1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Because for certain posters, it’s not “opinion” anymore. It’s blind bias.

mario_v, cbass and red5rocket like this.
  2. raining threes

Yep, and this is one of the main reasons I would've waited to draft a QB.

Dont like the person or the people he's got representing him. Gotta know people.

houston19519 likes this.
  3. raining threes

What do you consider to be hollow stats? I would say putting up stats when you're 3 TD's behind to be hollow stats. That seems reasonable. IMHO

4. raining threes

They used to be the 3rd most profitable franchise.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. houston19519

houston19519 Member

The score was 31-20 with 2:44 when Fairbarin was attempting a FG that would have cut the score to a one score game if he made it. At 1:07 when the Texans had the ball I’ll give you garbage stats then.. anything before they were in the game.. even with the deficit.

Hollow stats is just a strange term to use in the first place in my opinion.. but you don’t like Cj so it makes sense.

7. houston19519

houston19519 Member

How don’t you like the person? I get his representation but why don’t you like Cj the person? The way he talks? He mentioning his faith? By all accounts it just seem you don’t like him is because of his agent. He has shown nothing for you not to like Cj the person.

8. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

I’ve watched Drake Maye play, he is not that dude. He is overrated.

Two Sandwiches and noscrusir like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Cant teach poise as CJ is handling the disarray around him like a veteran already. Accuracy is awesome and he seems to understand what he's seeing at the LOS. I need him to be more decisive in terms of picking up first downs with his legs when its 3rd and medium/short. It will come with more experience, but is pretty safe to say that CJ wont be an athletic freak out there and thats ok. He is a very good quarterback and when the OL gives him more time I think you will see him shine even more.

10. King713

King713 Member

That definitely might be part of it. My theory is these dudes took the Deshaun rejection hard and so they fell in love with the rebound QB.

houston19519 and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. King713

King713 Member

Yep. You can already tell the dudes on here who ain’t about sh*t in real life so this is all they have. They want to be right so bad because they get clowned daily in reality.

mario_v, cbass and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  12. TheJet

TheJet Member

Still a long way to go but the kid is showing promise. He had a few sacks he could have avoided but at least he threw the ball away and had at least one blitz beating throw (better than last week). I was lukewarm about the pick and the QB draft class overall but considering we're down to 3rd string O-line and little to no running game I'm pretty happy with CJ's performance.

I get that some folks didn't want him, or don't like him or his agent. Everyone is entitled to their $.02. What I don't understand is why some people (not just on this forum) place such huge amounts of weight on prospects and high draft picks. Yes, they're valuable commodities. But despite the expert opinions nothing is a sure thing. The actual picks are just educated guesses. How many highly hyped picks have flamed out in the NFL, in particular QBs? Way more than the ones that live up to the hype. There are busts in every draft. So, if a pick is always going to be a risk why are they valued like can't miss, sure things? If you're betting the ponies and have $500 of winnings in front of you, do you want to bet it all on a few races with long odds, or do you want to take the money in hand?

If Stroud turns out to be a better than average QB and Anderson turns into a game wrecker I'd take that all day, over rolling the dice on yet another guess.

DasouthDakota and Two Sandwiches like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.espn.com/blog/houston-t...s-rookie-qb-cj-stroud-historic-day-for-texans

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The possibilities are encouraging when you think what he and the team are capable with an NFL level OLINE with both the protection and running game. I mean even just average from both could be amazing!

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

What gets me is that some on this board want to be critical of CJ because he’s not quite perfect yet. I watch other teams with quality veteran QB’s and I’m seeing mistakes by those QB’s. Interceptions, fumbles, bad throws etc etc. No QB is flawless. The greatest QB’s of all time will make mistakes. CJ has played two entire NFL games. He will make mistakes, just like all other QB’s, but that doesn’t mean he’s a bad QB or that we shouldn’t have drafted him.

After two games CJ looks very good. But it’s a long season and there will be ups and downs. He will learn from his mistakes and get better. Right now, I am concerned about a number of positions on this team, but QB is not one of them.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im ecstatic we didnt end up with Bryce Young. He looks overmatched and underprepared so far. CJ looks like he belongs.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I hope that all the guys do well.

They all took a bunch of criticism in the draft.

All 3 also seem like stand up guys.

I can't say the same about someone like Caleb Williams who doesn't come off as a mature person.

I think Houston got lucky that Indy defender whiffed on that interception. It may end up being the biggest play for both franchises in years. And all in a positive way.

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I made it clear I wanted CJ over anyone in the draft. Hopefully, I'm right on this.

Bryce still has time, though. It's still early for him as well. He's played one game. Even though he didn't look good (I actually didn't watch), I think he is really smart and a capable QB in this league. Injuries because of his size is what I'm thinking will be his downfall. Not talent.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He is absolutely that dude. Dude is carrying that team and making plays only the elite can make