1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well all we can hope is that CJ doesn't turn into the ego maniac greaseball Watson was. For me, a guy starting out better as a rookie, and not sulking with a towel on his head when things get tough is a win.

Sooty likes this.
  2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Back to the topic…this was the first I’ve seen him play extensively in the nfl and i was impressed. Texans are bad, particularly up front, but he didn’t seem lost or scared, it looked like he saw and processed the field well, and the guy can throw darts.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Put some NFL talent around him and see what happens....

Sooty likes this.
  4. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Watson has caused so much trauma to this fanbase… Cj hate will always be linked to Watson and his representation. No matter how good Cj will be it will continue to be brought up…

I’m seeing comments about Cj sounds like a idiot.. personal shots at him when there not analyzing his play. Thought at least this will be a positive spot on the team.. but its seem it’s not.

5. houston19519

houston19519 Member

It’s only hollow because it’s Cj doing it seems. No other fanbase would be saying this bs if there rookie qb achieved this. Since the narrative of him not being good is quietly changing let’s make light of what we’re seeing as hollow and it meaning nothing.

houstonstime likes this.
  6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Oh I’m sorry, is that you Nick or Demeco? The conspiracy theory is strong right here.

The Texans in 2022 were the 6th most profitable franchise in sports. What pain or urgency did they have to draft a QB for marketing purposes? Such a weird take lol.

7. tmacfor35

This is hilarious.

Maye and Sanders have done absolute Jack in college let alone the NFL.

Would love to hear how they are better prospects lmao…..

8. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You don’t know Stroud would have been the 2nd QB. AR very likely could have been.

And I agree, that’s on the GM or owner. Whoever forced the QB

raining threes likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maye and Williams are 100% better prospects. Every scouting service in the draft circles had them above last season.
    Sanders is playing out of his mind and if he keeps it up he’s going to be a higher upside player too. That’s not even the end of the class.
    We forced a pick when the class this year is as deep as any before, specially with talent like Stroud.

raining threes likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Stroud already has some designated haters in the sub, it's kind of funny actually.

I was indifferent to the pick, still am, but even if I didn't like it I wouldn't make it my passion to come around and remind people how much I don't like him every time I post, almost in a religious manner

Totally not a hater though :rolleyes:

12. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Still doesn’t mean they will have better careers then Cj. You have no idea where these young men will be going in the league.. these young qbs are ruined year after year depending on where there drafted and the circumstances surrounding the organization.

cmoak1982 and Fulgore like this.
  13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

June said, "Ward, I think you were a little hard on the beaver last night".

verse and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

When we drafted Stroud I was disappointed, but knew it was going to happen.
    I was not really a fan of any QB in this draft. Thought he was the typical OSU QB with pro level players making it look easy for him.
    But I must say, even with a short sample size, he has turned me around.
    He is surrounded by turnstiles and matadors at current, but still is leading the receivers in a way they can can YAC. Have not seen this for many years from this team.
    Do not know what the future holds, but given the hand he has been dealt, he had accounted pretty well for himself so far.

Now back to some on this board's regularly scheduled p!ssing match

16. tmacfor35

Their ego is so fragile that they do not want to be proven wrong. It’s gotten bad because they just keep digging their hole more and more.

mario_v and houston19519 like this.
  17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

18. showa13

showa13 Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, idk why some of y’all are getting so upset about it. Y’all need to chill and walk outside, the temp is steadily dropping(albeit by like a degree or two) in Houston so it’s no longer an oven.

I will say that I’m of the opinion of idk how you can come out of these two games without being very encouraged by Stroud. Again, no INTs is MASSIVE, he got lucky on one throw but generally speaking his throws are placed where either the WR can get it or no one can get it. The other massive thing is he’s getting his butt kicked behind a worse than trash OL, but he’s getting back up and continuing to stay in the pocket and play his game. His OC isn’t helping him much, but idk how you can sit there and not be impressed by what you’ve seen so far. With a competent OL I can see Stroud picking apart defenses.

As for AR, it’s easy to look good when you’re throwing the ball to wide open WRs and TEs, and the athleticism was obvious. He’s also got a better offensive coach. He’s big, but injuries always are a concern with run first QBs.

19. raining threes

This isn't just me saying this this is former scouts like Bryan Broaddus saying this about Maye.

20. raining threes

I'm not a hater, I just think the 2024 QB class is better and wish that they would've built the team out 1st then drafted their QB. That and I dont like Hannah mandating picks to the football people.