1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I wanted Anderson and we got both CJ and him. I'm good. I had thought it would take another year to turn the corner. But I did not think we'd be in position to get Caleb anyway. Unlike some, I still like the Trade up for Anderson. I also think both the pick we gave up and the Cleveland pick we still have will both be middle third picks next year. Many cannot get past last year's draft order for valuation purposes.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Impressive!

I like that Watson didn't even make the top 15, even with one of the best defenses and offensive lines in the league.

Rudyc281, whag00 and raining threes like this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont know about all that. Mills had to deal with new coach, new OC and similar flux around him the same way CJ Stroud is dealing with it. If you are saying that DeMeco Ryans is a better coach than David Culley I would agree. If you are saying he's better than Lovie Smith -- TBD. Mills had all the same "weapons" sans Tank Dell and Robert Woods. Mills even had a much more highly touted WR in Brandin Cooks and an OL that wasnt decimated by injuries this early into a season.

CJ Stroud is just a better quarterback I think its really that simple.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

When you start making excuses as to why someone is playing better than someone else.

I remember when Texans fans were making the same excuses for Deshaun Watson in comparison to Pat Mahomes.

The other guy was just better.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://andscape.com/features/houston-texans-quarterback-c-j-stroud-is-off-to-a-sizzling-start/

Only three games into his pro career, Houston Texans quarterback C.J. Stroud has performed as if he’s been in the NFL for a minute now.

Off to a great start, the poised-beyond-his experience rookie passer is coming off of his first victory, and Stroud has appeared as steady off the field as he has on it. Texans officials are downright giddy about the player whom they selected second overall in the 2023 NFL draft, and they’re confident Stroud will be the cornerstone of the team’s long-awaited turnaround.

Quincy Avery saw it coming.

Before the season, the renowned quarterback coach, who first worked with Stroud when Stroud was a teenager, expressed confidence that the former Ohio State star possessed the tools that would enable him to deliver from the start for Houston. For Avery, the future was a clear as the tight spiral on Stroud’s deep balls.

“C.J. has started about as well as you could start as a rookie quarterback, especially with the abundance of those throws that [Houston’s coaching staff] is asking him to make early on in the season,” Avery said this week in a phone interview with Andscape. Despite Stroud’s inexperience, “he’s probably playing at a higher level than most [NFL] quarterbacks at any time of their careers.”

“C.J. has been great with the football … but you also see how great he’s been out there leading that team and putting so much on himself. The leadership is a big part of it and guys [Stroud’s teammates] see that. You’re looking at a team that really just doesn’t have a lot of talent right now. But C.J. isn’t worrying about that. He’s doing everything he can … and he’s making them look good.”

He first noticed Stroud’s potential while observing the future NFL first-round draft pick during a camp for elite high school quarterbacks. Then only 17, Stroud stood out among the best of the best, Avery said, largely because of his determination to succeed.

“C.J. is just so diligent in his work ethic,” said Avery, who has tutored Pro Bowl passers Jalen Hurts, Geno Smith and Deshaun Watson, among others. “There are just very few people who work as hard as C.J., and you really saw it when he was 17. When he came into [the quarterback camp], nobody really looked at him like, ‘Oh, man, this guy is gonna be superspecial.’ He came into the situation where we’re [the camp coaches] all like, ‘He might be OK.’ Then, he absolutely dominated. And every quarterback was there. Guys you see playing in the league now, like Bryce Young.

“Just think of all the guys we saw drafted this year … they were all there. And C.J. just took over. Actually, he was on the same [camp] team with Bryce [Young]. So we really didn’t anticipate C.J. playing that much. He ended up playing the whole time because he was playing so well. He attacked the day, he attacked every opportunity, and he took full advantage of everything, which is exactly what he has done since then. At Ohio State, C.J. did the same thing. He just keeps attacking. Now that he’s in the NFL, he’s just continued that. When someone prepares as hard as C.J. does, is just so diligent in their work ethic, that’s when you see the fruits of that labor. We’re seeing it early on with him.”

On offense, the Texans have made no secret on whom they’re leaning. In Stroud’s first three starts, he attempted 30, 47 and 44 passes, respectively.

“He’s approaching like 50 passes in games, and not is just a ‘dink-and-dunk’ offense,” Avery said. “He’s pushing the ball down field. He’s creating at the second level [against opposing defenses]. He’s moving effectively in the pocket.

“These were all things that some people said he might not be able to do at the next level [while he was in college]. But he’s doing all of it. He’s doing all of that and still being able to make the throws. But anyone who really knows C.J. would never have doubted he could do it.”

Around the NFL these days, good luck finding anyone who would express doubts about Stroud’s performance. The early returns have simply been that good.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Was going to read that and then realized it's Quincy Avery propaganda. No thanks.

Rudyc281, whag00 and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He is just trying to get a client is all.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Comparing "our guy" to the NFL at large is part of fanaticism I think. If everyone is being objective to football and erasing the noise around the person then Watson was a top QB in the NFL while a Houston Texan. Houston just always had SOMETHING going on to marr the forecast and that usually started with Bill Obrien at the helm and came to a crashing conclusion with Watson becoming a sexual predator at the same time. Mahomes is the best QB in football right now, but if you dissect it he also had a ton of things working in his favor to compliment his awesome ability.

I was just trying to do an internal comp between Davis Mills and CJ Stroud and what my subjective eye is able to spot as strengths and weaknesses between them. CJ has had one of the best 3 game starts in NFL history and that is something to be proud of, but he still has a long ways to go and the way he conducts himself on/off the field plus the poise and confidence that he plays with gives me as a fan more confidence that he can be the guy to take this franchise higher than any other QB who has come through here.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. F that piece of ****

Rudyc281, whag00, ROXRAN and 2 others like this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. redrowdy03

redrowdy03 Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Qan

Qan Member

Hope Stroud has a great game and Texans win.

16. conquistador#11

More fancy stats observations, 16 play action passes for 114 yards. That's more Play action than our sister affiliated teams (Mia-SF). 11 RPOs resulting in 100 passing yards (top 7).
    Offense is evolving. Still waiting for the pistol, break it out vs the Panthers.
    The ad placement in this vid is as elite as Stroud's ball placement. The last segment of the video hits hard. Lovie getting rid of you know who.

Drew Brees, Warren Moon, Burrow, Dr. Strange with his ability to open portals. Goff on juice. Heard them all.

#2396 conquistador#11, Sep 30, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
    Rudyc281 and 9baller like this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I don't think that was Baseball Gods.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Qan

Qan Member

No more videos for me...need new highlights after tomorrow's game. Hopefully good ones again!

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

13:39, 14:15, and 15:00 till the end felt like they were spoken out of my brains diary.