for Diaz not only has he played extremely little the past 3 weeks, to the point that he is not good, but he has never hit lefties over any reasonable sample. Even back to his minor league time.

Maldy is actually very good vs lefties including recently.

I am all for Diaz and Brantley being primary starters, but Maldy and Dubon were the right choices last night.

To be clear - if Dusty had started them because of your logic or just because they are the better overall offensive players I would be fine with that, but I see no issue with the choice he made based on overall performance and data available.

#1222 IdStrosfan, Oct 16, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Why did you post this?

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

The roid shot.

Rock Block likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

or not true, but surface level stats haven't had a big enough sample size to reflect the improvement that the expected stats show may have already happened.

It could go either way, but I'd go with Diaz going forward is not a bad hitter against LHPs (though with uncertainty).

The following has no statistical backing that I am aware, and I am just going on feel so please disregard if you disagree. I'd be more concerned with he's been used sparingly lately. Diaz seems to me to be a hitter that doesn't play well cold whether it be as a DH, PH, etc. I'd worry it may take him a game or two to get back in the groove. As I said this is a feel thing, but I've always felt hitting is really tough even under ideal conditions.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Story of the game:

Astros had 3 hits in one inning - 0 runs
    Rangers get 2 hits in one inning (and advance an extra base on both) - 1 run

Throw-in Altuve's stupidity, Rangers get a lucky win.

Hopefully the luck is more even today (not even necessarily Astros advantage) and Houston evens the series 1-1.

Jake Tower likes this.
  7. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

So do the Astros win today or will this be 2018?

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

2018 resembles the Rangers this year so I hope it works out that way. Astros were undefeated in the 2018 postseason through game 1 of the ALCS; then lost 4 straight games. Rangers are undefeated in the 2023 postseason through game 1 of the ALCS; then...

TexasTofu, Tomstro and Radricky like this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think you hit on it. Diaz has been wasted by playing Maldy so much. At this point in his career he appears to be JAG if not playing regularly and not involved throughout the game.

He may (hopefully) mature beyond this but now is not the time to let him find his swing. That time is over.

For better or worse, Dusty has made Maldy catching every game a requirement at least the next 3 games. Maybe if they go up 3-1 then they can risk starting him, but I think it's just like Meyers, or Hunter Brown

Dusty's terrible mismanagement has basically made him unplayable until next season unless they are willing to let him shake off the rust in vital game situations.

lnchan likes this.
  10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

ehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

11. Radricky

Radricky Member

I was told we would thank him.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say Maldy is pretty unplayable against RHPs that it would be best just to play Diaz against RHPs going forward knowing that Diaz struggling is still probably as good if not better against RHPs.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  13. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

Not sure what the mood is around here but its ONE game... can't get too high and definitely get too low. A lot of people were freaking out here after what happened in WS Game 3 and we all know the results.

This game could have gone either way but the series is far from over. We, as Houston fans, know this. Again, we have been there, done that.

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Our pets heads are falling off and you come in here with this nonsense?
    Nothing will ever be right in the world again until we score at least one run. Until then- it's time to PANIC. That's what I'm doing here at work. Full on panic. That's the mood. and you can't tell me what to do, you're not my real dad.

CheezeyBoy22, Radricky and solid like this.
  15. solid

solid Contributing Member

This is really funny!

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. Radricky

Radricky Member

17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I still want Dusty gone regardless of this one game.

18. Elienator

Elienator Member

Because you said they needed 2 wins against Eovaldi / Montgomery. Unless you think those guys are pitching 5 games, they only need 1 win against them.

19. Yordan The Great

Silver lining.

We are 3 losses from seeing the last of Dusty Baker.

IBTL likes this.
  20. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Eovaldi/Montgomery wasn't the only thing in that short, one-sentence post.

If you weren't so quick to correct/argue, you would have understood.