1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not the one who brought up that mattering

2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

All,
    I didn't want to take CJ and would have preferred taking Mr. Anderson and continuing to build slower.

With that said, in the first 2 games with spotty OL play and not much of a running game, I have been pleasantly surprised.

He needs to work on throwing the ball away, alibi quicker decision making and protecting the ball when pressured, but when he gets some rhythm he's delivered some nice balls.

He's a little awkward and I'm not sure why Bobby doesn't roll him to the right more, but he makes some throws that make you feel better about later in the season.

While the fumble sucked he kept the ball away from defenders on his throws.

He took some yardage with his legs after missing a chance or two early, so he's adjusting.

Really good to see him open up and hit some different targets. Loved how he got Tank and Dalton involved. Would like to see some more check downs to the backs.

Personally I would not have mortgaged the future for CJ, but then I'm not a pro scout or GM, so I'll keep riding the train a little longer until we see a OL with at least 3 or 4 normal starters in front.

On defense, I think we saw how important are starting safeties are to making it work.

Injuries suck, rookie coaches will continue to learn, but Indy was the better team today and Tank should have had 2 TDs, not one.

Live long and prosper my CF brothers and sisters!

#1782 Shark44, Sep 17, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

well we didn't mortgage the future for CJ; we picked him at 2

cbass and ReliantTexan like this.
  4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

No, we made a decision to take CJ to decrease Cards leverage to then trade up for Anderson. The trade was really to build a better marketing package for this year's team.

We can debate strategy, but team's leadership wanted a QB headliner. CJ may ultimately become the guy and make the transaction/gamble worth it. It's done and as fans we can debate would've or could've all day, but instead I'll watch it play out and hope it works.

We're only 2 games into a 17 game season and nothing looks terrible except OL and Safety depth so far. So I'm optimistic it will work out.

raining threes, Kim and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

I fail to see how this translates to mortgaging the future for Stroud and not Anderson. There's lots of theories floating around about which direction ownership and the front office wanted to go with the 2nd pick, but when it came down to it I think Bryce/CJ was always going to be the pick at 2. I also think DeMeco desperately wanted the Alabama kid in a Texans uniform and the trade was done in large part to appease him.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

They shouldn’t have forced a QB

raining threes likes this.
  7. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

It's isn't forcing when QB is a gaping hole in your roster.

javal_lon, cbass and Fulgore like this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s forcing when there wasn’t a QB worth drafting there and being forced to trade a massive haul for the player the coach wants.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Sooty likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Sooty and DonkeyMagic like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

ReliantTexan and Sooty like this.
  12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I realized my errors. Guy has an issue. Ignored. Thank you

Zen Tabak likes this.
  13. The geth & the reaper

Then that’s on the Gm Casario, Stroud was going to be the 2nd quarterback taken whether at 2,3 or 4. The only thing that was being forced here was the commitment/agreement to let a 1st year Coach get his guy. Any other coach and they would have only drafted Stroud.

cbass likes this.
  14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

through two games which I admit is a short sample. It does not seem we forced the QB pick.

he’s played as good or better than any other QB taken in the 1st round over the past 2-3 years in their first two games.

the fumbles suck but he’s protecting the ball and is fairly efficient.

I mean the kid looks like he’ll put up 4000 passing yards and 20-25 tds as a rookie.

I think going into the season we would all think that is a huge success and way over expectations if we’re being honest.

CJ looks good and I’m excited to see him play behind our real Oline.

cbass and raining threes like this.
  15. raining threes

Imagine if they had signed Minshew and drafted WA and traded up for Carter. The defense wouldn't have gotten gashed by the run today.

2024 is a better QB class, Williams, Maye and Sanders are all looking like better prospects. IMHO.

16. raining threes

Who are normal guys?

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Top 5 in passing yards

Sooty likes this.
  18. raining threes

He's a good QB who's agent is going to ruin this franchises opportunity to win a championship after year three. These guys are about getting paid, not about their clients winning championships/

19. raining threes

Which means absolutely nothing.

A very hollow stat.

20. The geth & the reaper

Welcome to the NFL !?…

cbass and red5rocket like this.