1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m very encouraged by what he’s doing with how trash the line and run game has been, but he still hasn’t shown anything that is just wow

houston19519 likes this.
  2. HeyBudLetsParty

One thing that very clear is the “CJ is dumb” narrative they tried to throw out before the draft was absolutely ridiculous. He’s improving at a really fast pace, and getting better by the quarter. Once the oline is healthy, this offense could do damage.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Nico has been hurt.
    I am encouraged by what he’s doing but there’s still nothing special so far.
    You guys get so upset because I’m not super high on Stroud, I think he has the upside to be a good QB. That’s not what I want for this team.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No. We don’t have a QB that makes others better.
    Woods has been a good receiver and Nico has been hurt

5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I asked you this once before but what can CJ do to prove to you that he's a good QB?

Despite playing two very good defenses, he's put up over 200+ yds each game, had a plus 60% completion ratio, w/o an interception AND a banged up oline.

What else do HE have to do, not the Texans but him?

red5rocket and Boii like this.
  6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

CJ Stroud is him , he's only going to keep improving

red5rocket, Rudyc281, Fulgore and 2 others like this.
  7. conquistador#11

Please stop comparing Stroud to Herbert. I want my guy to actually win something!

(trollish laugh)

red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We have no idea how AR would have looked the rest of the game either.

The first drive he looked solid, he didn't make any amazing passes but he made plays with his legs.

The 2nd drive was a gift thanks to a Stroud fumble. I mean yeah he did score a TD but it's not like it was some masterpiece 98 yard drive. It was opportunistic. Credit where credit is due, he capitalized on the short field given him.

The third drive he did nothing.

For all we know he could have proceeded to do nothing or throw a few INTs. Minshew came in and did the Vet QB thing of doing just enough to win a game.

So far I think Stroud has looked like the better QB, we'll see what Bryce does tomorrow.

red5rocket, deb4rockets, Qan and 4 others like this.
  9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You are egotistical. The type that ignores reality because it goes against his own beliefs.

Truly, you are sick in the head. How is Will Levis, the Larry Bird of the NFL doing? You know, the guy you proclaimed to be the best of the class doing? 3rd string still......

mario_v and DonkeyMagic like this.
  10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I thought AR looked great to start the game, but as we all know. Running QB's have to tone it down as their careers go on.

My thoughts with QB potential pair with this.

How do you do when its 3rd down and long? Can you make a play? AR once again was inaccurate when asked to throw further than 10 yards.

He will need to improve that if he plans on being one of the best of the game.

But..... he doesn't look like a bust to me. I think the Colts got themselves a good one.

I just think Stroud has a higher ceiling due to his throwing ability.

Boii, JayGoogle and Two Sandwiches like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Mother****ers

Why do you normal guys keep talking to the 2 other guys?

You are ****ing things up for everybody.

Stop it.

12. The geth & the reaper

lololol nico has never been able to get over 100 yards him being hurt doesn’t matter in games where he was targeted 10-12 times but only could muster 80 yards. If Nico collins has a career year nobody Absolutely nobody will say “ Ohmergurd gee wiz Nico is finally healthy so he’s pretty good now!”

ROXRAN likes this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

JT O'Sullivan called him out for a play where he took a sack last week. He said as a quarterback, when you have pass rushers in your face (in this particular instance), you have to get some distance, even if it means dropping back further, in order to throw the ball away.

Stroud did that literally the first or second time he got pressure in his face.

That's his week to week improvement in a nutshell. I don't think they were lying when they said he is quick to correct his mistakes.

Zen Tabak, red5rocket and ROXRAN like this.
  14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Facts. I’d like to see him behind a nfl caliber offensive line. Give that kid time he’ll pick you apart.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Let's just hope and pray the bad o-line doesn't ruin him like it did David Carr and countless other qbs. Dude might become shellshocked after all those hits and be afraid to let it fly.

TheJet likes this.
  16. houston19519

houston19519 Member

The fact that your encouraged is a great start. Like you I wasent a big fan of Cj during the draft process.. me personally I was a Bryce guy. But like you I’m quite encouraged by his play. Mainly with the fact that everything isn’t perfect.. the knock on him was he had elite talent around him so that’s what made him great. Seeing him play well considering the circumstances is encouraging. He has room to grow but I’m liking what I’m seeing. I also think the offense needs to evolve to Cj talent.. he is a gunslinger that gifted with arm talent.. throw that ball all over the field to have the pass open up the run.. not try to run to open up the pass. Colts are playing to AR strength.. Texans should do the same. Just a random thought..

houstonstime likes this.
  17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I think also with experience, I get the sense he can really do damage in the no huddle type tempo in the future …We may have 99 problems right now but CJ is NOT one of them

Yes it’s only two games but considering everything and what he’s having to work with and the progression that we’ve seen how can you not be excited?

18. houston19519

houston19519 Member

Personally I’m not upset.. it will take you longer to be convinced Cj is the answer. That’s fine.. I’ve seen folks on Twitter that’s way worse.. there hoping for Cj down fall just to be right.. in the end we’re fans of this team.. we might not all like Cj.. but him succeeding is something we should all want.. even if the Qb isn’t necessarily you wanted in the first place.

#1758 houston19519, Sep 17, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    houstonstime, Zen Tabak and Sooty like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

What other "countless" QBs?

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Right, this is my fear with AR.

He relies on his legs. It's not like Mahomes where he can tear you up and never at once scramble, AR DEPENDS on his legs and these QBs have short shelf lives. I mean it's been two games and two injuries already.

That is the truth of it, if its 3rd and long is he going to get it done? Can he get it done on obvious passing situations where he drops back?

I guess we'll see but honestly I don't care as much about it because it seems pretty obvious (so far) that Stroud has a chance to be really really good.

Sooty and Two Sandwiches like this.