1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Dusty has made it clear that Chas and Diaz have not earned starter playing time in his view. As soon as he got Brantley, Brantley was playing nearly every game against a RHP despite Brantley having issues with soreness all year trying to recover. Dubon has become the starting CF most of the time. Dusty, IMO, does not have a lack of urgency problem. It appears Dusty is trying his hardest to win the way he thinks one is supposed to win.

If anyone has a lack of urgency problem, it is Crane and/or Brown. If what Dusty is doing is perceived to be wrong, it is their job to fix it as Dusty is just doing what he thinks is best.

joshuaao, Screaming Fist, Kim and 5 others like this.
  2. SuraGotMadHops

I am in a weird place where I would rather miss the playoffs entirely than barely make it and get smoked by the Rangers in the ALDS, who are playing way better ball (assuming we even survive the WC round). Losing to the Rangers to end our reign would be unbearable.

grummett, mikol13 and jim1961 like this.
  3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Dusty attempting to squeeze every single out from his SP when it's obvious they don't have it anymore killed us in so many games. This is an re-occurring problem on every team he has managed. Javier, Brown, France..it's obvious they were fatigued half way through the season so why try to push them even further in their outings? He does this when he have a completely rested bull-pen. Several times it resulted it in the other team coming back and forcing us to use our best arms anyway. He gets greedy and has a reactive rather pro-active approach which stubbornly he never changes.
    Their was also many 1-2 run losses where Maldy came up to bat in the 7th, 8th inning where Dusty refused to pinch hit him. All this crap adds up.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep, I'd say these things also fall under how Dusty thinks a team wins. Dusty doesn't change because Dusty thinks what he is doing is the right way to win.

Radricky, Wulaw Horn and tehG l i d e like this.
  5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

And how many times does he need to fired for doing it that way before he learns?

Until people stop hiring him despite that history.

tehG l i d e likes this.
  6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Wasn't their a quote a few weeks ago right after Royals beat us 1-2 in that road series where Dusty said he had no idea the Royals had been playing better ball lately? Almost as if we didn't do anything scouting on them beforehand or even watched footage of any of their recent games? Did the entire analytics department leave with Click? It feel like we've been going into every series wholly unprepared. Dusty with free reign thinks following his "gut" is good enough I guess.

#4126 tehG l i d e, Sep 25, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
    Radricky and Kim like this.
  7. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

This is why I have never thought he is a good manager. He is considered good because of the years he has. His coaching record is based on longevity not quality.

He is a BS artist. He knows what to say, to whom, and when and he gets hired. Yet he never lives up to the reputation that he somehow has crafted. Yet he keeps getting hired. It is like he somehow convinces owners to not look at his record (especially playoff record). I am sure he is a nice guy and people want to hang around him and hear all of his stories, but that shouldn't be the reason you get hired. Owners, do some frigin research on him for a change.

Radricky, Kim, tehG l i d e and 2 others like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TOR/TOR202306080.shtml

9. Buck Turgidson

They have definitely not been invited into Dusty's Big Boy facebook group

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I only wish the Astros pulled this crap earlier in the season before the trade deadline. They would have two more prospects in the minors that could be brought up over the next few years.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I wonder what Dusty's Facebook is like....

His Facebook groups:
    Big Boy
    Career OPS under 0.700, but loving them
    Starting Pitchers who Throw 6+

He gets annoyed with ads for wine, toothpicks, pain relief medicine, and arm surgeries.

He does have a cool group of friends.

Dusty's block list is obviously
    Chas
    Meyers
    Diaz
    Meyers
    Kessinger
    Chandler
    Chas's Brother

12. Radricky

Radricky Member

Don't forget the group he is an admin of.
    Top banana pudding locations in America

13. Buck Turgidson

BackInTheDayDotCom just spams the hell out of him.

#4133 Buck Turgidson, Sep 25, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
    Radricky and Joe Joe like this.
  14. Screaming Fist

I have a feeling Dusty has had Chas's brother banned from MMP. You can probably find his photo at the gates along with other personas non gratas.

15. Buck Turgidson

Next to a cancelled check?

Screaming Fist likes this.
  16. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Dusty is still on MySpace

cmlmel77, Bregatron and Radricky like this.
  17. Radricky

Radricky Member

I chuckled out loud.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros have 3 guys easily better hitters than two of their Top 10 that didn't make the Top 10 with Yainer Diaz needing a good game to be able to pass those 2 in wRC+.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.