1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. arrested for domestic violence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 11, 2023.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

100% Working with the league? Is there one shred of proof of that?

As for getting out of paying his guarenteed money, do you want to guess what the first step they would have to take in order to terminate his contract? They would have to waive him!

The league doesn't initiate the termination of a contract. The team has to waive him and then petition for termination of the contract.

The tweet that you posted is referring to the rule about a player not being disciplined by both his team and league for the same offense. For the 1000th time, waiving a player is NOT discipline/punishment.
    Look at the Primo situation. He was waived by SA and suspended by the league. If waiving were punishment, then that would have violated the rule cited in your post. It didn't because waiving a player isn't a punishment or discipline.

#2901 aelliott, Oct 1, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
    AroundTheWorld and SamFisher like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This time I would actually welcome a rule bending by the league...... hopefully to the chagrin of said Kevin Porter jr.

3. aelliott

There was no bending of the rules. If a team becomes unstable or uinsolvent, then the league takes over the team. That's in the rules.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you watch other basketball leagues, soccer, other sports, there is not a rule like that at all.

That is crazy what Americans come up with.

If you compare, you would realize how arbitrary some of those rules are........

1. If your business is insolvent, you file for bankruptcy.......and shut it down.
    2. I can understand the league helping it financially with a boost but taking over as owner is something that just did not sit ethically right with me. Sorry, oh but not sorry.
    3. The other problem is Tanking is literally the opposite of what is being defined as Fairness.

#2904 daywalker02, Oct 1, 2023
  5. aelliott

Different leagues do things differently. George Shin couldn't financially continue to run the Pelicans so the league purchased the team and operated it while they looked for a new owner. The NBA rakes in a gazillion dollars each year so it's difficult to argue with how they operate. You spend a whole lot of time on an NBA message board so it must be a pretty good product.

6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I mean you can sue anyone you just wont win and you might get into trouble for trying when you know you dont have a case.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not all of us are in this thread to judge the Rockets’ inaction. I just want to correct the poor journalism being quoted in this thread, so we can move on with less muddled conversation.

Woj and Feigen are contradicting each other. They can’t both be right. But they can both be wrong.

As for credibility, here is Bobby Marks, an actual CBA professional saying, ”They can waive him if they want.”

Here is Shams also briefly mentioning “if he’s waived right now”, as an option, at the tail end of this

Here is Zach Lowe

#2907 heypartner, Oct 1, 2023
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Back to the topic, I do think they need to revamp the whole Waiving problem.......

A crime is a crime and the Rockets should have a chance to veto the contract but the Rockets should be punished with a fine or some kind of suspension as well.

There should be a new rule to Waiving that you cannot waive anyone arbitrarily, that you should contact the NBPA or the league first about waiving someone.....

Just a rule that is fair to the employee, a step closer to fairness.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not really, I enjoy being on Clutchfans more, I have subscribed in the past. Yes, I enjoy it.

The NBA is just a byproduct for me......to be here.

You mistake that every guy is enjoying the NBA the same way, that is just not the truth.

Message boarding is like a drug, like Oxy Contin, admittedly.

10. aelliott

So if a team is offered an amazing 2 for 1 trade, they can't do it because they can't free up a roster spot for the extra incoming player? There is zero chance of a rule change like that will ever happen.

Realize that all of the current rules were jointly negotiated and agreed to by both the league and players association.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Woj said on one tweet. Everybody else who disagrees with that (including knowledgeable people giving totally reasonable explanations) must be wrong.

DD

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was just toying with that specific one. Ah man, I deserve a laugh.

BTW Media Day, do not forget it, mang.

#2912 daywalker02, Oct 1, 2023
    Joe Rocket likes this.
  13. heypartner

Now you’re talking valid reasons for inaction. This is why I asked you this afternoon if you would like to discuss valid reasons for the Rockets inaction.

Bobby Marks covers most of these reasons, but you said you didn’t want to discuss them …

“Nope an utter waste of time. Gonna let this go to whatever natural conclusion,

DD”​

Seems like you are mainly focused on defending the Rockets inaction (which is fine). But we can do that without using the bad info being fed to Woj and Feigen.

Do you want to discuss the valid money reason in your quote, and other reasons Marks provides and Bima agrees with?
    We’ve been through this. When the CBA lists disciplinary actions, waiving is not included. That’s were the confusion is coming from.

#2913 heypartner, Oct 1, 2023
  14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Here's a total random guy on Twitter who says "clear violation of CBA" - great thanks DD johnny Cochran for the legal advice. Lol GTFO with that stuff man.

What provision of the CBA - or the standard player contract - or the League bylaws - is it @DaDakota ?

All the relevant sections are posted here

Which one did Woj say it is?

Thanks in advance.

Nook and Joe Rocket like this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ok Sam great, you are a random guy on the internet too, so am I?

So is every person in this thread.

The Rocks inaction is pissing some of you off, I get it......let it rain - b**** away, been there bought the t-shirt.

The provision that says you can't punish them for being arrested? Maybe? And please don't go through the mental gymnastics it would take to say we can waive him for whatever, doesn't make it a punishment - thus the lawsuit...as clearly it would be a punishment.

But again whatever - the Rox will do what the Rox believe is right - doesn't make them right, but this whining won't change anything, nor will any of you leave over it...and will more than likely forget it once the preseason starts.

This is the definition of Sound and Fury signifying nothing - the DV will be addressed he is gone from the team, the method is TBD.

DD

#2916 DaDakota, Oct 1, 2023
  17. heypartner

It isn’t mental gymnastics, because the CBA defines the term “discipline”, and waiving a player is not in the list. Of course, a legal document would protect itself from mental gymnastics by defining words.

And besides, you’re just ignoring that Bobby Marks explanation I posted.

Whatever,,,there are valid reasons for Rockets inaction. I don’t know why you’re so hung up on something that Marks dismissed.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mental gynmastics.

If the team waived him after all he has been to the team while charges are pending it would be considered punishment by almost any jury ever assembled, and that is why I am saying the league is working with the Rox and the Union very carefully to avoid that - and to get it right, we just need to be patient.

Sure you can say...by the letter of the law it is not punishment, but would a court see it that way? Or an arbiter? Or a jury?

IMHO, this is why it is taking so long, because they are just making ultra sure they can't be sued.....

DD

19. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

That is a myth that you can sue anyone for anything. You can file a motion but a judge will just dismiss it if you don’t have standing or some sort of actual case.

AroundTheWorld and Moe like this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wow. Tari is the anti-KPJ. Someone to root for. Powerful message.

groovemachine and Dobbizzle like this.