1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Falcons

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 3, 2023.

1. Fantasma Negro

Growing pains game, gotta execute in the redzone and score touchdowns instead of field goals. Even when we lose its nice to see the bright spots in C.J's development. Good to see Schultz making an impact in the receiving game with Dell out, hopefully that continues when Dell returns. Damian Pierce is showing why he was a late round draft selection, I hope there's a trade out there to rectify the putrid rb room but its becoming clearer every snap that the first or second selection of the draft next year will be for a running back

2. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My age reminds me of it every day.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's easier to manage the clock when you need a FG; needing a touchdown - with seven minutes to play - you can't milk the clock as easily. But... it was a 5+-minute drive in which they ran way more than they passed (7 runs; 4 passes) - that's not really consistent with a "two minute offense pace." The 3-yard loss just before the two-minute warning - on a run - really hurt them, forcing a 3rd-and-long in which they had to pass because, again, they needed 6 and not 3.

This team might not be there yet - but your defense (eventually) has to stop Desmond Riddler with game on the line.

Red.Glare, Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can use the run to set up the pass, or you can use the pass to set up the run - the Texans are too damned vanilla right now.....they don't seem to audible at all.

Stroud needs that freedom when there are 8 or 9 in the box, he needs to be able to change the play and throw it.

DD

5. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

Agree with the first half of this although I am not as nearly down on the running game as you. I would love a RB breakdown similar to what you see a lot of guys doing on the tube with QB play before I came up with an opinion though. Ridder throwing for his first 300yrd game and the Texans couldn't do anything in the redone, especially after short fields from fumbles... I think that this game came down to the Texans being outcoached - hurts saying that considering Arthur Smith has such a dumb face (yes, that matters!)

I would personally love for a slow, multi angle replay of that Ridder TD/fumble run in the first... I was quite surprised the NFL didn't take a longer look at it considering Stroud's TD run was called back last week for what I would call less clear, overturn-able, evidence...

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Clint is old school so I get it, but the players today are different, they don't hate the other guys just because there on a different team. The one positive I took away from the game was the Texans didn't give up, they fought till the end and that's what culture is about. There are going to be ebbs and flows to this new team, we have injuries at key positions and were still rebuilding. I will take this over the last 5 years, its a process and there will be high1s and low`s............sometimes the sports radio shows are so over reactive, last week they were going to the playoff`s, today we suck, come on man. This is going to take some time but I trust the guys making the decisions, will they make mistakes, hell yea but as long as they learn from them I am good........we get to root for them after all the BS we have endured

7. conquistador#11

I've been about the kit swap since when Maradona made it cool then Arian Foster brought it to the NFL
    but I think this is what old skool Clint saw:

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Interesting Texans stat. They have now loss 26 straight games when underdogs to a nfc team.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

They were college teammates at Florida, so I wouldn't penalize guys for remaining friends as pros.

Rudyc281, ROCKSS and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

BTW three consecutive games without allowing a sack

11. Buck Turgidson

Having a non-dumbass at QB is certainly helping in that regard.

How many times did we watch Mills run out of bounds 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage instead of just throwing the ball away?

ROCKSS, DonnyMost and red5rocket like this.
  12. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

did CJ Stroud look bad? No? okay moving on then. Wasn't expecting a playoff berth this season, and the defense will be much better when healthy + another Meco draft

13. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Meco draft plus a ton of cap room. The team is really competing with a pretty large talent deficit compared to most other teams because we have so much dead cap.

everyday eddie and Scarface281 like this.
  14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I felt better about this loss than most wins in the later years of the BOB, Culley and Lovie eras.

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Non-conference, road losses are about the most digestible losses that exist in the NFL. Win your divisional home games to have yourself a solid foundation of a season.

17. Fantasma Negro

conquistador#11 likes this.
  18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said earlier, I've seen this script 5 - 6 yrs ago when we had Watson. Good young QB play well, bring team back in late game situations, only to lose in the end!

They have to get some serious players between this yr and next! Before his Rookie contract is up

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said earlier, I've seen this script 5 - 6 yrs ago when we had Watson. Good young QB plays well, bring team back in late game situations, only to lose in the end!

They have to get some serious players between this yr and next! Before his Rookie contract is up

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watson was notorious for that too. Remember his first full year when he had like 62 sacks? He already had a few games experience from the previous season too. Stroud has learned much quicker for sure in getting rid of that ball to avoid sacks.