1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets looking to trade KPJ....WTF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Sep 13, 2023.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The hate is well deserved. Tilman has been a subpar owner and we've sucked for 3 straight seasons. Not only have we sucked, but we been the absolute worst team. We paired the young guys with some introverted coach that let them do as they play and we kept a GM that has zero regard for culture and player relationships, plus he liked to meddle in coaching affairs.

We've attempted to groom a troubled player for the past 2 years to be one of our franchise players. Most of us were on board with the experiment, but quickly realized after year 1 that this was a really bad idea and wanted to stop. You had a few supporters like DD that were attracted by the empty stats, but overall, most of us were done after year 1. However, the organization wasn't and he was named head honcho in year 2.

So the hate on the organization is well deserved.

Now, the situation is that we have an individual that almost killed his girlfriend being used to likely put together some **** deal that will not benefit us. Ultimately, we have to spend 90% of the cap (or whatever that figure is) so us eating his salary is not that big of a deal. Sure we can trade for some player, but at what costs? Why should we trade draft capital for some veteran that is likely to not really amount to anything. We aren't talking about taking on OG Anuoby (SP?), Siakam, Wiggins, etc. We are talking about lower level talent, like Duncan Robinson or Davis Bertans that don't have a place in this team due to their extra years on their contract that make no sense to have on the team if the money matches.

It's a stupid idea and the best thing that can happen to us is for the NBA to vanish him.

YOLO, Joe Rocket, REEKO_HTOWN and 4 others like this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of money for this man. I remember when he was on TV crying during the pandemic. b**** ass fool.

3. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it is the 16 million. It is Porter has to be replaced. What cap space or exceptions are there to replace him? This isn't baseball.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Can you name one player or team that would be dealing positive asset for a few second round picks and the PR firestorm? I can't. Maybe Charlotte if they want to dump Terry Rozier's contract on us. Is that a positive asset to you?

This reeks of desperation from the front office trying to put together some patchwork bs after tying their anchor to a known headcase.

The whining as you put it relates to an idiotic front office that keeps fumbling over and over again with soon to be prison all star KPJ. Public relations matter.

"We are cutting ties with Kevin Porter Jr and exploring all options while the league conducts it's investigation." and then don't go leaking trade rumors to the media like a bunch of clowns.

YOLO, Joe Rocket, kingjosh and 5 others like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Glad you are on this side, we have common ideas.

6. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

KPJ would’ve been a restricted free agent which means we would’ve been able to match.

Did you see all the RFAs this summer that got huge deals from other teams?

NO ONE was gonna offer KPJ a contract, let alone a crazy one…

Austin Reaves was an RFA and didn’t get a single
    Offer from another team…. The RFA market is different and Stone mismanaged KPJ from the very beginning

maypk, YOLO, Joe Rocket and 3 others like this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Would be true if this wasn’t a case where a player is untenable for every single NBA team because he’s likely going to jail, and a situation where his contract is only guaranteed for this year and a million next year.

Also worth noting that even James Harden this summer and Russel Westbrook last year were both essentially untradeable players. And neither of them were under arrest for strangulation of a woman.

In order to “just trade” KPJ the rockets will need to be offering some pretty valuable draft capital… draft capital assets that I’d argue has as much value for the rockets as it does most teams.

So yeah… every team in the league would be “looking” to trade him ideally but the facts of the matter are either going to dictate them giving up significant draft assets to get another bad contract just to have a bad contract, or them waiving him and eating his salary.

What people like me are saying is why in this case wouldn’t you seize on the opportunity to establish some level of moral principles?? You aren’t getting Paul George for KPJ’s contract and two 2nd round picks. You probably aren’t getting Robert Covington.

So if 1st round picks and KPJ can get a really good player and valuable contract today why wouldn’t they have made that deal yesterday?

So go ahead and “try” but every day you delay and kick the tires is a day longer that proves you care more about minor cap and salary maneuvers than you do basic moral principles.

Joe Rocket, kubli9 and ArtV like this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So your winning has to do with you not thinking they can get a deal done along with worrying about the PR when it comes to morons?

I'd argue you worry about the best interest of the team, not the whining simpletons. If you can get a deal done that helps the team, you do it and you ignore the moralizing mob of morons. They are going to whine no matter what, they aren't the kind of people who matter.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If they can make a good deal..... not the small deal that can snow ball to a medium sized deal snow ball to a big deal.

That is just vague wording....like when Stone said we have 90 million cap space and signed Van Vleet, Brooks, Landale, Jeff with it.......

Disappointing times. Who are the morons now......the organization will always have an excuse at disposal.

Most of us have just gotten used to it.

ArtV likes this.
  10. fattz

fattz Member

The public will forget Porter and Silas as soon as we start winning. They are the equivalent of the rebound, one night stands after being in a long term relationship. Yes, they happened but do you really remember each of their names? If any of them?

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was only talking about the PR issue, this will stick for a longer while.

Exxon is still profitable but it had massive oil spills and people are always reminded of it.

12. fattz

fattz Member

Of course it is; a coach’s dream is to have playable players.

Easy likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you can make any kind of positive move while dumping a toxic asset, you do it.

houston19519 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am pragmatic, I do what is necessary but does not mean I have to like it.... that I will see to it that it will get undone ...

See that is the problem, even when you are dumping that toxic asset, you cannot even come out and give a statement.

I tell you and not just you, the Rox are so bad at PR that they cannot even comment on it.

15. fattz

fattz Member

Okay and if their gas is a few cents cheaper then the next station. Guess where most will get their gas.

We start winning and a few of the kids pan out. The uniforms will change and there we will be. No one remembers a thing.

Reality is, the season starts and folks like you and I will not look back. The two will soon be punch lines to bad jokes. The PR team to one of the worst franchise needs the team to win before anyone (other than folks like you and me) even pretends to care.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Sucking for three straight seasons... Please tell me which owner would have changed that if the goal was to rebuild?

A different owner maybe would have thought not to do that to satisfy fans like you and we could have continued the WOW factor to get us middling 35-40 wins and then you can brag about how we weren't one of the worst twsms in the laague.

KPJ is a failed experiment but ask yourself how many GMs before Stone/Tillman took over would have traded their roster for the Rockets roster vs how many GMs today would trade their roster for ours. Has it increased? Decreased?

Tillman and Stone have failed in these aspects:
    1. KPJ failed experiment
    2. Not sprinkling the roster with actual competent vets in their prime.
    3. Hiring Silas as head coach

But overall roster construction, I really don't have many qualms with. We have a collection of about 6 guys 21 or under who range from superstar to above average starter potential.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let me say this, Kevin Porter was not that important even before this horrible incident.

But now he has been upgraded to being a danger, he actually got famous, better said, infamous around the world.

The Rockets that were just a joke in the NBA, became a global nuisance.

The Rockets fans would not care in 3 months, but guess what, the world will still remember.

And a lot of women will remember Porter, also some will remember that he was employed by the Rockets back then.

fattz and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

But you are right, personally as a fan, I would be cherishing basketball more after what happened.

That is true. I will never forget what happened but watching basketball would bring more joy, and comfort.

I hate to make the comparison but similarly like Jews never forgot.

Harry Potter never forgets Voldemort or Severus.

19. fattz

fattz Member

that’s fair. what will said people do with the remembrance? no one is buying Rockets merchandise anyway. will they not like the worst team in the league? will they think less of us? I don’t think the PR team has much to work with save. is my point.

Porter is so screwed, the faster he is gone the better. I think the Rockets have some liability because they condoned his behavior leading up to this event. Publicly covering up his actions as they seem to get bigger and bigger. I am glad this wasn’t a homicide.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm bored and waiting for my pizza so I'll keep engaging in this. I tried to ask you some questions about potential players and teams but you ignored them as if I was whining. You dismissed anything I brought up as whining. You are putting on blinders to any sort of discussion even though you are trying to come off as logical and calculated.

Again....is acquiring a vet salary dump an asset to you? Is there any reason why you think offering up 2nd round picks will gain anything of value? Is there any player on any team that seems like it makes sense?

I don't see anything and this all seems like fantasy land from the Rockets.

YOLO and Joe Rocket like this.