1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

~{ James Harden's Philadelphia 76ers }~

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ThatBoyNick, Feb 10, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

What does this accomplish lol?

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, since Morey is a liar, is Harden supposed to believe that? :D

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

It's funny how they leak a lot of unnecessary bullshit. Someone has to feel superior. They're going to make Harden pay for the wall

ROCKSS, B-Bob and Corpusfan like this.
  5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Someone clear this doubt up for me... From what I understand, Harden expected Morey to sign him to a contract that the CBA does not allow. Is that correct?

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Not to my understanding...

Harden was leaving Philly.
    He exercises his player option on the understanding Morey would trade him (to X destination)
    Morey then asked for more
    Morey doesn't blink on these things

This is a lose/lose scenario.

I don't understand it from either perspective - Morey not willing to get screwed over by a player, but at the same time leaving his team without whatever resources he might get back in a trade. It appears his focus is on using cap space in the off-season to acquire 2 max FAs, and he won't compromise that. So is willing to lose this season if required.

B-Bob and JumpMan like this.
  7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Here's how I understood it, here's the timeline. After the playoffs, the 76ers went radio silent on Harden insisting they will start negotiations after free agency begins.

This is actually not the norm, most teams will give the players some indications on free agency prior to the July 1 date. For example Harden's camp probably found out during this period that the Rockets no longer wanted to give him the long term max that he wanted.

I think after finding out Rockets are longer an option, Harden tried to reach out to Morey again, but only to get stonewalled further, with the 6ers insisting to negotiate after July 1.

Here's the thing to note, the Opt in date is BEFORE July 1, which means if Harden waited for July 1, he would lose the chance to opt into his contract.

I suspect this is when Harden got desperate and burned all bridge with Morey. If he waited for July 1, he will have no choice but accept a low ball offer from the 76ers because he has no other options. And because Morey ghosted him, he felt betrayed. So instead he said f it and opted into his last year basically ****ing over Morey's plan.

JumpMan and Easy like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think it all started with Harden's yet another disappointing playoffs performance. His stock dropped like a stone. Teams no longer felt that he was worth the long term max. If Harden had shown that he was still a top 10 player in the playoffs, it would have been worth giving him a full max even though the last two years would probably be overpaying. But after the playoffs, there's no market (except maybe the Rockets LOL).

When the Rockets pulled out and Morey ate his promise to Harden (assuming a wink wink promise was done), Harden had no other option but take the opt-in money and make Morey look as bad as he could. I think giving Morey a short list of one team to trade to is not because that's the only team he wants to play for. It is designed to make it difficult, creating a situation for the other team to lowball Morey, basically trying to weaken Morey's team as much as he could. Morey knows what Harden is doing and refuses to cave.

Harden has no leverage other than the threat of ruining the Sixers' season. But Morey knows that the season is going to be ruined if he can't get enough from the Clippers to contend in the East. When Harden is off the book next year, Morey can use the room to reload. Maybe not as good as Harden but he's not going to get anyone better than the prime Harden anyway.

9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

They don't. Harden wants them.

roslolian likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Clippers Want To Trade For James Harden But Won't Increase Offer

Ahead of the Philadelphia 76ers first preseason game, ESPN NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski said that a James Harden trade remains on the table. The LA Clippers would like to acquire Harden "sooner, rather than later" per Wojnarowski.

However, LA sees no reason to increase their offer to get to Harden, because they believe they are the only team bidding for the veteran guard. The Clippers have been working on three-team possibilities. In those scenarios, some of their veteran players would land with a third team, with draft assets being routed to Philadelphia.

Wojnarowski also said that the Sixers may keep Harden into the season. Some in Philadelphia believe that if he's committed to playing, he's better than anyone the team could acquire in a trade. The 76ers intend to remain a title contender this season, with or without Harden.

roslolian likes this.
  11. icewill36

icewill36 Member

I hope he stays in Philly, but I also would be interested in seeing him on the clippers. I think that team would be much better than people realize.

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think that would be good for Harden. Putting him on the bench and taking away the one thing he loves, which is basketball. Make him sit and watch!

Thats the best way to treat a child.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

... in the regular season.

roslolian, ROCKSS and daywalker02 like this.
  14. jayland

jayland Member

Odds are either Kawhi or PG13 will be injured and in street clothes during the playoffs. Maybe even both.

15. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Clippers are better without him

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

He'd be perfect on the clippers. He can play all regular season to get them in the playoffs. So they can rest Kawhi to prevent him from being injured and then Kawhi would dominate the playoffs.

BallSoHarden and Rocket River like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. i3artow i3aller